Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connect satellite from different Orbi network

LukeDouglas
Aspirant

Connect satellite from different Orbi network

I've had an NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band Whole Home Mesh WiFi System with 2.2Gbps speed (RBK23) system (router & 2 satellites) for 3 years and it works great. We moved into a substantially larger home but lost one of the satellites during the move so performance lagged in the extremities.  I purchased another exact same system (RBK23) router & 2 satellites.  However, I discovered you can't use a router as a satellite (bummer).  So I wanted to just keep the router as a backup replacement and use the two satellites to extend my current system.

However, I've been unable to sync the systems together.  When I checked, the original Orbi network was ORBI08 (which I had changed to a different network name) while the new Orbi network is ORBI10.

I tried using the ORBI app but to no avail as it doesn't recognize the networks.

Can someone walk me through how I can attached these two satellites to my existing Orbi network?

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Connect satellite from different Orbi network

Probably just need to ensure the RBS from newer system is updated to same version of FW thats one your current working system.

Message 2 of 5
LukeDouglas
Aspirant

Well, unless I can get it recognized by the network so I can access it with my Orbi app, I can't check it's version nor update it.

Again, this should be a simple process.  You click the SYNC button on the satellite and then the SYNC button on the base router and it SYNC'S, but it doesn't.  Purchasing a product with a different network should NOT interfere with the ability of the satellite to scan all networks for any SYNC in process and connect.

Message 3 of 5
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @LukeDouglas ,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are having issues connecting your Orbi satellites to your existing Orbi mesh system. SYNC issues can occur if the firmware on the satellite is an older version than the one that is on the router. Please update the satellite to the same firmware version that is on your Orbi router. 

For step-by-step instructions and a video walkthrough on how to manually update your RBS20 please navigate to the link below:

How do I check and manually update the firmware on my Orbi satellite? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 4 of 5
LukeDouglas
Aspirant

I'm returning the unit as one of the satellite simply wouldn't connect.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7