Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DNS for home network devices

APMH64
Tutor

DNS for home network devices

Hi, I am using an ORBI RBK53 as my router and would like to stop having to address devices on my local network using IP addresses. I would appreciatte it if someone could let me know if there is a way to have the ORBI router apply names to devices on the local network (e.g. PorchWebCam rather 10.0.0.x). If not I also have a Qnap TS-459 Pro+ NAS on which I could install a local DNS server but I am unsure how this might interfer with other services that the ORBI might be running.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: DNS for home network devices

@APMH64 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, you have a good point though on single point of failure. I wonder does anyone know if it is possible to have a DNS server for local devices and another for internet resources?

I don't see how that could be possible. Client devices (PC's, phones, tablets, even smart plugs) have one or more entries for "DNS Server". The plan is if the first DNS server does not respond, then the device will try the next server.  There's no distinction of where the DNS name being resolved is located.

What can be done on some clients is put entries in their hosts file, but not all devices have one.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

As you have figured out, Orbi's DNS capabilities do not include resolving local devices.

I use Pi-Hole on a Raspberry Pi, and it supports local DNS resolution.

The Orbi can point at "anything" for DNS, including devices on the local LAN (such as my Pi).  The only worry I see is a single point of failure.  If the local DNS server is unavailable, then internet access essentially stops.

Message 2 of 5
APMH64
Tutor

Thanks for the reply, you have a good point though on single point of failure. I wonder does anyone know if it is possible to have a DNS server for local devices and another for internet resources?

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@APMH64 wrote:

I don't see how that could be possible. Client devices (PC's, phones, tablets, even smart plugs) have one or more entries for "DNS Server". The plan is if the first DNS server does not respond, then the device will try the next server.  There's no distinction of where the DNS name being resolved is located.

What can be done on some clients is put entries in their hosts file, but not all devices have one.

Message 4 of 5
APMH64
Tutor

Ok, thanks for the help CrimpOn.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements