Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DDNS & Port Forwarding from within network doesn't work

jaron-lowe
Aspirant

DDNS & Port Forwarding from within network doesn't work

So I have port forwarding of port 80 setup on my router to forward to a computer on my network. I've also setup DDNS to easily hit this webserver from outside of my network. I'm trying to host a basic web server as an experiment and ran into a bizarre issue.

When accessing the DDNS url or my public IP directly from within my Wi-Fi network, the page just spins and loads before timing out after a long while. If I get off my home network and hotspot my computer using my mobile hotspot I can connect to the DDNS url and public IP immediately.

Is there some setting that I'm missing in the NETGEAR admin that should allow this port to be accessed from within the network itself?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
jaron-lowe
Aspirant

Re: DDNS & Port Forwarding from within network doesn't work

So I've gotten my issue resolved. It seems I was running a previous firmware (3.2.16.6). I've updated to 3.2.16.22 (released mid-November). Now I can access my server from within the network by public IP, DDNS url, and private IP.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

The web page loads fine when addressed with the LAN IP address, correct?

It's just a guess, but the DDNS is resolving to the publici IP of the Orbi and it probably does not respond to connection attempts from inside the network.

Message 2 of 11
jaron-lowe
Aspirant

Do you mean by the private IP? My server is at 192.168.1.11:80 and I am unable to get that to load in a web browser. It just seems to timeout after about a minute.

Message 3 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@jaron-lowe wrote:

Do you mean by the private IP? My server is at 192.168.1.11:80 and I am unable to get that to load in a web browser. It just seems to timeout after about a minute.

Oh, my.  A computer with IP 192.168.1.x cannot access a web server at 192.168.1.11:80?

Yet, it CAN be reached from the internet?

Message 4 of 11
jaron-lowe
Aspirant

Yeah that's my whole issue. It's very bizarre and only forwards the traffic when on an external network. From within my network, It just spins and spins away. Seems to be only an issue with port 80 too. I've got port forwarding setup for RDP & Plex and both are having no issues internally or externally.

Message 5 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Is this web server on a Windows machine?  Windows Firewall has separate rules for "public" and "local" networks.

Message 6 of 11
jaron-lowe
Aspirant

It is a Windows machine, yes. I've got the network set to private with network discovery turned on. Any setting you would recommend me setting?

Message 7 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@jaron-lowe wrote:

It is a Windows machine, yes. I've got the network set to private with network discovery turned on. Any setting you would recommend me setting?

Yes. On the Windows Firewall settings, "Allow an App or Feature through Windows Firewall", identify the web server software and check both boxes.

Message 8 of 11
jaron-lowe
Aspirant

Looks like both public and private are already on under those settings. 

Message 9 of 11
jaron-lowe
Aspirant

So I've gotten my issue resolved. It seems I was running a previous firmware (3.2.16.6). I've updated to 3.2.16.22 (released mid-November). Now I can access my server from within the network by public IP, DDNS url, and private IP.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like loopback was fixed on v22...

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7