Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Changing Of RBK50 Ownership "Ain't Easy"

Chuck_M
Mentor

Changing Of RBK50 Ownership "Ain't Easy"

So I upgraded from the Netgear RBR-50 to an AX-6000 like many will do.

I had registered the RBR-50 the day I purchased it.  I can log on and see see the support site telling me it is registered to me (by serial number) when I log on (with my same registered email).  It also reports it is out of the (short) warranty period.

I had put in a support ticket (# 41892497) to have the ownership transfered to a new owner since I upgraded to the AX-6000 thinking this would be a simple request..

Not so much.

I was asked to provide a photo of the SN plate on the bottom of the RBR, my email address, my phone number, the new owner's name, phone number and email address -- all of which I did.  Crickets.

Nothing happened after that -- even after followup calls, messages, inquiries and emails.

I fInally I got a message asking if I have proof of ownership.   Ummm... the Netgear database SHOWS I am the owner.  The netgear support site shows I am the owner.   I registered it with the SAME email address that also requested the ownership change.  I am NOT going to send Netgear receipts or other data they dont need. 

The netgear site clearly shows they wont provide support for the RBR since it is out of the support period, so why in the heck are they acting like the router belongs to them?

Why is a transfer of ownership so hard when it comes from a registered email address?  Consider I used the same email address for this request that  I registered the system with intially (and didnt have to provide proof of purchase upon registration!)

With the fielding of the new AX series, they will probably see a lot more of these requests... each one heavily beauracratic, demoralizign for customers and unnecessary.  The new users want to use the Orbi app but they cannot until it is transferred in the Netgear database.  That wont happen until Netgear gets off their duff and supports their registered customers.

I have previously also informed our friend @Blanca -- and surprisingly still nothing has happened.  She usually has a pretty good track record of busting through BS.

Netgear:  get your act together.  You are not authorized to look at my receipts and this should not be hard.  You dont own my router -- I do.  Heck, you even say you won't support it on the website that shows it is mine -- so why are you acting like this is difficult?  Why dont registered users have the ability to transfer (via a netgear website) equipment their customers purchased without getting 20 questions from someone in Malaysia?

Yes... I am irritated and a loyal customer.  But you are challenging that loyalty.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully a forum moderator can help you out. Nothing we can do here in the forum in regards to reg's. 

@Blanca_O 

Message 2 of 6
Chuck_M
Mentor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Hopefully a forum moderator can help you out. Nothing we can do here in the forum in regards to reg's. 

@Blanca_O 

I know... just setting expectations for other early adopters who are looking to shed their old equipment.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 6

For some unfathomable, and unexplained, reason Netgear removed the ability to "deregister" kit some time last year.

Rather than going through the hassle that they inflicted on you, it might be easier just to warn whoever acquires the thing second hand and invite them to tell Netgear that they have taken over ownership. The moderators seem to be quicker off the mark with those requests.

Once question is what do you expect to achieve by transferring registration?

Warranties and support won't transfer.

If the idea is to wipe out any link between the hardware and things like remote access and management, then you may be able to do that yourself.

Message 5 of 6
Chuck_M
Mentor

As a typical rule-follower, I thought it was right to have the device registered under the new and rightful owner in case they:

• Wanted to purchase any tech support
  • Wanted to run the Orbi App and control that device under their own account
  • Not have the equipment traced to me, but the rightful owner at the time

Silly me, huh?

Bottom line, they finally transferred it to the new owner. 

It should be much easier.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7