Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot update device names/types

Cannot update device names/types

My system consists of 1 RBR50 and two RBS50 satellites running in AP mode behind a router with DHCP server.

Ever since I performed the firmware update to 2.3.5.30 (although I'm not 100% sure if it's really related), in some cases and

for some of the connected devices I am not able to change their name/type/icon, not via the web interface nor the phone app.

Did anyone else notice this? Is this a bug in the firmware? Or do I neet to perform a reset of some sort to clean up the mess and start all over again associating MAC/IP numbers with names/types/icons? Any ideas? 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? Try IE11 or FireFox or Opera to change the configuration.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed then try to change the devices configuration using a web browser? 

Message 2 of 25

Yes, correct. I had a reset but the newest firmware is still on. Not sure whether the reset was down to factory settings and then reinstalled the firmware or whether the system just kept the same firmware and just reset the basic settings. Anyhow that's when it started. Anything that's still in cache and kept by the satellites, maybe? I'm using the web interface with Chrome. Also tried with IE. Same result. It's not all of the entries though. Some changed after I entered data 10 times. Others only chance the name and the rest states the same... looks like an internal database issue?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Doing a factory reset only resets the configurat of the RBR and RBS back to factory defaults. Does not change actual FW versions to something else. 

Possible a FW and data base issue. Something you might contact NG support about and see if they can help or at least let them know there is a problem here. 

One thing to try, i would manually download the FW file for the RBR and usnig a wired PC, load the FW file, factory reset. Setup from scratch. Turn OFF ALL devices accept for the PC. Turn on 1 device and see if the RBR sees the device and see if you can edit the devices info. I would also do a IP address reservation on this device as well, save and apply. Turn the next device. Can you still edit device names? 

Message 4 of 25

Thanks for the help. Not a big issue of course. I won't do another firmware upgrade just for that. Takes too much time to get the Orbi system running again. The satellite connect process is tedious as well. I can still change the name, just not the type/model field before and the icon/type field behind the name. Not via the web browser and also not via the phone app. Icons simply go back to the default after 10 seconds. As I said: not a big deal, just annoying. Perhaps this disappears with the next update...
Message 5 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@jtcommunity wrote:
Thanks for the help. Not a big issue of course. I won't do another firmware upgrade just for that. 

Great advice.  I hope all goes well.Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Something you might contact a Forum moderator about and let them know. Hopefully fixed on next update. 

Enjoy. 

@jtcommunity wrote:
Thanks for the help. Not a big issue of course. I won't do another firmware upgrade just for that. Takes too much time to get the Orbi system running again. The satellite connect process is tedious as well. I can still change the name, just not the type/model field before and the icon/type field behind the name. Not via the web browser and also not via the phone app. Icons simply go back to the default after 10 seconds. As I said: not a big deal, just annoying. Perhaps this disappears with the next update...

Message 7 of 25

Problem got progressively worse after update of all Orbis to V2.5.0.38. Half of the device name entries can be changed, the other half refuses to change (at all). Doesn't matter if the device is connected to router or one of the satellites (my system has one RBR50 and two RBS50 satellites). After the update, I even switched off the satellites, deleted the device connection and reconnected them again. No change. If I look in the web interface of the satellites, 2.4 kHz connections are not shown (although they're definitely there, I pinged them) and the other device names show as "UNKNOWN" although they're specified in the RBR50. What's going on here? Do I have to completely reset the satellites and router to default after every firmware upgrade? Really? 

