Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Computers on ethernet can't see wireless printers connected via Orbi

GDMACK
Star

Computers on ethernet can't see wireless printers connected via Orbi

I just got my Orbi RBK50.  I have a Comcast Modem with built in router.  I can't bypass the router on the Modem.  When I hook up the Orbi my PC's wirelessly via the Orbi they can see my wireless HP Printers, but when I hook up my PC's via ethernet the PC's can't see the wireless printers even though they are on the same network (albeit wireless for the printers).  In the past I had an Apple Airport Extreme which was put into bridge mode.  The modem with build in router connected to a switch into which I plugged the Airport Extreme and hard wired my PC's via ethernet.  The wireless PC's were connected to the network via the Airport Extreme.  That is my same setup:  The Modem ethernet goes to a switch, and an ethernet cable comes off the switch and plugs into the Orbi.  However, when I do this (wire it like I had my Airport Extreme wired), my computers can not see the wireless printers as they could with the Airport Extreme.  How do I make it so that with my Comcast modem with built in router I can wire my PC via ethernet, and still have my PC (which is wired via ethernet) be able to see the wireless printers which are hooked into my network via the Orbi?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: Computers on ethernet can't see wireless printers connected via Orbi

Use the web browse Admin interface: http://orbilogin.com

Go to Advanced... Advanced Setup... Rouer / AP Mode.  It will show two radio buttons, Router Mode vs. AP Mode.  You can change the setting and press Apply.

If your Orbi is already in AP Mode, try plugging your switch into the Orbi's ethernet ports instead of your modem.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
Mikey94025
Hero

It sounds like your Orbi might be setup in Router mode instead of Access Point mode.  Therefore things connected into the Orbi are getting a different set of IP addresses than the ones hardwired into your modem/switch.  Your Apple Airport was operating in AP mode which is why your setup worked before.

The problem now is that you have some things connected to the Orbi and others connected via the switch to the modem.  Why don't you connect your modem to the Orbi and then connect the switch to the Orbi via ethernet?  Then everything willl be able to see each other, regardless of the Orbi setup.

Message 2 of 5
GDMACK
Star

So how do I set my Orbi up as Access Mode?  On my iPhone App I can't see how to make the switch from Router Mode to Access Mode or back again.  In fact, I can't even see what mode it is in at all.  How does one check the seeings?  It was a breeze with the Apple Airport Extreme.  Not so with the Orbi.  Having said that, my WiFi at the far end of my house is 10X faster with the Orbi than it was with my Airport Extreme running a second Airport Extreme in Extend the Network mode.

Message 3 of 5
Mikey94025
Hero

Use the web browse Admin interface: http://orbilogin.com

Go to Advanced... Advanced Setup... Rouer / AP Mode.  It will show two radio buttons, Router Mode vs. AP Mode.  You can change the setting and press Apply.

If your Orbi is already in AP Mode, try plugging your switch into the Orbi's ethernet ports instead of your modem.

Message 4 of 5
GDMACK
Star

That did the trick.  I switched it to AP mode and moved my ethernet cable to an Orbi ethernet Port and all is well.  Thanks.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7