Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Desktop Computer connection

CaraBethP
Tutor

Desktop Computer connection

I don't see my desktop computer listed as a connected device in the admin section of the orbi admin either in my app or online logged into orbilogin. Can I assume that I AM logged into the orbi on my desktop since I am seeing the orbi and satellite from my desktop?

Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@CaraBethP wrote:

Can I assume that I AM logged into the orbi on my desktop since I am seeing the orbi and satellite from my desktop?

Probably more fun to assume that this desktop computer is magic

How is the computer connected? (Ethernet cable or WiFi?)

It would be useful to determine the IP address of the computer and the MAC address of the network adapter and then scan the list of Attached Devices for something that matches. (There are many ways to learn this information [internet search]. I usually open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all.

Message 2 of 8
CaraBethP
Tutor

First- I have an RBR50 and a satellite. Our ISP is Spectrum. We have multiple ROKU, 2 iphones and 2 ipads. They all run at 200 mbps on our network. I can see all those devices in the Orbi app and via the Netgear login on my desktop.  My desktop runs at around 40 mbps using wireless. I use my desktop for design work, managing a website for a charitable group.  So, I don't use it all the time.

The slow speed on my desktop is a problem that I have tried to fix for 2 years. I search this forum for answers and try out things that I find in forum posts. Last year I even paid for support via Netgear. Nothing changed. They were no help. I have found no one who can help me figure out what my problem is. I am not a complete idiot, but this side of technology is not in my area of expertise.

I became determined to fix this problem because I need to do more to help the volunteer organization. I will need to use my desktop frequently and it often gets so slow I can't do anything. 

I first contacted Dell who tested my wireless card, my ethernet and the motherboard. Although they found nothing wrong, they replaced everything because I had premium support. Nothing improved.

I worked with a Spectrum agent who replaced my modem. He helped me setup a switch, telling me that I could get a faster speed going wired. When I connected a Cat 5 to the switch it works on my husband's computer (but not fast), but my computer didn't even "see" the ethernet card. 

So, I took it to a computer repair shop. They tested everything and said my computer connects at high speed via wreless and wired at their shop. 

Today I moved my computer right in front of the Orbi. The wireless speed did not improve. BUT, when I took the CAT5 that was feeding Orbi its internet and hooked it to my computer my computer actually saw the ethernet connection and ran HUGE- 200 mbps. Using the feed that was going into the Orbi is the only high speed I can get on my desktop.  I ran an ethernet cord from one of the output ports on the back of the orbi. My computer doesn't see that signal.

So, I don't even know what questions to ask now.  I assume(?) that my computer receives its signal from the Orbi whether it is is wired or wireless. When I login to the Orbi router I see our Roku, ipads, iphones and printer.  I do not see my computer. Probably a stupid question, but could my computer be receiving its signal from Spectrum and not the Orbi? How would I know?

I have problem solved as much as I know how to do. Can you tell me anything else I can check? 

Message 3 of 8
CaraBethP
Tutor

Attached the IpConfig

Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for providing the ipconfig output. It clearly shows the computer connected via WiFi.

This report is saying that the Ethernet port does not detect a cable connection.  It is also a rather unusual description of an Ethernet adapter (anchorfree tap-windows adapter v9), which is related to a VPN service (specifically a 'tap' VPN).  My HP computer, for example, describes the Ethernet port as:

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : peakview.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 20-25-64-0F-BA-CD
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Does this desktop have VPN software?

Sorry not to be more help (so far)

Message 5 of 8
CaraBethP
Tutor

I appreciate your input. Thanks!

I do have Dashlane password manager and downloaded their VPN a couple months ago which I only use occasionally. It has been disabled through all this "trying to find the answer" problem solving. I installed it because I worry about my access to the charitable organization's website. If uninstalling made things better I would but I had this problem before I installed the VPN. 

Today I have a second face to face with Spectrum support.  Could be the Spectrum setup has caused all of this. The Spectrum modem is right here by my desk.  The setup is a black screw in cable going into it from the wall and an ethernet cable (plugged into a port that says 2.4) feeding out of it into the wall.  

Last week the Spectrum guy suggested I install a switch so I could run my desktop with an ethernet cable. So, I set one up. I ran the coax coming from the wall into the "in" port of the switch. I ran a coax out of the switch back into the modem.

These are all the “tests” I have run:

1. Ethernet from switch to my computer- the computer doesn’t even identify that there is an ethernet port working.
  2. I also tested the same coax to my husband’s computer and he was able to switch from wireless to the ethernet connection. The signal only ran at 45mbps but he has a really old Mac. I can see his computer on the network via the Orbi app.
  3. Our Orbi is setup in the living room under the tv set. It is fed by a coax that comes into it. I took my computer into the living room and hooked the coax that was feeding into it into my computer. The network card woke up and I had huge fast speed from the coax. That has been the only way I can get the network card to work.

Attached is a pic of 1. what it looked like when I plugged in from the switch and 2. what it looked like when I plugged in from the ethernet that was used to "feed" the Orbi. 

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

There may be a terminology issue.

Spectrum typically provides television, telephone, and internet service through a single coax cable, which ends in a screw on connector (which looks nothing like a typical telephone cord or Ethernet cable). It is common for the coax cable to be 'split' so that it can appear in multiple locations within the house.

When the customer subscribes to internet service (and possibly phone service), a cable modem is connected to one of the coax cables in the house and an Ethernet cable connects the modem to the customer's equipment.

I am not aware of any computer equipment that will accept a coax (screw in) connection. No switches. No computers. (There are a couple of Orbi models which are combination modem/router models, but they are not common.)

Exactly which Orbi model do you have?  (from the product label on the bottom of the case)

Message 7 of 8
CaraBethP
Tutor

Yes, a terminology problem- The spectrum modem is connected via a coax. It feeds out via an ethernet cable through the wall (or floor) to the ethernet cable that connects the Orbi in the living room. 

It is an RBR50. There is a satellite upstairs. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7