Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connect USB disk to RBK53

dbligon
Aspirant

Connect USB disk to RBK53

I ordered a mesh system with 3 Orbi AC3000 (RBK 53). I need to set up a USB hub on one of the hubs. Anyone know of a good ethernet to USB 3.1 type 2 hub - I need to hooking up 12 disks.  Running a 50 foot cable across the house is not an option. Hooking up the disks directly to my computer is not an option (mostly due to space). Wondering if I ordered the wrong solution and need to return it for a solution that has built-in USB.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Connect USB disk to RBK53

Unfortuneately no, users been asking for USB drive support from Orbi for a while now. V2 Orbi AC and now Orbi AX doesn't even have the USB port in the back. Sorry. 

Message 2 of 8
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Orbi does not support ReadyNAS or USB disks.  The RBK53 v2 does not include a USB2 port, nor does newer models.  It does not appear that NG plans to support any USB devices going forward.

Message 3 of 8
dbligon
Aspirant

I am aware the RBK53 (Orbi AC8000) does not have a serial port (I purchased 3). I would be very surprised if I am alone with this problem. Therefore the request was if there is an ethernet<->USB device I can hang off the Orbi or a Wifi<->USB device that is not an arm and a leg I can connect to the Orbi. I found these:

https://www.digi.com/products/networking/infrastructure-management/usb-connectivity/usb-over-ip/anyw...

but they seem overkill for features and the 8 port is over $1000. Maybe I can hang the 2 port off the Orbi and attach a multiport USB to that, but that seems overly complicated and about $400 as well. I have an Netgear that the modem is going out on (1-30 Mbps instead of 960 Mbps - or anywhere near that - on a Nighthawk C7000 (AC1900)!), maybe I'll see if the Nighthawk ethernet hub and USB 2.0 is working on that and try using it. Maybe I'll see if I can find a good configuration that has USB built-in.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 4 of 8
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

You are asking for advice on a solution that has nothing to do with the Orbi.  Your Orbi will support any wired network device you want to attach, including a USB hub like the one you listed.

For me, if I needed to attached 12 USB disks to the network simultaneously, I would build at a cheap Linux host with multiple USB ports and setup Samba CIFS shares of the disks out onto the LAN.  Better yet, I would use a NAS with RAID1 or RAID5 for network disk storage (which is what I am currently doing).

Message 5 of 8

I'd go for this one:

@tomschmidt wrote:

Better yet, I would use a NAS with RAID1 or RAID5 for network disk storage (which is what I am currently doing).

The idea of using that many USB devices fills me with apprehension.

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

NAS is so nice. Ever since I got my several years ago, I have not looked back on USB drives. The ones I have are sitting collecting dust. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 8

My old USB drives "daisy chain" down as another backstop at the bottom of the food chain. Or as portable drives for media stuff, for example.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7