Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connected devices stuck on 2.4G? Is there no way to force 5G?

dtskip
Guide

Connected devices stuck on 2.4G? Is there no way to force 5G?

What gives? I thought devices with 5Gz support were supposed to automatically connect via 5Gz?

Two of those devices on 2.4G 100% support 5G and are right next to the Sattelite, and I've connected them to the 5G SSID on my separate modem-router plenty of times before, which is currently set to bridge mode.

Why can't the Orbi support two SSIDs? Is there no way to fix this without using the telnet thing I have no idea how to use?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Connected devices stuck on 2.4G? Is there no way to force 5G?

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using? Try WPA2 and AES only.

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Disney Circle: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/WARNING-Firmware-2-2-1-210-is-junk/m-p/1667485/highlight/true#...

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

Try turning down the power on the 2.4Ghz radio from 100% to 50% and see. Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

The Orbi broadcasts only one SSID because the product is designed to track the client and decide whether it will work better connected to 2.4G or 5G (and whether it will work better connected to the main router or the satellite).  People should not have to say, "oh, I'm in the den now, I should change to the "den SSID".  "Oops, now I moved to the patio, I should change to the patio SSID."  This change doesn't happen instantly.  In digging around the Orbi configuration files, I found timer settings which control how often the Orbi reevaluates connections.  (I don't understand them, but I did see them.)  People have reported in the forum that devices "change" after a while.  In my house, for example, a device may connect to the main router and then I go downstairs and closer to the satellite.  I think, "Hey, stupid Orbi, why are you not switching the device from the router to the satellite?"  My imagination is that the Orbi is saying, "this device is working just fine connected to the router, I'm not ready to force a change YET."  The same thing could happen between 2.4G and 5G.  Orbi could think, "nah. No reason to switch yet."

Or, I could be just totally wrong.

Perhaps you could do an experiment and leave the device alone for a while and see if it "moves".

Message 3 of 5
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

I had an issue with my main Samsung TV wanting to stay hooked up at 2.4GHz to the router clear acros the house rather than 5G to the satellite no more than 8 feet away. I rebooted the TV, and everything got friendly again between the TV and the satellite on 5GHz. In this case I blame the device (the TV). Also one had one of our phones pull the same stunt. Just power cycled that one. Perhpas not your issue, but most of the time the mobile devices switch correctly. 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if any of the suggestions help.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7