Message 8 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 9 of 25

It got worse again tonight: I decided to see whether disconnecting, resetting and reconnecting the satellites would help. It changed nothing. Still the names cannot be changed. And what's worse: I could connect both satellites again, but the second one, while being correctly shown in the web pages of the router as connected with the right name and IP-number, cannot be pinged anymore! This means that opening the web interface also doesn't work. When looking in the web interface for the first satellite all connected devices are shown as UNKNOWN. What's happening with the second satellite, I don't know. Perhaps the reset damaged the firmware part for the web server. I also gave the second satellite a different IP number in the DHCP router (the Orbi router doesn't do that as it's in AP mode). It's correctly shown again in the web interface of the Orbi router and also in the DHCP router but it still cannot be pinged on the IP number. Any help would be appreciated.
Message 10 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you removed or disconnected the RBS from the RBRs web page. Then factory reset the RBS and then re-sync them wirelessly, one at a time while in the same room as the RBR? 

If you can get them added one at a time, do a IP address reservation for each RBS on the RBR for them. 

There is nothing you can do for the device naming issue. NG will have to get it fixed hopefully in the next FW update. 

Message 11 of 25

That's more or less exactly what I did. I didn't reconnect them in the same room wirelessly, but in good proximity. The connection is good. I have IP reservations for both satellites, but since I cannot ping the second one, I changed the reservation for that one to a different IP to see what happens. As I said, the router web page now shows both satellites well connected with the right data and IP numbers but I cannot ping the second one anymore, nor can I get to its web page, of course.
By the way, I did not remove the first satellite by clicking the remove button on the router web page before I reconnected it. I only did it before reconnecting the second one. Could that be a reason? Although, the first one works as expected.
Looks like I have to factory reset everything now...
Message 12 of 25

Don't worry about that problem anymore. I just switched off the second satellite, changed its DHCP binding to another IP number again and then had the satellite restart... after some white flashing the ring turned blue and then after several minutes it turned off. Checked the ping and it was working. Could log in to the satellite's web page as well. So, at least I'm back to where I was. Now I'm waiting for an update for the FW to solve the naming issue...
Message 13 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Anything is possible.

Does the RBS work in regards to internet connections for the one RBS that you can't access or ping? 

I would factory reset. I would swap RBSs as well. Install the 2nd RBS first wirelessly. Besure the other RBS is turned off. Once the RBS is installed, set up a IP address reservation for it and save and apply. The RBR will reboot. Check to make sure you can ping and access it's web page. If so. Log off and turn it OFF. Power on the next RBS and do the same thing. Once IP reserved and the RBR reboots check Ping and web page access. If good. Power off the RBS. Please the RBSs at there remote locations. Power ON the RBS 1 at a time. Then check for ping and web page access. 

@jtcommunity wrote:
That's more or less exactly what I did. I didn't reconnect them in the same room wirelessly, but in good proximity. The connection is good. I have IP reservations for both satellites, but since I cannot ping the second one, I changed the reservation for that one to a different IP to see what happens. As I said, the router web page now shows both satellites well connected with the right data and IP numbers but I cannot ping the second one anymore, nor can I get to its web page, of course.
By the way, I did not remove the first satellite by clicking the remove button on the router web page before I reconnected it. I only did it before reconnecting the second one. Could that be a reason? Although, the first one works as expected.
Looks like I have to factory reset everything now...

Message 14 of 25

Thanks for the procedure.

As I said in the next post, I solved the problem myself. I have no idea why what I did din't work two times and then worked the third time I did it. What is different from your proposal is that my RBR does not do the DHCP binding, because it is set up as an AP.

The IP number comes from the router of my internet provider.

Perhaps something was wrong or needed to restart there...

Message 15 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Well that explains more. Well if the Orbi is in AP mode, then any DHCP reservations behaviors on the upstream router would need to be looked at there. 

Something else to try later on if you want to, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.

@jtcommunity wrote:

Thanks for the procedure.

As I said in the next post, I solved the problem myself. I have no idea why what I did din't work two times and then worked the third time I did it. What is different from your proposal is that my RBR does not do the DHCP binding, because it is set up as an AP.

The IP number comes from the router of my internet provider.

Perhaps something was wrong or needed to restart there...

Message 16 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Care to give v40 a try? Looks like one user said the naming of devices seems fixed for him. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Where-are-the-device-names-located-when-in-a-telnet-session/td...

