Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Devices not switching to satellites after 2.2.1.210 update

Ryan1919
Tutor

Devices not switching to satellites after 2.2.1.210 update

After firmware update my devices are not switching to the satellites when their closer to them than the router. Before the update I knew exactly when the device would switch to the satellite from the router but they no longer do that. In one instance I had my Tv actually connect to a satellite when it’s right next to router. Everything just seems screwed up after this update. Anyone else experience devices not connecting to satellites when they should or devices connecting to satellites when they shouldn’t be? I didn’t have any problems with devices sticking before but now I do. Their just not handing off to the stronger signal like before?
Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you reduce the power on the Orbi router from 100% to say 75 or 50%?

Message 2 of 11
Ryan1919
Tutor

I already have the transmit power at 75% for 5g and 50% for 2.4. I tried reducing the 5g to 50% but then my devices that should be connecting to 5G connected to the 2.4 instead. Before the update my devices switched to the satellite perfectly. I have a satellite in my bedroom and when I was in bed at night my phone would switch to the bedroom satellite every time before the update. After the update I did notice that the signal from the router seems to be stronger in the rooms where my satellites are so maybe that's why there not switching. Also devices are connecting to satellites when they should be connecting to the router. My TV is right next to the router but it keeps connecting to the bedroom satellite for some reason..

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Try this. Turn OFF the satellites and test with the router alone at with the power at 100%, then maybe turn on 1 satellite.

Whats the size of your home? Sqft?

Message 4 of 11
Ryan1919
Tutor

House is 2107sf and the satellite is about 33 feet from router. I'm going to do a factory reset and see what happens. I havent changed the configuration of the satellites and router and everything was working good before the update.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. I would try with the router alone first and check signal and connections...

Let us know.

Message 6 of 11
cool2562
Star

I had the same problem. The way I fixed it was to reset to factory defaults and set up from scratch.

Message 7 of 11
Ryan1919
Tutor

Are your satellites switching like they did before the update? The signal is way stronger from the router now which is why I think my devices aren't switching like they use to. The problem is if I turn down my transmit power to 50% for 5g then my devices connect to the 2.4g band because its stronger. 

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try with the router alone first and check signal and connections...The size of your home maybe too small for having the base router and satellites all running. 

Let us know.

Message 9 of 11
Hawkmoth
Star

Thanks for the suggestion to reset the rounter and set it up again from scratch. That also resolved my issue with devices not swithing to the satellite sfter updating firmware to version 2.2.1.210. I did see some devices on the satallite once in awhile, and those were idenitified with unknown for connection type. That also has been resolved by the reset.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank you for letting us know. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Hawkmoth wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion to reset the rounter and set it up again from scratch. That also resolved my issue with devices not swithing to the satellite sfter updating firmware to version 2.2.1.210. I did see some devices on the satallite once in awhile, and those were idenitified with unknown for connection type. That also has been resolved by the reset.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7