Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Do all satellites link back to base?

axelrider
Initiate

Do all satellites link back to base?

Hi, if more than one satellite is used, does each one have to connect back to the base unit, or can one satellite daisy chain from another?

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions

Re: Do all satellites link back to base?

hi guys

the answer is that at the present time all sats connect back to the router only , they do not at this stage communicate between each other

so at this stage the orbi is star topology

i believe it may be planned to run the orbi and its sat's in a true mesh type topology in the furure but not at this present time

this is usually not an issue if you can place the orbi router between the sat's as in

sat ------ router ------sat

pete

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 11

All Replies
ChristineT
Admin

Hello Axelrider!

Thank you for your question and welcome to the community!

At this time, the Orbi kit only includes the Router and one (1) satellite.  Orbi WiFi System can support up to three (3) satellites. Additional satellites will be available for purchase in due course. I encourage you to submit this idea on our Home Networking Ideas Exchange forum and vote for this idea. The more votes, the more likely the feature will get implemented.

We would love to hear any additional feedback you have about Orbi and how you like it! 

Best Regards,

ChristineT

Message 2 of 11
axelrider
Initiate

Hi ChristineT,

Thanks for the reply, however it didn't really answer the question. Please let me know if using more that one sattelite does satellite 2 or 3 connect to the base unit, or can they be "daisy changed" to extend range.

Thanks

Message 3 of 11
th3w01f
Apprentice

I would also like to know the answer to this question.  In my configuration the main router is at the edge of the house and the 1st satellite is about 50' towards the middle.  If I add another satellite it will be about 50' further out from the 1st satellite so communication back to the router will have to hop though the 1st satellite or work at more than 100’ from the router. 

Message 4 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

They all link back up to the base but this would be a good suggestion to put in the Idea exchange board.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

DarrenM

Message 5 of 11

hi guys

the answer is that at the present time all sats connect back to the router only , they do not at this stage communicate between each other

so at this stage the orbi is star topology

i believe it may be planned to run the orbi and its sat's in a true mesh type topology in the furure but not at this present time

this is usually not an issue if you can place the orbi router between the sat's as in

sat ------ router ------sat

pete

Message 6 of 11
tsvisser
Initiate

This is unacceptable.  The reason that I purchased this system was some implied mesh topology.  That plus not having ethernet based wired backhaul is a problem, but more so the mesh topology.  I purchased this setup rather than a Meraki or Eero system to be able to extend the netweork further than a single hop from my router (which is at the extreme edge of my network - not flexible in placement).

Message 7 of 11

unfortunatly it is what it is for now , when and if it gets mesh topology only the dev team can say , but you might want to have a read of the losses incured in mesh type systems

smallnetbuilder have a nice write up on mesh and losses incured

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33020-mesh-wi-fi-mashup

pete

Message 8 of 11

@tsvisser wrote:

This is unacceptable.  The reason that I purchased this system was some implied mesh topology. 

i do however agree that this statement on the web site implies its mesh

Finally, Mesh Done Right

Orbi can grow as you need it with seamless connectivity between devices and Orbi units. Orbi’s Tri-band WiFi System allows your devices to move between bands and other Orbi units without needing to reconnect. Every inch of your home will be covered in a blazing fast network giving you Better WiFi. Everywhere.

plus it implies that the client devices dont disconnect which at this stage is also incorrect

the above statement should be removed from the orbi web site at this stage

pete

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 9 of 11
jgreene120
Aspirant

Sat --- base --- Sat or can this be used now as

base --- Sat--- Sat
Message 10 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

When the Orbi product was released in 2016 "Daisy Chain" connection of satellites was not supported.  That feature was implemented YEARS ago.

(sometimes message threads from seven years ago are not longer useful.)

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7