Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices connecting with 1 of 2 satellites, instead of both.

annokie
Follower

Devices connecting with 1 of 2 satellites, instead of both.

Ever since I downloaded latest update V2.3.5.30, my upstairs satellite has not been connecting to devices.  Network map shows connections on both satellites.  Both satellites had poor backhaul status, but after restarting the upstairs satellite it now shows good backhaul status and still no device connections.  Downstair satellite has poor backhaul status but 28 devices connected.  Internet connetion does not work upstairs but is good downstairs.  I don't know what how updating changed a goodworking setup for me.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Devices connecting with 1 of 2 satellites, instead of both.

It certainly is vexing trying to get modern stuff to work "the way it should."  One issue with Orbi networking is that each device decides which access point it will connect with, and when it will move (if ever).  Just as an example, if one of the satellites is turned off, the devices which were connected to it will lose their connection and will seek another.  Once there, experience seems to demonstrate that devices often will not change connections even if the new connection is "better."

One solution that seems to have had some success is to get the satellites stabilized and then cycle the power on individual devices.  When they power up and look for the Orbi WiFi name, the hope is they will connect to the "best one."  Alas, even that seems to fail some times.  The supposition is that the device has "remembered" the MAC address of the Orbi it was connected in addition to the WiFi name.

I am always surprised when I look at an Orbi status and see words like "Waiting" in regard to the internet connection.  "You mean the dumb thing doesn't know it's connected???"  (Turns out that yelling at the Orbi is not productive, but at least I let off some steam.)

Message 2 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@annokie wrote:

Ever since I downloaded latest update V2.3.5.30, my upstairs satellite has not been connecting to devices.  Network map shows connections on both satellites.  Both satellites had poor backhaul status, but after restarting the upstairs satellite it now shows good backhaul status and still no device connections.  Downstair satellite has poor backhaul status but 28 devices connected.  Internet connetion does not work upstairs but is good downstairs.  I don't know what how updating changed a goodworking setup for me.

2.3.5.30 has known problems.  Why did you upgrade?

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

v30 is working for me and others. May need a factory reset and setup from scratch.

@annokie wrote:

Message 4 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You can manually download the last working FW version for the RBR and revert back. Use a wired PC and web browser for this process. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7