Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices not connecting in mesh network??? Orbi RBK50

Ltripreno
Aspirant

Devices not connecting in mesh network??? Orbi RBK50

I have the RBR50V2 mesh router and 1 satelite that came in the RBK50 kit.

I have read a couple of threads about this topic.  I don't have a managed switch and I don't understand back haul.  I think I have a simple set up.

Most of my devices connected quickly and properly.  No issues.

However, there are a couple of situations where I wonder if I need to make a configuration change or something.

#1  My tablet is a Samsung Tab A and the Orbi app shows it on the 5ghz network.  I have a Yamaha AV receiver that shows up in the Orbi app as being on the 2.4ghz network.  The tablet has an app to control the AV receiver.  The app cannot "see"/find the receiver.  I set the Ip address of the AV receiver and put it "hard coded" in the app, but the app still does not find it.  Is this a router/security issue?  I suspect yes.  It worked fine on the old, dead router.  Not since the new router.  Yamaha support has stopped responding to me.

#2   My PC is hardwired into the router.  I use an app, Akrutosync, to sync my Outlook calendar and contacts to my Samsung S7 phone.  That has also stopped working.  I am talking to Akruto support, so maybe they will help.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Re: Devices not connecting in mesh network??? Orbi RBK50

That means that the AV receiver was using a Static IP rather than Dynamic IP from DHCP.  And since the static IP was for a different subnet than the 192.168.1 subnet of your Orbi, it was not seen on the network.  Glad you got it figured out now.  Since you set the static IP to 192.168.1.90, I suggest adding that to the DHCP Address Reservations under the Advanced -> Setup -> LAN Setup page of the web interface to the Orbi.  That way nothing else will get assigned a conflicting IP by DHCP if your receiver is off the network.

@Ltripreno wrote:

SOLVED!!!!

Thank you, everyone for your ideas!

I was thinking more about the IP address.

The reciever IP address was 192.168.182.1.  It was configurable, so I changed the .1 to a .5

The app has the ability to put in specific IP addresses for which the app would search.  I put in the .5 address.  No go.

Everything else is 192.168.1.xxx.   A 1 where the receiver had 182.

I went to the receiver and put in 192.168.1.90, then put that in the app.  Voila!!  It worked.

Don;t ask why or how...I have no idea.  But it worked.

Thank you all again!!  I love forums like these!

Cheers,

View solution in original post

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 22 of 23

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

Try this, disable the 5G SSID broadcast on the RBR, Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings, save and apply the setting. Forget the current wifi profile on the pad. "forget this network". Then disable the wifi radio on the pad for about 10 seconds then turn it on. Have the pad reconnect to the SSID it sees. This will have the pad re-connect to the SSID however it will only be connected at the 2.4Ghz frequency. Try this Yamaha app again on the pad. Does it connect then? 

2.4Ghz, 5Ghz and the ethernet ports are all on the same side of the network, thus any device connected to these will see each other. Nothing on the RBR would prevent this unless you have some security setup, like Armor or Circle mabye. 

Message 2 of 23
Ltripreno
Aspirant

Furry, thanks

I am on the latest firmware...  V2.3.5.30   According to Netgear.

I did as you suggested.  I disabled the 5ghz by unchecking the enable 5g.

I did as you asked on the tablet.

When logged into the router, it shows attached devices as attached to 2.4 and 5g.

I rebooted the router.  I checked and the 5g is still unchecked...not broadcasting.  

The attached devices still shows 2.4 and 5g devices.  

I reconnected the tablet to the wifi.  In the attached devices, it shows the tablet connecting via 5g.

And, no, it does not yet connect to the AV receiver.

Apparently I did not disable 5g properly.

What to try next?

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 23
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

@Ltripreno, here is another method that may help you get your tablet forced to the 2.4GHz frequency to setup the AV app.