@jtcommunity wrote:

My system consists of 1 RBR50 and two RBS50 satellites running in AP mode behind a router with DHCP server.

Ever since I performed the firmware update to 2.3.5.30 (although I'm not 100% sure if it's really related), in some cases and

for some of the connected devices I am not able to change their name/type/icon, not via the web interface nor the phone app.

Did anyone else notice this? Is this a bug in the firmware? Or do I neet to perform a reset of some sort to clean up the mess and start all over again associating MAC/IP numbers with names/types/icons? Any ideas? 

Message 17 of 25

No hurry. I'll wait for the next official update.

Message 18 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@jtcommunity wrote:

No hurry. I'll wait for the next official update.

Smart decision.  Official as in auto push.  No more manual updates

Message 19 of 25
StDupont
Aspirant

No guarantee that an official release is any better...2.5.0.38 was an official release pushed out to ORBI, and I had to spend a few hours to get everything going again and the device naming issues still exists.

I hesitated before updating to v2.5.0.38 - naming issue is kinda big deal as I have more than 30 connected devices and I don't remember all the Mac IDs by heart...

1.  One of the satellites had connection issues...I had to try moving it closer, factory reset (multiple times), etc...before it started to work like it did prior to the update...and I ended up moving the satellite back to its original location as well...which tells me the issues were firmware/software related, not the location/hardware.

2.  Not only are you not able to change/update device names, many device names are jumbled between them.  A couple "unknown" devices popped up under blocked as well (I used MAC ID filter).

So much for the official release...Hope Netgear releases a v3 soon...

Message 20 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@StDupont wrote:

No guarantee that an official release is any better...2.5.0.38 was an official release pushed out to ORBI, and I had to spend a few hours to get everything going again and the device naming issues still exists.

I hesitated before updating to v2.5.0.38 -

That's the part I don't think we're on the same wave.  You said...".2.5.0.38 was an official release pushed out to ORBI,"...then you said..."I hesitated before updating to v2.5.0.38"

It is my understanding that an official release is auto pushed - nothing required for the user.

The other releases you see when you login to your router may not be ready for prime time.

My point is, don't update your firmware manually.  Why would you IF your system is working?

Message 21 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

v40 is avialble to try. Is a hot fix for the invalid Certificate issue. One user said it seem to fix his device naming problems aswell. I might work for you:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Where-are-the-device-names-located-when-in-a-telnet-session/m-...

@StDupont wrote:

I hesitated before updating to v2.5.0.38 - naming issue is kinda big deal as I have more than 30 connected devices and I don't remember all the Mac IDs by heart...

1.  One of the satellites had connection issues...I had to try moving it closer, factory reset (multiple times), etc...before it started to work like it did prior to the update...and I ended up moving the satellite back to its original location as well...which tells me the issues were firmware/software related, not the location/hardware.

2.  Not only are you not able to change/update device names, many device names are jumbled between them.  A couple "unknown" devices popped up under blocked as well (I used MAC ID filter).

So much for the official release...Hope Netgear releases a v3 soon...

Message 22 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 23 of 25
kalyson
Aspirant

I am on firmware version V1.4.1.42_1.3.4  and upgraded from .30.    This exact problem showed up after the upgrade.  

So apparently Netgear has STILL not been able to fix this problem.

Pathetic.    Looking at other router manufacturers now.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 24 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Um, your way behind on FW. v2.5.1.8 has solved the device naming issue. Please manually download it and apply to your RBS first then RBR lastly. Factory reset the system and setup from scratch. Then name your devices. It works. 

@kalyson wrote:

I am on firmware version V1.4.1.42_1.3.4  and upgraded from .30.    This exact problem showed up after the upgrade.  

So apparently Netgear has STILL not been able to fix this problem.

Pathetic.    Looking at other router manufacturers now.

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7