Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Configuring a new Orbi RBR50 as an AP when connected to an existing RBR50 router

PhysicsWorld
Guide

Configuring a new Orbi RBR50 as an AP when connected to an existing RBR50 router

Greetings:

I am trying to add a new RBR50 (to extend the coverage to my backyard) to an existing RBR50 router with 3 satellites.  I understand that the new RBR50 router has to be configured in AP mode.  I tried to follow the instructions given in https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

When I login into the router as instructed, it seems to me that I am changing the configuration of the existing router, not the new one.   Am I missing something here?  Greatly appreciate any assistance.

Message 1 of 2

Re: Configuring a new Orbi RBR50 as an AP when connected to an existing RBR50 router

@PhysicsWorld wrote:

Greetings:

I am trying to add a new RBR50 (to extend the coverage to my backyard) to an existing RBR50 router with 3 satellites.  I understand that the new RBR50 router has to be configured in AP mode. 

I find that the easiest way to do this is with the second router plugged into a PC that is not connected to the network.

Then just use the usual login process.

Put the router into AP mode, then take the network through the usual reboot sequence.

You might also be able to get at the second Orbi through its wifi SSID and IP address.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7