Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disconnect & reconnect when I walk between router & satellite

EKRW
Tutor

Disconnect & reconnect when I walk between router & satellite

I have been using RBK50 (one router RBR50 & one satellite RBS50, under Firmware V2.2.1.210) for several months, everything was fine ... until I recently discovered when I walk away from my router towards the satellite, the Wifi signal on my Android phone got disconnected, then connect to 4G mobile data for a very short while, and then reconnected to the Wifi.  The same appears when I walk in the reverse direction.  Hence, if I'm on a wifi call or streaming a video when I walk around in the house, I got disconnections frequently.  Everything else works fine so far.

Is this normal under Orbi's mesh system ?  If not, is there anything I can do to improve the situation ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 26
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Re: Disconnect & reconnect when I walk between router & satellite

If your backhaul status shows "good", and your router and satellite are not too distant from each other, then you could look to see if you have "fast roaming" checked or unchecked. You could play with this. Also the "beam forming". I found beam forming to be counter productive for my situation and have it disabled. Depending on your individual situation, some of that could be with your phone also. Fast roaming eliminates re-authenticaton from one AP to the other, but in some situations that is good or bad depending on the phone and environment. Also leave your phone in various spots and check how it is connected (2.4 or 5GHz) on  "attached devices" to get a sense if it is changing from 5GHz to 2.4GHz before it drops and then where it drops. If available try with a different phone for comparison.

Message 2 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Message 3 of 26
EKRW
Tutor

Thank you JoeCymru.

Before I post this enquiry, my setting was Beamforming-ON, Fast Roaming-OFF.  After I read your suggestion, I tried all combinations, both ON, both OFF, either one ON and other OFF.  Unfortunately, none of these helped.  I also tried your recommendation to see how the phone's wifi is connected, yes whenever it got disconnected/ reconnected, it's switching between 5GHz to 2.4 GHz and vice versa.

Actually, I'm not so technical, all I need is a seamless Wifi in my house without any switch of SSID and dead corner.  That's why I picked Orbi, not sure if that was a wrong decision.

Message 4 of 26
EKRW
Tutor

Thank you FURRYe38.

Actually I just moved into this new build townhouse several months ago.  I'm using Hyperoptics and there is no ISP modem provided, just a cable from the wall socket in the utilities room. 

The size is around 2,600 sq.ft with four stories including the ground floor.  The router is placed in the utilities room at the center of the ground floor while the satellite (only one) is placed on the 2nd floor on one end.  The backhaul status of satellte usually shows "Good"; and signal of Wifi is acceptable almost everywhere except I got disconnected / reconnected when I walk towards either towards the router or satellite.  Suspect it's a switch between 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz and I presume a mesh system can perform this change seamlessly without disconnecting/ reconnecting the wifi on my phone.

Message 5 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Is Fast Roaming enabled or disabled? 

Possible the phone can't switch seamlessly as well. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33195-wi-fi-roaming-secrets-revealed
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33196-wi-fi-roaming-secrets-revealed-part...
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33197-wi-fi-roaming-secrets-revealed-part...
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basics/wireless-basics/33180-how-to-fix-wi-fi-roaming
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33100-why-you-don-t-need-mu-mimo

@EKRW wrote:

Thank you FURRYe38.

Actually I just moved into this new build townhouse several months ago.  I'm using Hyperoptics and there is no ISP modem provided, just a cable from the wall socket in the utilities room. 

The size is around 2,600 sq.ft with four stories including the ground floor.  The router is placed in the utilities room at the center of the ground floor while the satellite (only one) is placed on the 2nd floor on one end.  The backhaul status of satellte usually shows "Good"; and signal of Wifi is acceptable almost everywhere except I got disconnected / reconnected when I walk towards either towards the router or satellite.  Suspect it's a switch between 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz and I presume a mesh system can perform this change seamlessly without disconnecting/ reconnecting the wifi on my phone.

