Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Conflicting Speed test

OrbinewbieUK
Aspirant

Conflicting Speed test

Hi all,

So connected up my Orbi finally....still looking at creating a backhaul for the second satellite but will do further research on the community.

I have a slight concern though regarding download speeds. Getting lots of conflicting data.

Old isp Router 220mbs (speed source ookla app)
Orbi App displays 200-220mbs
Ookla App 5-25mbs
Website speed tests 5-25mbs

Has anyone seen this before? I think the Orbi app is not show the true speed. I’ve used Ookla app for months and I think it’s pretty accurate.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Conflicting Speed test

Try using a browwer and speedtest.net, be sure to test different server sites and try different browsers. Seen varied results with different server locations and different browsers. Use a ethernet connected PC to the Orbi router to run speeds test. I would disable or disconnect ALL other devices while speed testing for best accurate results.

Message 2 of 4
Ulairi
Luminary

Hi ORBINEWBIEUK

I'm really intertested in your results, because it mirrors my own experience per this thread a week ago:   Orbi Throttling Speed

I tried two different routers along-side the Orbi (a Linksys E8500 and the ISP-provided Huawei HG659) and I got consistent results.  Using the Linksys or Huawei I got full speed of 200 Mbps.  Using the Orbi, I got between 107 to 37 Mbps.  My speed typically averages aound 70 Mbps, but can drop as low as 40 Mbps and as high as 140.  

The Orbi reports the full 200 Mbps speed into it (it has a internal speedtest at "Advanced", "Setup", "QoS Setup").

st_shaw was trying to be helpful in response to my thread, but all his/her suggestions missed the point from my testing:

• It was not a "failure of my computer's NIC to autonegotiate speed".   Back-to-back tests using the exact same set up (cables and the test PC) consistently returned the same results - Orbi slow, the other two routers full speed.

• It was not a "bad cable".  Despite trying different cables (to eliminate this potential cause) before I did the back-to-back testing with the same setup, the results were - again - consistent.

• It is not "different tolerances for marginal cables, so it could still be a cable or port issue".  As I mentioned, I tried different cables (all Cat 5E and Cat 6) and the fact that the two other routers were not affected disproves this theory (unless the Orbi's 'Internet' port is faulty, but it reports 200 Mbps in, so unlikely ...). 

I note that you're in UK.  I'm in New Zealand on Vodafone using their 'FibreX' service which is not true fibre. FibreX uses DOCSIS3.1 / DHCP and VLAN10 tagging.  My suspicion is that the Orbi doesn't play nicely with this architecture. 

Watching this thread with interest!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

I'm on a 200/10 ISP service here. I get 200/10 using the built in speed test app on the orbi.

I'm getting better than this with a ethernet wired PC with the router:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7180005086.png

Getting same results with iphone wireless connected to router using speedtest.net app. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7