Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Custom DNS with ISP DHCP

bashfulrobot
Tutor

Custom DNS with ISP DHCP

Hi there,

I would like to use a custom DNS server (not my ISP's DNS), but they need DHCP for me to connect. It seems like i cannot change this setting on the orbi  unless I use a static with my ISP.

Suggestions?

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

On the web interface, Advanced Tab->Internet Setup the choices for DHCP and DNS servers are separate

Message 2 of 21

Yes, but on the RBS50Y?

That's a satellite.

Try tweaking the unnamed router.

Message 3 of 21
bashfulrobot
Tutor

It is actually the RBR50. Sorry. But it stil will not let me change it.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is your RBR50 running in? Router mode should allow you to change DNS to any custom DNS. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Using DHCP or PPPoE for your ISP services? 

@bashfulrobot wrote:

It is actually the RBR50. Sorry. But it stil will not let me change it.

Message 5 of 21
bashfulrobot
Tutor

It is in the router mode (not the AP mode). TEH only way I cn change the DNS is to move my internet connection to a "static" ip vs the DHCP my ISP requires.... it is so odd.

Message 6 of 21

You never did answer the question from @FURRYe38 as to the modem in front of this thing. It could be important.

Message 7 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@bashfulrobot wrote:

It is in the router mode (not the AP mode). TEH only way I cn change the DNS is to move my internet connection to a "static" ip vs the DHCP my ISP requires.... it is so odd.

I find this very confusing.  Attached is a screen shoot of my Advanced Tab->Setup->Internet Setup screen.  Notice that the top panel specifies whether Orbi gets an IP address from the ISP or if I set it manually.   The middle panel specifies whether the Orbi gets DNS server addresses from the ISP or they are set manually.  (The bottom panel allows the user to give the Orbi a fake MAC address, for example to make it appear to be the previous router.)  Your screen is not like this?

Message 8 of 21
bashfulrobot
Tutor

I am including a small screen recording showing how I cannot select or change the DNS servers unless I choose a "static IP" option. It simply will not let me choose the other options. This is in Firefox, but I have tried Chrome, Chromium, etc.

Message 9 of 21
bashfulrobot
Tutor

Also - as for your screenshot - I do see exactly what you posted - but I simply cannot select the custom DNS unless moving my connection to "static".

Message 10 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you disconnect the WAN port from the ISP modem and try to configure the DNS? 

Might try a factory reset on the RBR, setup from scratch, this time, skip the setup wizard and setup the RBR manually while the RBR is not connected to the ISP modem. Go in and see if you can set manual DNS first.

Message 11 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the screen shot.  So strange.  The DNS option is not greyed out or anything, but refused to accept a click on the other button.

Never seen this before.

Just a silly question:  How did you get the selected option to display as a check mark rather than a filled in circle?  All of my browsers on Windows and Linux show the circle.  I don't see an option in Firefox (on Windows).

Message 12 of 21
bashfulrobot
Tutor

I might go that way, but that seems to be the answer for every issue I post on here. I have reloaded and reconfigured this damn thing so many times. When this thing works, it is awesome, but it is flakey as heck. Settings changing on their own, (ie block new clients by default, vs not), Stuff like this. Circle periodically disabling and so on. Not overly confident in this thing.

Message 13 of 21
bashfulrobot
Tutor

I am on Linux and is likely comig from my system theme. Stuff like that can be applied. Side note - I did try this in a Windows VM as well (in case it was Linux related). But I get the same behavior.

Message 14 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you try with a real Windows PC and see? 

Message 15 of 21
bashfulrobot
Tutor

Unfortunately not - I do not have one.

But a VM should not be any different. It is just emulated hardware - and something like a browser will likely not know the difference.

Message 16 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Might see if you can barrow a laptop if you have a friend or neighbor with one. Even a Mac. 

Try another Orbi system to see if the problem still happens on a different system. 

Message 17 of 21
bashfulrobot
Tutor

My Wife had her work computer home — the same issue in multiple browsers.

I guess I am stuck at restoring. This unit is becoming so insanely frustrating. It feels like I need to flash this thing every damn time there is a problem (which is often).

Message 18 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Should have too. I would factory reset the RBR, manually load FW. Factory reset and setup from scratch. I would use either Windows or Mac native if possibe. Setup the custome DNS after you get thru the setup wizard. Once you get that configured, save off a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. 

Message 19 of 21
bashfulrobot
Tutor

thank you for the feedback. I'll give that a go. But this thing is about one step away from hitting the trash can. I'm absolutely sick of having to reload this thing all the time.
Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out. I agree, shouldn't have to keep re-loading or resetting it. When you get it all set again fully, do a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. 

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7