Message 6 of 26
randomousity
Luminary

I'm going to take this in a different direction and ask about your phone. Have you looked in the wifi or data settings to see if there's anything there that could help you? E.g., something like fast switching between wifi and cellular? It's possible that when your phone is being handed off between the ORbi router and Orbi satellite, that your phone is deciding to switch to cellular data, rather than to the other Orbi access point, and that this is causing the drops. Also, if you have the ability, I'd look at the wifi signal strength in the area of your house where you get dropped. It's possible your Orbi router and satellite are too far apart and that you have a dead zone in the middle.

Message 7 of 26
ekhalil
Master

@EKRW wrote:

............., yes whenever it got disconnected/ reconnected, it's switching between 5GHz to 2.4 GHz and vice versa.

If the device changes between bands while moving between the base stations (router and satellites) then this shows that your base stations are far away from each other and that you don't have enough overlap between them. Do you have the possibility to get the units closer to each other and see if you get any improvement?

Message 8 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

@EKRW wrote:

Thank you FURRYe38.

Message 9 of 26
EKRW
Tutor

Thank you randomousity.

I tried several mobile devices after your comment, and got mixed results as follows:

Worked - i.e. No disconnect / Reconnect when I walk towards router / satellite or vice versa:

1. Samsung Android phone

2. Lenovo Window 10 notebook

Not worked

3. LG two different models of Android phones including mine

4. Apple iPad mini

5. Apple iPhone 7

And I do not aware any settings in my phone which allows fast switching between Wifi and cellular.

One item I want to add is the disconnection/ reconnection on my phone (and also those devices lable 3 to 5 as above) happens when I "walk into a 3-5 feet distance of the router or satellite and stop for around 10-15 seconds".  All other locations are fine including the mid-way between router & satellite; so seems like there is no dead zone between them from my view.  So strange.

Message 10 of 26
EKRW
Tutor

Thank you ekhalil.

The disconnection/ reconnection on my phone (and also some other devices) happens when I "walk into a 3-5 feet distance of the router or satellite and stop for around 10-15 seconds".  All other locations are fine including the mid-way between router & satellite; so seems like there is no dead zone between them from my view.

Message 11 of 26
EKRW
Tutor

Thank you FURRYe38.

Router is on grond floor, and the only satellite is on two floors above; should be within the 30 feet guideline. 

The disconnection / reconnection of the wifi signal does not happens in the middle locations between the router / satellite; but happens when I "walk into a 3-5 feet distance of the router or satellite and stop for around 10-15 seconds". All other locations are fine including the mid-way between router & satellite; so seems like there is no dead zone between them from my view.

For example, when I'm on a Skype call on the 2nd floor (where the satellite is); and I walk downstairs towards the router, the wifi signal is strong all along the way until when I'm on the ground floor (where the router is) within a 3-5 feet distancehe of the router.  Then, the line dropped because the phone's wifi got disconnected and reconnected again automatically.

Message 12 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

That maybe a problem of the phone and not the wifi. Since your walking away from the phones initial contact source, the signal is slowly dropping from that contact point, thus the phone detects this and I presume once the signal hits it's threashold, the phone will try to find a better singal. This is when the disconnect happens. 

@EKRW wrote:

Thank you FURRYe38.

Router is on grond floor, and the only satellite is on two floors above; should be within the 30 feet guideline. 

The disconnection / reconnection of the wifi signal does not happens in the middle locations between the router / satellite; but happens when I "walk into a 3-5 feet distance of the router or satellite and stop for around 10-15 seconds". All other locations are fine including the mid-way between router & satellite; so seems like there is no dead zone between them from my view.

For example, when I'm on a Skype call on the 2nd floor (where the satellite is); and I walk downstairs towards the router, the wifi signal is strong all along the way until when I'm on the ground floor (where the router is) within a 3-5 feet distancehe of the router.  Then, the line dropped because the phone's wifi got disconnected and reconnected again automatically.

Message 13 of 26
randomousity
Luminary

Given that, it sounds like you may have somewhat of a dead zone in between the Orbi router and Orbi satellite, and it's just that a couple of your devices have better antennas and are able to get the weak signal, whereas some of your other devices have smaller/fewer antennas and see that spot as a dead zone. It's just like how you and someone else can be right next to each other with your different-model cell phones, and be using the same carrier, and one of you can have a weaker signal than the other, or even no signal, while the other can be fine. The signal coverage isn't uniform. As you increase the distance from the router or satellite, the signal attenuates, and is weaker. Obstructions, like walls, furniture, floors/ceilings, etc., will increase the attenuation, and decrease the signal strength at a give location.