1. Login to the web interface of your router
  2. Click Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings
  3. Lower down the transmit power control of the 5 GHz to 25%
  4. Click Apply to save the settings
  5. Move away from any Orbi device Router/Satellite or you may consider powering off the satellite if your tablet is still able to detect the WiFi from the Orbi while the satellite is off.
  6. If you've confirmed that your tablet is connected to 2.4 GHz band, try connecting the AV device to the Orbi network
  7. If it works, put back the 5 GHz transmit power control to 100%
Message 4 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you "forget this network" on the pad before turning OFF it's wifi radio? This should be done or the pad will remember the 5Ghz SSID info, even though the SSID isn't being broadcast. The 5Ghz signal is still being broadcast, just not the 5Ghz SSID. Forgetting the network should fix that. 

Also try lowering the power radio on the 5Ghz as well as suggested. 

@Ltripreno wrote:

Furry, thanks

I am on the latest firmware...  V2.3.5.30   According to Netgear.

I did as you suggested.  I disabled the 5ghz by unchecking the enable 5g.

I did as you asked on the tablet.

When logged into the router, it shows attached devices as attached to 2.4 and 5g.

I rebooted the router.  I checked and the 5g is still unchecked...not broadcasting.  

The attached devices still shows 2.4 and 5g devices.  

I reconnected the tablet to the wifi.  In the attached devices, it shows the tablet connecting via 5g.

And, no, it does not yet connect to the AV receiver.

Apparently I did not disable 5g properly.

What to try next?

Thanks again.

Message 5 of 23
Ltripreno
Aspirant

Tried these suggestions.

I turned down the power of the 5g to 25%.  I unplugged the satelite and moved to where the tablet was on the 2.4 band.

No luck.  Same results.  The app does not see the receiver.

I forgot the network and reconnected several times to ensure I was on the 2.4 band.

So, I guess it is not the router's problem.  I will bug Yamaha some more.

Oh, and I fixed the Akruto syncing problem.  Not router related.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.  Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Message 6 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, wanted to make sure you checked everything. Yes, get ahold of Yamaha and have them look into this. If the pad is on 2.4ghz the app should be seeing the AVR as well. 

Good Luck. 

Message 7 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Ltripreno wrote:

Tried these suggestions.

I turned down the power of the 5g to 25%.  I unplugged the satelite and moved to where the tablet was on the 2.4 band.

No luck.  Same results.  The app does not see the receiver.

I forgot the network and reconnected several times to ensure I was on the 2.4 band.

So, I guess it is not the router's problem.  I will bug Yamaha some more.

Oh, and I fixed the Akruto syncing problem.  Not router related.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.  Much appreciated.

Cheers,

what are you so concerend about the app?  Do these devices actually work?  If not, then it's a bigger problem beyond the app.  If they do work, forget the app.

Message 8 of 23
CrimpOn
Guru

@Ltripreno wrote:

#1  My tablet is a Samsung Tab A and the Orbi app shows it on the 5ghz network.  I have a Yamaha AV receiver that shows up in the Orbi app as being on the 2.4ghz network.  The tablet has an app to control the AV receiver.  The app cannot "see"/find the receiver.

Could you please identify the specific model of Yamaha receiver?

Is it correct that the tablet and receiver were working correctly with an old router and the problem started when Orbi replaced it?

The Orbi was set up with exactly the same WiFi name & password as the old router?

Message 9 of 23
Ltripreno
Aspirant

Answering the last 2 comments.

Why am I so worried about it?   The AV receiver has 2 zones - main and patio.  I use the app to turn on the patio only without turning it on in the main.  It is a convenience factor.  It all worked fine before the router.  But I believe I have eliminated the router as thge issue by what I have done at the suggestions of several here.  Both devices were on the 2.4 band and the app did not see the receiver.  I use a universal remote in the main area to turn on my system...the main area not the patio.  If the app does not work, I will learn how to turn on the patio (zone 2) from the family room, then go outside.  The app also allows me to adjust volume and change input...pandora, spotify, etc.  So I would have to go inside to change volume.  On Pandora, the app allows me to thimbs up or thumbs down songs I like.  Without the app, I have to go inside to do that.  So, the app gives me a whoile lot of convenience when relaxing outside.

