Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Considering an Orbi however....

PeteRepeat
Aspirant

Considering an Orbi however....

I have been going round and round in circles.

I am currently using a tp link wr900 and it has been OK up until recently as my devices climbed over 30 for wifi and 7 lan. About 20 devices are on the 2.4g because i have many esp8266 devices. I am finding that on occasions the 2.4GHz disappears and a reboot is required.

So I have been looking at routers with support of high device counts. Initially looked at the Asus RT-AC68U due ot the channel counts then moved to some tri band routers. I was hoping to have a modem/router so looked at the D7800 but pour support recently has great concerns for me.

SO then considered using an Orbi and connecting it to my tp link vr900 for the vdsl2 connection (disabling the wifi most likely). However I have some concerns on getting great stablity for the 20 or so esp8266 devices on the 2.4GHz wifi. Some topics here never seem to be clsoed out.

Anyone offer experience in high counts of 2.4GHz devices and stablity. Speed is not a concern for me. I would consider a normal router or prefeerably a modem/router. Also happy with these as an option if they will provide great stability.

Message 1 of 8
PeteRepeat
Aspirant

Re: Considering an Orbi however....

In summary. I need stability and not necessarily speed. I have about 20x 2.4GHz devices (mainly esp8266), 10x 5GHz devices and 7 lan (I have a switch if I need to xpand the lan ports).

Most of these will have their ip reserved.
Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Users report more than 100 devices on Orbi. The significance of being this particular chip set may not be something any of us can comment on. 

Message 3 of 8
PeteRepeat
Aspirant

I'm assuming that the rbk30 pack would be just as stable as the rbk50? Other than a little speed drop.

Most devices are only doing http posts every minute with perhaps two devices (chromecast, android box etc) streaming 1080p. I don't do file transfers so not sure if I'd see any benefit from the ac3000 over the 2200 unless there is a stability difference?

Edit: My house is only about 200 sqaure metres (less than the 2000 sqaure feet) so the rbk30 seems ok for coverage at least.
Message 4 of 8
Tjharris6
Guide

I figure I should write because I left an asus rt 56u that I dearly loved for the orbi. It’s been a rough start for the orbi as I almost bricked it trying to get my weather station back on board. The camera system from lorex seems to be working well on the orbi, but be sure to update the firmware before you put any clients on it that wait for the Ethernet satellite is a long pause. I have noticed even though I am in the same room as my router the iPad loses signal and wants to jump to cellular. No idea why.

Message 5 of 8
PeteRepeat
Aspirant

Hmm so I still have concerns but I guess if it doesn't work as expected I'll take it back. Thinking of the ac2200 version as I don't need the speed. I can't see anywhere that says the 4x4 of the ac3000 offers higher device counts, just higher speeds of transfer. Unless someone suggests otherwise
Message 6 of 8

You talk about "high counts" and then mention 20.

That doesn't really, er, count as a high count.

Message 7 of 8
PeteRepeat
Aspirant

Well seeing the last two routers I've had struggled with this many devices then it sort of is when it comes to domestic routers. Many routers struggle with this number but most houses don't require it.. The 20 on the 2.4GHz was a problem for my vr900 which was fine for 2 years until I've started adding many esp8266 to the home and the router before (was the premium modem/router my internet provider supplied) dropped the 5GHz once the counts got above 16 so I returned it.

I ended up buying the twin pack of the ac2200 as they were on special and so far it's all good with 40 devices.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7