Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Competitor speeds

cmschleich
Guide

Competitor speeds

Does anyone have experience with the 2nd generation Eero? I really want speed for streaming, hardwire if i have to (have had Orbi problems with that as well). My ISP offers 200Mbps lately.

I am so done with the amount of my time Orbi has wasted, I'm passed my excess free time and tinkering for pleasure days, I paid for this to work. I can't forgive or let go the number of quality issues their firmware has, within 10 minutes out of the box the problems started, and that's before I dared power on a satellite. Luckily I know the good 'ol trick to sloppy tech, reboot. Reinitiatlize all that non peer reviewed sloppy firmware code. Except this slop is so sloppity sloppish that not even repeated reboots are enough.

Did anyone at this company test this at all, did anyone actually follow the steps of the manual and check of boxes that the steps are described right AND work? It reminds me of an old Netgear router I had where the firmware update button went to 404. I'm putting this junk

in a box and getting a refund. Kudos to their package designers, at least someone did their job.

Message 1 of 8
Hydro130
Luminary

The v2 Eeros aren't released yet.

Sorry to hear your Orbi didn't pan out.

Mine's been working consistently very well since I bought it last fall.

Message 2 of 8
cmschleich
Guide

So if you change the IP address of the DHCP in your router, the satellites update? Mine are currently all sitting in the same room and I can't do something basic like that. 

Message 3 of 8

just to point out the 2nd gen erro wont be any faster than the original in both wifi speed or throughput , all it has is a second 5 gig transmission , eg thats what eero claim is why its twice as powerful as the first one but its just spin 

orbi is still the best throughput wise over its sats using wifi as the backhaul connection method 

if you have structured ethernet in place the obvious answer is to not use any mesh/DW at all and just employ wireless access points as has been done for many years in schools / offices and the like , using ethernet and access points is by far the best approach but for those that dont have or want structured ethernet then this is where orbi comes into its own 

Message 4 of 8
cmschleich
Guide

I thought access points usually come with speed sacrifices?
Message 5 of 8

@cmschleich wrote:
I thought access points usually come with speed sacrifices?

in what respect ?

connected by giga ethernet you get the full speed of your network to the transmission point then its wirelessly transmitted 

you may be confusing repeaters and extenders as they do have losses incured but just standard wireless access points connected back to your router via ethernet are still the best solution 

Message 6 of 8

@cmschleich wrote:

So if you change the IP address of the DHCP in your router, the satellites update? Mine are currently all sitting in the same room and I can't do something basic like that. 

btw im a little confused about what you are asking here 

as if you change the dhcp server / lan ip address of any router all devices connected to that router will follow and change address accordingly 

why are they sitting in the same room ? they wont work very well in such close proximity 

Message 7 of 8
cmschleich
Guide

I've never understood access point architecture vs repeating until what you just said, I've read about APs 10 different times in manuals. I probably should have been using APs for the past 3 years as an extension of my wired backbone.

I ultimately had to have my satellites that close for the initial setup and syncing. My satellites notoriously did not follow SSID Changes I made to the orbi router. Its over for now as I finally got them all to sync in, just the Web UI doesn't show the satellites because of bugs. That's what I wasted a lot of time on.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7