The receiver works fine inside on main.  I can use the setup and see the wifi setup.  I changed the IP address to something specific.  I then entered that sepcific IP address in the app.  The app still does not see the receiver.  Both devices are connected to the wifi.  I can confirm this with the Orbi app.

The Yamaha receiver is RX-A760.  The tablet is a Samsung Tab A  The Orbi is RBK50.

It very well could be a coincidental failure of some sort in the receiver.  I don;t go to the patio every day.  Especially in Winter!!!  But when I did...after the Orbi install...it did not connect.  Before the Orbi, yes, it worked fine.  I open the app on the tablet, it is connected to the receiver, I select zone...patio... and I power it on.  In a few seconds music is playing from Pandora in my outside speakers.

Based on what I have done so far, I am fairly convinced it is a Yamaha receiver issue.  Coincidental failure with the installation of the Orbi.

Cheers,

Message 10 of 23
CrimpOn
Guru

@Ltripreno wrote:

The Yamaha receiver is RX-A760.  The tablet is a Samsung Tab A  The Orbi is RBK50.

Based on what I have done so far, I am fairly convinced it is a Yamaha receiver issue.  Coincidental failure with the installation of the Orbi.

Thanks for the model number.  Wow!

Does the physical Yamaha remote (not the app) allow selection of internet music sources?

What was supposed to happen when the Orbi is set up with exactly the same WiFi SSID and password as the previous router is that every device should connect automatically.  Devices have no knowledge of "brands or models".  They look for standard SSID broadcasts, ask to connect and present a password.  It appears that the Yamaha receiver has connected to the Orbi because it appears in the list of Attached Devices.  Using the physical remote to select an internet music source (or, any music source that comes through the WiFi), will verify that.

My guess is that the app is "stuck".  I know this is a stretch, but when the Yamaha connected to the Orbi, did it get the same IP address as it did with the previous router?  (You may not remember. This is sort of "Nerd Trivia".)

I would uninstall the Yamaha App, reinstall it, and see if it will detect and control the receiver.

Message 11 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the Yamaha app do the same thing if attempted on a phone? 

@Ltripreno wrote:

It very well could be a coincidental failure of some sort in the receiver.  I don;t go to the patio every day.  Especially in Winter!!!  But when I did...after the Orbi install...it did not connect.  Before the Orbi, yes, it worked fine.  I open the app on the tablet, it is connected to the receiver, I select zone...patio... and I power it on.  In a few seconds music is playing from Pandora in my outside speakers.

Cheers,

Message 12 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Ltripreno wrote:

Answering the last 2 comments.

Why am I so worried about it?   The AV receiver has 2 zones - main and patio.  I use the app to turn on the patio only without turning it on in the main.  It is a convenience factor. 

It may be a convenience factor, but I'm pretty sure Yamaha did not design that receiver with the Orbi app in mind.  Is there not remote for the receiver, receiiver front control (old school)?

But keep playing with it, if it worked once, it'll work again as long as the FW hasn't pulled the plug on that ability.

Good luck.

Message 13 of 23
Ltripreno
Aspirant

I just tried it on the phone, as suggested.  A Samsung S7.  Same result.  Phone could not see/find the receiver.

Thanks again!!!

Message 14 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

OK. Hope Yamaha can figure this out for you. 

@Ltripreno wrote:

I just tried it on the phone, as suggested.  A Samsung S7.  Same result.  Phone could not see/find the receiver.

Thanks again!!!

Message 15 of 23
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

@Ltripreno, you state that you have your AV receiver connected to the 2.4GHz WiFi band (at least according to the Orbi Attached devices display).  Do network sources of the AV receiver work (pushing the NET: button on your remote)?  If they work, then the problem has to be some incompatibility with the app if it cannot find the AV receiver, even when you force your tablet and/or phone to use the 2.4GHz frequency instead of the 5GHz frequency.  Did you make sure your phone test also had your phone on the 2.4GHz frequency?

