Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Do I have to do something about this?

neerajv
Tutor

Do I have to do something about this?

Hi,

So i am using RBR50 Router and when i login into admin page and then go to Advanced and then logs, i see lots of entries like this

[DoS Attack: ARP Attack] from source: 70.112.16.1, Wednesday, January 08, 2020 01:02:21
[DoS Attack: ARP Attack] from source: 63.246.161.1, Wednesday, January 08, 2020 00:41:21
[DoS Attack: ARP Attack] from source: 70.112.16.1, Wednesday, January 08, 2020 00:13:40
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 51.68.155.65, port 443, Tuesday, January 07, 2020 19:24:09

Is it safe to say that someone from outside is trying to attack my router and trying to do DOS?

What do i do to prevent it? I have just basic router password setup. Can someone provide me some more information? Do i need a vpn ? I have a firewall on my laptop ON.

Please advice.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Do I have to do something about this?

There is nothing you need to do.  The Orbi has a robust firewall that totally rejects any attempt to connect from outside unless the connection has been specifically allowed in the Orbi configuration (port forwarding, VPN, etc.)  It is a sad fact of life that any device with a public IP address is bombarded by people seeking to learn what it is, what ports are open, and what they can "do" with it.  There is an option to turn off the logging function.  The attempts still take place, but the user is no longer annoyed by seeing them.  (There are some who believe the Orbi Denial of Service alerts are too much "crying wolf.)

This is much like those annoying robocalls. I get maybe 30-50 robocalls every day.  If I turn off the ringer on my phone, they no longer bother me.  They still happen.  I simply no longer hear them.  (Actually, I leave the ringer on and look at the Caller ID display.  Don't recognize the caller?  Don't pick up the phone.)  Orbi does the same thing.  It says, "Hey.  Some bozo tried to scan for open ports."

Personally, I like to keep the logs.  (I'm a Nerd.  I actually have all the logs emailed to me and save them up, one month at a time (going back for a year.)  So far this month, I have log files with 3,200 entries.  I can go back and see when devices got DHCP renewals, when I logged into the web interface, when the Orbi rebooted, and what sort of DoS activity is going on.)

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7