Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting Orbi router to a Nighthawk?

mirama44
Tutor

Connecting Orbi router to a Nighthawk?

Hello. I'm sure someone may have already asked this but I could use some help. I am trying to connect my orbi router with a cat7 ethernet out to an outside building. I have the cable ran from house outside but when i plug it into my nighthawk i dont get any internet signal. I wondered what port do i plug it into the nighthawk? Or, would it be easier/better to hook the cat7 cable i to another orbi device versus the nighthawk. I have spent some hours troubleshooting and testing to ensure the nighthawk is functional. The firmware is up to date. The nighthawk works find separately but when i hook it up to the cat7 coming from the orbi router, its a no go. Thanks for any/all assistance.
Message 1 of 31
ekhalil
Master

The cable should be connected to the WAN port in the Nighthawk.

Will Nighthawk's radio range interfere with Orbi's? If yes then you have to use a different SSID and r adio channel for the Nighthawk than the one in Orbi to avoid degradation in the Orbi.

Message 2 of 31
mirama44
Tutor

Thank you for your fast reply. I dont understand your statement. What do I need to know/do to figure that out? Inside my out building I cannot get the orbi signal from my house. the outbuilding is about 120 feet away and it is a metal building. This is why I chose to run the cat7 underground and hardwire devices in order to ensure i can get internet in the outbuilding.
Message 3 of 31
mirama44
Tutor

Would it easier if I went out and bought another orbi device to connect the orbi router with the cat7 cable?

The only other thing I'm questioning is that I had to put a new rj45 connector on the cat7. I wondered if cat7 cable accepts the same rj45 connector as a cat7. I wired it all up and used a tester to check. according to the tester everything is wired correctly and it is grounded.
Message 4 of 31
ekhalil
Master

@mirama44 wrote:
Thank you for your fast reply. I dont understand your statement. What do I need to know/do to figure that out? Inside my out building I cannot get the orbi signal from my house. the outbuilding is about 120 feet away and it is a metal building. This is why I chose to run the cat7 underground and hardwire devices in order to ensure i can get internet in the outbuilding.

120 feet is quite a long distance, so I don't think you need to worry about the radio interference from the Nighthawk.

If there is not continuity between the Orbi system and the distant house there is not much advantage if you get an Orbi Satellite instead of the Nighthawk. The only advantage would be that you will be able to manage the whole network from one place (your browser or the Orbi phone app).

Regardng the cabling the color coding of cat7 cable is the same as cat6. But I think there are special modular plugs (shielded) for the cat 7 cables that are slightly different than cat 6.

A common mistake (that I once did) is to not use the small canal piece (see picture below) that comes with the plug without which the wires will never be in place. 🙂

Namnlöst 3.png

Message 5 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

I think all you need to do is to ensure and verify the CAT lan cable from the main router out to the remote building is correctly wired and if so, then use the Orbi in AP mode in the remote building:

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@mirama44 wrote:
Hello. I'm sure someone may have already asked this but I could use some help. I am trying to connect my orbi router with a cat7 ethernet out to an outside building. I have the cable ran from house outside but when i plug it into my nighthawk i dont get any internet signal. I wondered what port do i plug it into the nighthawk? Or, would it be easier/better to hook the cat7 cable i to another orbi device versus the nighthawk. I have spent some hours troubleshooting and testing to ensure the nighthawk is functional. The firmware is up to date. The nighthawk works find separately but when i hook it up to the cat7 coming from the orbi router, its a no go. Thanks for any/all assistance.

