× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connect directly to satellites via web interface.

alokeprasad
Mentor

Connect directly to satellites via web interface.

I can see the satellites as connected in the web interface of the router:

Capture.JPG
However, the firmware update (in Administration) page of the router does not show the two satellites even after a long time.

Capture_1.JPG

I want to connect directly to the satellites through their web interface to update their firmware. 
Connecting to http://192.168.1.7/ fails. I cannot ping 195.168.1.7 either from a PC connected to RBR through ethernet cable.

Question: How do I connect to the web interface of my satellites? I want to do that to manually update their firmware from a file.

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
alokeprasad
Mentor

The problems with the satellite connection and access was solved by unplugging the ethernet cables from the back of the satellites. That made the wireless connection between the RBR and the 2 RBS's unstable.  The automatic updates through the web (or iOS app) did not detect the availability of the "new" firmware 8 moths after the release of the firmware.

That said, folks should bring the satellites one at a time into the same room as the RBR, reset the satellites and manually update the firmware using the downloaded .IMG files.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Try a different browser, MS Edge or Firefox? 

Be sure to clear out all browser caches as well. 

Message 2 of 12
alokeprasad
Mentor

Any preference in the order to power-on the RBK53 components?
Satellites first and then the router? or vice versa?

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Power ON the RBR first then RBS. 

Message 4 of 12
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @alokeprasad ,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you would access to your satellites admin GUI because you would like to manually update your satellites. The good news is you can manually update your satellites from your router admin page. All you would need to do is select the manual update tab and then select the satellite to be updated. After, you would then need to select the firmware file that you would like to load on the device. 

Please navigate to the link below for a walkthrough on how to manually update your RBS50:

How do I check and manually update the firmware on my Orbi satellite? - NETGEAR Support

Please navigate to the link below for the download file for your RBR50: 
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50#download

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 5 of 12
alokeprasad
Mentor

The problem is that while the satellites show (with their own IP addresses) up in the connected devices page (even if refreshed), the manual firmware update page shows them as “waiting for connection” forever. so, your suggested method doesn’t work. 

I cannot ping those satellites’ IP address and cannot connect directly to the web interface of the satellites through their IP address using the browser. 

I will power-cycle the router and the satellites after the workday. I need a functional PC (using Ethernet connection) till then. 

aloke 

Message 6 of 12
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @alokeprasad ,

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Please connect to the LAN port of your satellite, then ping the following IP address:

If successful please use that IP address in your address bar to get to your satellite admin GUI. 

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

After the power cycle, don't use the RBR to check the FW status. Just go directly to the RBS web page using the assigned IP address. 

Message 8 of 12
alokeprasad
Mentor

Update:
I brought the 2 satellites to the same room as the RBR50.

Powered on one satellite, reset it using the pin, reconnected it to the RBR, updated the satellite's firmware manually using the .img file.

Rebooted the satellite, it connects to RBR with a "Good" signal (magenta solid light). Moved the satellite to its usual loaction (call in "Up")

Repeat this for the second satellite, Moved it to its usual location (call it "Down").

Updated the firmware of the router manually using the .img file. On reboot, both satellites are connected to the router with "Good" backhaul. Here is the screenshot of that state:
Capture.JPG
I'll report here if this remains stable...
Thx. for your help!!

Aloke
PS: it is still odd that the firmware checks reported "No new firmware" 8 months after it came out..

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 10 of 12
alokeprasad
Mentor

The problems with the satellite connection and access was solved by unplugging the ethernet cables from the back of the satellites. That made the wireless connection between the RBR and the 2 RBS's unstable.  The automatic updates through the web (or iOS app) did not detect the availability of the "new" firmware 8 moths after the release of the firmware.

That said, folks should bring the satellites one at a time into the same room as the RBR, reset the satellites and manually update the firmware using the downloaded .IMG files.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Enjoy.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series