Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices mysteriously blocked in Access Control list

Devices mysteriously blocked in Access Control list

Immediately following a recent reset of my cable modem, several devices on my network could no longer access the internet. (Documented in this discussion from a week and a half ago.)

After tons of troubleshooting and tearing out my hair, I discovered that about a half dozen devices had been mysteriously marked as Blocked in my Orbi RBR50's Access Control list. I definitely did not mark them as Blocked and in fact they were all working perfectly before the modem was reset.

Luckily, unblocking them is easy enough and they're all working now as expected.

I'm just very confused about how this could have happened. Is this something that the router might do under certain circumstances? Is it perhaps a kind of corruption of the router's database? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Devices mysteriously blocked in Access Control list

I've never seen it happen randomly but I have seen a family member do it to mine. Not knowing what they're doing while using an app or one of my turd monkey playing with my phone cause it. 

Message 2 of 6
WeemsW
Aspirant

Configuration error: It is possible that there was an error in configuring the access control list, which caused devices to be blocked unintentionally. Double-checking the configuration could help resolve this issue.Malware or hacking: It is possible that the devices were blocked due to malware or hacking attempts. Malicious software or hackers could attempt to access a device, triggering the access control list to block the device. Running an antivirus scan on the network and the affected devices could help identify and remove any malware.

Message 3 of 6
WeemsW
Aspirant

nternet service provider (ISP).RBKE963B: This is likely your router, which handles traffic between your local network and the internet. It may also provide other features such as VPN, parental controls, and QoS.Trendnet TEG-S380: This is likely an unmanaged network switch, which allows you to connect multiple devices to your network using Ethernet cables.GS716T: This is likely a managed network switch, which provides more advanced features than an unmanaged switch, such as VLANs, QoS, and traffic shaping.pi-hole: This is a network-wide ad blocker and DNS sinkhole, which can help improve network performance and security by blocking unwanted traffic and ads.

Message 4 of 6
elmnoise
Aspirant

FWIW - exact same problem for me yesterday. I updated to the 2.5.x firmware and the problem stopped. I'm very concerned about how, randomly, a bunch of devices got blocked without me having logged into the admin panel in months.

Message 5 of 6
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @mrsubtraction ,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are having issues with access control on your Orbi Mesh System. This issue could be a result of not using the most current FW for your RBR50 system. Please ensure that you are on the updated to FW v2.7.5.4. Please navigate to the links below for the correct FW files as well as instructions on how to manually update your Orbi Mesh System.

Please navigate to the link below for the download file for your RBR50: 
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50#download

For more information on manually updating your RBK50 please navigate to the link below:
https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

Best,
Kevin
Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7