Message 6 of 31
mirama44
Tutor

Thank you again. I will try some more things tomorrow.
Message 7 of 31
mirama44
Tutor

Thank you! Today got by me so fast and I will try some more troubleshooting after work tomorrow. I am going to go ahead and order some cat7 connectors. It appears in the online diagrams that the wiring is same as cat6. When I tested the line with the tool I had, it said everything was wored correctly. That is why I was worried that maybe I need specific cat7 connector... Do you recommend any specific cat7 connector? I saw a 10 pack on amazon, and I emailed the company who I bought the cat7 from (haven't heard back). Thank you for the video. I haven't gotten to watch it yet, but I am eager to watch the video and hopefully find a resolution tomorrow. I will send an update. Thank you both for your help. ***fingers crossed***
Message 8 of 31
mirama44
Tutor

Real quick I was able to put the router into AP mode but then I couldn't connect to internet at all? I ended up resetting the orbi back to factory just so I could have internet. Just got done setting everything back up. Not sure what I should have done after changing it into AP mode?
Message 9 of 31
ekhalil
Master

@mirama44 wrote:
Real quick I was able to put the router into AP mode but then I couldn't connect to internet at all? I ended up resetting the orbi back to factory just so I could have internet. Just got done setting everything back up. Not sure what I should have done after changing it into AP mode?

No, you don’t need to use AP Mode in the main router. It has to be in Router mode. 

Please get the Ethernet cable working and connect it to the WAN port of Nighthawk and hopefully everything will be working after that. 

Message 10 of 31
ekhalil
Master

@mirama44 wrote:
......... When I tested the line with the tool I had, it said everything was wored correctly. That is why I was worried that maybe I need specific cat7 connector... Do you recommend any specific cat7 connector? I saw a 10 pack on amazon, and I emailed the company who I bought the cat7 from (haven't heard back). ............

If the cable works fine with the current connectors then you should be fine. The shielded cat7 connectors just improve the capabilities (range and frequency) of the cable. Please test that you have good signal on the remote side of the cable by a tool or by connecting a laptop and seeing the LED's on the LAN port of the laptop are on when the cable is connected to Orbi LAN port on the other side.

Message 11 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

After puting the Orbi in AP mode, did you reboot the NH router as well? You should have had internet after configiguring AP mode. 

Be sure that your using the WAN port on the Orbi router for AP mode. You can try one of the LAN ports as well as a troubleshooting measure. AP mode works for others using other routers with the Orbi system. 

Besure the LAN cables are good. Verify this with a PC and using them directly connected to the main host router. 

@mirama44 wrote:

Message 12 of 31
ekhalil
Master

@mirama44 How are things going for you? Hopefully all is well now? 🙂

Message 13 of 31
mirama44
Tutor

Still no luck. I double checked wires again today and tester says all is good. Going to keep trying ......

The other person suggested go into AP mode. Then reboot the NH router. My concern was that when I put orbi into AP mode, then I couldn't connect to internet at all in my house....
Message 14 of 31
mirama44
Tutor

Helli,Hello, me again. I reread your post and you said to use WAN port on orbi router for AP mode. I'm not sure what that means. I have my internet provider cable coming into my orbi router into the yellow "internet" connection. I have my cat 7 in one of the Orbi's other connections running outside, underground in conduit about 150 feet to my outbuilding where my nighthawk router is located. I plugged the cat7 into the WAN port of my nighthawk router. I cant get internet. I plugged my laptop into the cat7 connector in the outbuilding and cant get internet. The other night you suggested to put orbi into AP mode. I put the orbi into AP mode but then I couldn't get internet anywhere in my house. I had to reset the whole orbi system and reset it up. I did retest my cat7 cable today and tester still reads that everything is good.

I was wondering was I supposed to put the nighthawk into AP, not the orbi?

Thanks for help!
Message 15 of 31

Going back to your first message, it is not clear to me what the order of these things is.

I am trying to connect my orbi router with a cat7 ethernet out to an outside building. I have the cable ran from house outside but when i plug it into my nighthawk i dont get any internet signal.

Is it the Nighthawk that is at the far end of the long LAN cable? Or is it the Orbi?

@mirama44 wrote:

The standard setup, and the one I have,  is:

modem (in bridge or modem only mode) > router (in router mode) > Orbi (in access point mode)

Alternatively:

modem (in bridge or modem only mode) > Orbi (in router mode) > router (in access point mode)

The "modem mode" bit matters only if you have a modem that doubles as a router. (Look for a set of LAN ports on the back).

You plug the modem into the Internet port on the router. Then connect the Internet port on the AP (Orbi or NIghthawk) into a LAN port on the router.

