Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Change from ATT to Orbi

mclink
Follower

Change from ATT to Orbi

I will be changing cable servive ftom ATT Uverse to Comcast Triple Play.....TV / Internet / Phone and need to replace to ATT supplied router. CAN I REPLACE IT WITH ORBI RBK50 SYSTEM (1 ROUTER + 1 SATELLITE) ? AND WILL THE ORBI ROUTER ALLOW LAND LINE PHONE CONNECTION ?

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Change from ATT to Orbi

@mclink wrote:

I will be changing cable servive ftom ATT Uverse to Comcast Triple Play.....TV / Internet / Phone and need to replace to ATT supplied router. CAN I REPLACE IT WITH ORBI RBK50 SYSTEM (1 ROUTER + 1 SATELLITE) ? AND WILL THE ORBI ROUTER ALLOW LAND LINE PHONE CONNECTION ?

Orbi RBK50 does not support a POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) line, what we used to call a "2500 set" in Western Electric terminology.  When Comcast provides telephone service, they will supply a modem which provides a telephone jack that you can connect to whatever you want.  I have mine (Spectrum) connected to the base unit of a Panasonic cordless system with six handsets.  Some people connect to the existing telephone wiring in the house.

What you want to do is ask Comcast to install a modem/phone only unit, with no router and no WiFi.

That way, the Orbi will provide router functions and WiFi.

There is a model of Orbi that bundles a data modem into the unit, but it does not provide telephone service.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Change from ATT to Orbi

You can get a Orbi with a built in cable modem if thats of any interest:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/We-Squeezed-a-Cable-Modem-under-the-...

@mclink wrote:

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7