I suspect you may be able to improve your situation just by moving the router and satellite a little closer together. It may be as simple as just leaving everything connected where it is and stretching the cords to their max in the direction of the other Orbi. If you can move the router a couple feet toward the satellite, and the satellite a couple feet toward the router, that might be enough to fix your issue. If not, maybe moving the Orbi satellite one outlet closer to the router will (or plugging it into an extension cord) will. Alternatively, if you don't have any wired devices plugged into the satellite, try putting it in a different room.

Basically, I think you have a dead zone, but a couple of your devices are powerful enough they aren't affected by it.

Message 14 of 26
ekhalil
Master

@randomousity wrote:

Given that, it sounds like you may have somewhat of a dead zone in between the Orbi router and Orbi satellite, and it's just that a couple of your devices have better antennas and are able to get the weak signal, whereas some of your other devices have smaller/fewer antennas and see that spot as a dead zone. It's just like how you and someone else can be right next to each other with your different-model cell phones, and be using the same carrier, and one of you can have a weaker signal than the other, or even no signal, while the other can be fine. The signal coverage isn't uniform. As you increase the distance from the router or satellite, the signal attenuates, and is weaker. Obstructions, like walls, furniture, floors/ceilings, etc., will increase the attenuation, and decrease the signal strength at a give location.

I suspect you may be able to improve your situation just by moving the router and satellite a little closer together. It may be as simple as just leaving everything connected where it is and stretching the cords to their max in the direction of the other Orbi. If you can move the router a couple feet toward the satellite, and the satellite a couple feet toward the router, that might be enough to fix your issue. If not, maybe moving the Orbi satellite one outlet closer to the router will (or plugging it into an extension cord) will. Alternatively, if you don't have any wired devices plugged into the satellite, try putting it in a different room.

Basically, I think you have a dead zone, but a couple of your devices are powerful enough they aren't affected by it.

Completely agree. I think the best way to solve this issue is to get the base stations closer. Please try that 🙂

Message 15 of 26
EKRW
Tutor

Thank you randomousity and ekhalil.

Today, I tried brought forward the satellite to about 10 feet from the router.  Unfortunately, when I walked from the satellite to the router and about 2 feet apart, I stopped and waited for 1 minute, my phone's wifi signal got disconnected and reconnected agian.  Very frustrating. Please help.

Message 16 of 26
ekhalil
Master

@EKRW wrote:

Thank you randomousity and ekhalil.

Today, I tried brought forward the satellite to about 10 feet from the router.  Unfortunately, when I walked from the satellite to the router and about 2 feet apart, I stopped and waited for 1 minute, my phone's wifi signal got disconnected and reconnected agian.  Very frustrating. Please help.

Can you please try the following:

1. Please first check the IP address of the Satellite under attached devices, and confirm that the Satellite has an IP address within the range defined in the DHCP range in the router. Most probably it is, but please check it. For roaming to correctly work both APs should belong to the same LAN network.

2. Can we do a small experiment to confirm that it's a coverage issue!

Please set the power level of the 5GHz band to the minimum (25%), then check that the phone you will test with is connected to the 2.4GHz band (in Orbi app or in the GUI) and then move towards the other base station. If you get no disconnection then you conclude that the issue is just coverage issue.

Message 17 of 26
EKRW
Tutor

Thank you ekhalil.

1. The Satellite IP address is 192.168.1.17, which is within the preset DHCP range between 2 to 254.

2. The result of this small experiment is interesting.  I set 5GHz to 25%, phone connected to 2.4GHz when I'm near Satellite, then I walked slowly towards Router which is about 10 feet away.  During the short walk, the phone's wifi band changed from 2.4GHz to 5GHz & vice versa seamlessly (without disconnection / reconnection which I used to experience).  I walked several times between the Satellite & Router, and got the same result, which is very encouraging; and this is exactly what I expect a mesh system should function.