Message 16 of 23
Ltripreno
Aspirant

@tomschmidt wrote:

@Ltripreno, you state that you have your AV receiver connected to the 2.4GHz WiFi band (at least according to the Orbi Attached devices display).  Do network sources of the AV receiver work (pushing the NET: button on your remote)?  If they work, then the problem has to be some incompatibility with the app if it cannot find the AV receiver, even when you force your tablet and/or phone to use the 2.4GHz frequency instead of the 5GHz frequency.  Did you make sure your phone test also had your phone on the 2.4GHz frequency?

That is where I am at with Yamaha.  I trried playing Net radio and Pandora through/from the AV receiver.  It did not work.

I am waiting for Yamaha to respond with next steps.

Thanks!

Message 17 of 23
theoak
Luminary

There is always the obvious.  I had a satellite receiver that I spent hours trying to figure out why it would not connect to the internet ... the antenna was not screwed in all the way Smiley Embarassed

According the specs on the receiver, it does have a network port.  Do you have a long network cable to try a direct connection to your router or satellite?  Could you temporarily bring the satellite to where the receiver is and connect the receiver to the satellite via cable?

Message 18 of 23
theoak
Luminary

I kind of glossed over it too ... but are you using Circle or Armour or any other type of security appliance?

I have a UTM device that just implemented a "Threat Prevention" module where web sites are ranked according to "reputation" essentially on a scale of 1 being good to 5 being bad.  So I set my network to 4 to block supicious and high risk sites - sounds good right?.  Netflix stopped working, my satellite reciever stopped working ... the sites these apps/devices are connecting to is crazy.

I would also try turning off any "security" to start off with to make sure Yamaha is not trying to connect to someting that the security appliance may consider "bad".

Message 19 of 23
Ltripreno
Aspirant

@theoak wrote:

I kind of glossed over it too ... but are you using Circle or Armour or any other type of security appliance?

I have a UTM device that just implemented a "Threat Prevention" module where web sites are ranked according to "reputation" essentially on a scale of 1 being good to 5 being bad.  So I set my network to 4 to block supicious and high risk sites - sounds good right?.  Netflix stopped working, my satellite reciever stopped working ... the sites these apps/devices are connecting to is crazy.

I would also try turning off any "security" to start off with to make sure Yamaha is not trying to connect to someting that the security appliance may consider "bad".

I just spent a fair amount of time reviewing every darn screen in the Orbi administrative area...security, setup, etc.  I could not find anything that seemed like it would block anything.  I can't find any mention of Armour.  I did see Circle...it is not active.

I did upgrade the firmware.   No chnage.

Message 20 of 23
Ltripreno
Aspirant

SOLVED!!!!

The reciever IP address was 192.168.182.1.  It was configurable, so I changed the .1 to a .5

The app has the ability to put in specific IP addresses for which the app would search.  I put in the .5 address.  No go.

I went to the receiver and put in 192.168.1.90, then put that in the app.  Voila!!  It worked.

Cheers,

Message 21 of 23
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

That means that the AV receiver was using a Static IP rather than Dynamic IP from DHCP.  And since the static IP was for a different subnet than the 192.168.1 subnet of your Orbi, it was not seen on the network.  Glad you got it figured out now.  Since you set the static IP to 192.168.1.90, I suggest adding that to the DHCP Address Reservations under the Advanced -> Setup -> LAN Setup page of the web interface to the Orbi.  That way nothing else will get assigned a conflicting IP by DHCP if your receiver is off the network.

@Ltripreno wrote:

SOLVED!!!!

Cheers,

Message 22 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

I presumed the AVR had already been using 192.168.1.something. Smiley Embarassed

Glad you found this out. Interesting. Glad it's working now. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Ltripreno wrote:

SOLVED!!!!

Cheers,

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7