When setting this up, you need to start things in the right order:

modem > router > access point

leaving time for each device to settle down before turning on the next bit.

It shouldn't matter, but I can't see any mention of the model number of your Nighthawk router.

I would check that everything works with router and AP close to each other before adding the complication of a long ethernet cable.

Message 16 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Review these for configuring AP mode on the Orbi system:

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

@mirama44 wrote:
Helli,Hello, me again. I reread your post and you said to use WAN port on orbi router for AP mode. I'm not sure what that means. I have my internet provider cable coming into my orbi router into the yellow "internet" connection. I have my cat 7 in one of the Orbi's other connections running outside, underground in conduit about 150 feet to my outbuilding where my nighthawk router is located. I plugged the cat7 into the WAN port of my nighthawk router. I cant get internet. I plugged my laptop into the cat7 connector in the outbuilding and cant get internet. The other night you suggested to put orbi into AP mode. I put the orbi into AP mode but then I couldn't get internet anywhere in my house. I had to reset the whole orbi system and reset it up. I did retest my cat7 cable today and tester still reads that everything is good.

Thanks for help!

Message 17 of 31
ekhalil
Master

ORBI IN THIS CASE CAN’T BE IN AP MODE.
PLEASE READ!
Message 18 of 31

@ekhalil wrote:
PLEASE READ!

Please explain!

Message 19 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Really. 

@michaelkenward wrote:

@ekhalil wrote:
PLEASE READ!

Please explain!

Message 20 of 31
ekhalil
Master

Please read the posts above.
Orbi is the only router. The Nighthawk is to be connected (wired) as an AP to Orbi to extend the range in a remote building.
He has a problem in the cable that needs to be fixed. I think that’s the only issue now.
Message 21 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

If the Orbi is acting as the main host router, then they can configure the NG router for AP mode and connect it to the Orbi router at the remote location. The NH router needs to be connected via its LAN port to the Orbi's LAN port, not the WAN port when in AP mode. This will work. 

IF the NH router is the main host router, then the Orbi can be used in AP mode at the remote location or a satellite or a Orbi router in AP mode can be used at the remote location. 

Message 22 of 31

Yup. That's how I see it.

Choose one to be the router, set the other in AP mode.

As I said earlier, it is not clear to me which box is destined for which role.

If the idea is to have good wifi in the house, then using the Orbi as the router make sense. Then the Nighthawk goes in the "shed".

From what we read here, most people with an Orbi/Nighthawk combination tend to use the Nighthawk as the router, probably because it offers more control but the wifi isn't so good.

Message 23 of 31
ekhalil
Master

@mirama44 wrote:
Still no luck. I double checked wires again today and tester says all is good. Going to keep trying ......

The other person suggested go into AP mode. Then reboot the NH router. My concern was that when I put orbi into AP mode, then I couldn't connect to internet at all in my house....

@mirama44 To see if the cable is the issue, please get the Nighthawk near Orbi and -as was suggested by @michaelkenward- connect them with a short LAN cable and see if the Nighthawk (or a laptop connected to Orbi) will work, if it does then you know it's the long cable which is bad and you need to keep troubleshooting the cable.

Message 24 of 31

@ekhalil wrote:
Please read the posts above.

I did. Several times. Carefully.

@ekhalil wrote:

Orbi is the only router. The Nighthawk is to be connected (wired) as an AP to Orbi to extend the range in a remote building.

That is your assumption. It is not clear to me from the message I quoted.

I prefer to ask for clarification than to jump to conclusions.

I offered suggestions based on either scenario. Seems that I was in line with @FURRYe38's thoughts.

It is up to @mirama44 to decide what to do.

Not sure about the port connections though. The manuals for using Nighthawk routers in AP mode specifically say:

"Use an Ethernet cable to connect the Internet port of this router to a LAN port in the other router."

But we don't know what the model number is of this "Nighthawk".

As to the cable issue. That's why I suggested a "local test" to confirm that the configuration will work. Get it right with both boxes sitting in the same room, then move the other one to the end of the long cable.

Message 25 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7