So, you said it's just a coverage issue, and what does this mean ?  Now, what shall I do next please ?

Message 18 of 26
ekhalil
Master

@EKRW wrote:

Thank you ekhalil.

1. The Satellite IP address is 192.168.1.17, which is within the preset DHCP range between 2 to 254.

2. The result of this small experiment is interesting.  I set 5GHz to 25%, phone connected to 2.4GHz when I'm near Satellite, then I walked slowly towards Router which is about 10 feet away.  During the short walk, the phone's wifi band changed from 2.4GHz to 5GHz & vice versa seamlessly (without disconnection / reconnection which I used to experience).  I walked several times between the Satellite & Router, and got the same result, which is very encouraging; and this is exactly what I expect a mesh system should function.

So, you said it's just a coverage issue, and what does this mean ?  Now, what shall I do next please ?

Thanks for testing. This proves that you have a dead zone between the base stations. The 2.4 GHz has longer range and that's why you have the needed overlap between the base stations' coverage areas and roaming worked as it should between the stations. This seems not the case for the 5 GHz band. What you need to do is to improve the overlap area between the base stations. You already tried to get the base stations closer to each other, but can you also please try -if possible- to change to positioning of the base stations. The fronthault antennas are located on the sides of the router and satellite. Please try to test different combinations: wall hanging, laying down the base station, ... etc and see which way you will get better results.

Message 19 of 26
EKRW
Tutor

Thank you ekhalil.

So can I presume the coverage would be optimum if the 5GHz can be overlapped between the Router and the Satellite ?

I'll test out different locations during the holiday to see which one can get the best result.

BTW, do you think an additional satellite would be needed if the above test is not satisfactory ?  

Message 20 of 26
ekhalil
Master

@EKRW wrote:

So can I presume the coverage would be optimum if the 5GHz can be overlapped between the Router and the Satellite ?

Yes, I think that you will have a working roaming if you have an overlap in the 5GHz band.

@EKRW wrote:

BTW, do you think an additional satellite would be needed if the above test is not satisfactory ?  

Yes, if you have the possibility to add another satellite between the existing router and Satellite you will solve this overlap issue. You probably just need to add a plug satellite (RBW30) on the way between the existing base station.

Message 21 of 26
ekhalil
Master

@EKRW How are things going for you with the roaming issues? 🙂

Message 22 of 26
EKRW
Tutor

Thank you ekhalil for asking.

After I moved the Satelitte to the first floor (within 15 feet distance to Router), the result is mixed.  When I walk from the Router to the Satellite (and vice versa) & stopped for a while, I still got disconnections almost 90% of the time.  I believe it's not the dead zone issue as I've good connections in between the devices.

The Channels I use are Auto for 2.4GHz and 36 for 5GHz; both transmite power set to 100%; and I've my SSID hidden.  Both CTS/RTS Threshold have been set to 2347 (as default ?), and the preamble mode are both Automatic.  I've only enabled the Implicit BEMNFORMING for the rest of settings.  Not sure if these configurations resulted the negative experience in using the Orbi.

Much appreciated your advices.

Message 23 of 26
ekhalil
Master

@EKRW wrote:

The Channels I use are Auto for 2.4GHz and 36 for 5GHz; both transmite power set to 100%; and I've my SSID hidden.  Both CTS/RTS Threshold have been set to 2347 (as default ?), and the preamble mode are both Automatic.  I've only enabled the Implicit BEMNFORMING for the rest of settings.  Not sure if these configurations resulted the negative experience in using the Orbi.

- Please try to fix the 2.4GHz to channel 1, 6 or 11. It's good if you can make a wifi scan and select the 2.4 and 5 GHz channels that are not or least used.

- Please test to disable beamforming, I read that it can have negative effect on roaming

- If fast roaming is enabled, please make sure to disable it as it requires device support.

Message 24 of 26
EKRW
Tutor

Thank you ekhalil.

I've done a wifi scan, there are other people using channel 1, 6 or 11, but not others.  Can I use channel 3 or 8 or any others ?  Why everyone nearby are using channels 1, 6 or 11 ?

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7