Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Does 2.1.3.4 restrict Satellite performance?

sh2sg
Apprentice

Does 2.1.3.4 restrict Satellite performance?

I have been with Firmware 2.0.1.4 since purchase, happy with that, I am using wireless backhaul, speedtest result was about 620Mbps when MacBookPro connected to Satellite,.

Upgraded to 2.1.3.4 2 days ago, upgrade was done in 5 mins on both Router and Satellite without any issue, but I noticed performace on Satellite dropped about 30%, same location same MacBookPro speedtest only got 450Mbps when it connected to Satellite. 

I checked all the release notes after v2.0.14, I saw some like "Fixed high CPU when Orbi is in AP mode" (2.1.1.16 & 2.1.2.18). Not sure if they are related but I think it makes sense that high throughput causes high CPU usage? Did Netgear fix this issue by simply limiting throughput?   

I am thinking of downgrading to 2.0.1.4 but should I try factory reset first?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 25
sh2sg
Apprentice

I contacted Netgear support. As adviced by him, I did factory reset on Satellite and re-synced, still the same problem.

Then I downgraded to v2.0.1.4 on both Router and Satellite, I got 600+Mbps speedtest result again.

So it is definitely the limitation brought by one of the firmware after v2.0.1.4.

I telnet to Router and disabled firmware auto-upgrade by updating orbi_auto_upgrade, auto_check_for_upgrade and auto_update, committed the changes back to nvram. I hope this trick still works.

To summarise, after installed one of firmware after v2.0.1.4 (I tried v2.1.3.4), Satellite (RBS50) performance dropped significantly:

1. Single thread by speedtest.net. Download result < 450Mbps. (vs >600Mbps on v2.0.1.4)

2. Multi-threads by download manager such as iGetter. Start 10 downloads at the same time, each download has 10 segments, total concurrent 100 HTTP sessions. Total download speed 19-20MB/s. (vs 36-40MB/s on v2.0.1.4)

3. FTP upload to local NAS. Upload speed 7-8MB/s. (vs 12-14MB/s on 2.0.1.4)

It looks like Orbi Satellite reduces transmit power when volume reaches certain threshold? I strongly feel this is caused by the fix of "Fixed high CPU when Orbi is in AP mode".

Message 2 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have to ask....why AP mode?

Message 3 of 25
sh2sg
Apprentice

don't think it is related but this is why: I am more comfortable with the features provided by my Router. 

Message 4 of 25
sh2sg
Apprentice

Another issue

4. Band steering is not working properly on v2.1.3.4, I often found my MacBookPro connected to 2.4Ghz even it was right beside Satellite. With v2.0.1.4, those devices that support 5Ghz will stay with 5Ghz unless they are too far away.

Message 5 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume this maybe a higher speed issue as I don't have 600Mb ISP speeds.

I ran a test on my iphone connected to the satellite in the back office. Not using wired back haul. I'm seen a consistant 200/10 spec speeds which is my ISP speeds I pay for. Also using the WifiSweetSpot app, it's showing a consitant 700Mb speed which I presume it's measuring the speeds of the satellite and the iphone only.

I'm using the v2.1.3 FW here and router mode.

I would make contact with the moderators on here and let them know what your seeing.

@AmitRand @DarrenM

Message 6 of 25
sh2sg
Apprentice

I think it is from the fix of  "Fixed high CPU when Orbi is in AP mode", Netgear support told me that is a fix with previous problem about devices getting too hot and draining battery too fast when connected to the Orbi network. I guess the new firmware then tries to reduce transmit power or move devices to 2.4Ghz in order to keep devices 'cool'? Honestly, shouldn't it be managed by devices rather than Router?

I am with 1Gbps Fibre plan BTW, with 2.0.1.4,
MacBookPro connects wired to Orbi Router, I can get max 960Mbps download speed on speedtest.net.
MacBookPro conencts wireless to Orbi, I can get max 670Mbps download speed on speedtest.net

I am happy with that speeds coming back now after downgraded firmware, I just hope the trick to disable auto-upgrade still works.

Message 7 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

One other reason why I'm not seeing this issue, my system is in router mode.

Something to let NG support know for sure. Maybe a fine balance with speed and this CPU stuff going on.

Message 8 of 25
sh2sg
Apprentice

Well, to me AP mode uses lesser CPU than Router mode so it should behave better?

Actually I checked the debug page when doing speedtest and 100 HTTP sessions multi-threads downloading, Orbi CPU usage was about 27%, pretty normal, didn't even feel warm on its surface.

I also did speedtest on iPhone 6s Plus, it is about 550Mbps (2.0.1.4) vs 430Mbps (2.1.3.4) , due to the use of mobile phone, decreasing of speed isn't very noticeable.

Anyway I have reported all of above info to Netgear support, the case has been escalated to the next level expert, let's see what they can advice.

Message 9 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

I did same test with my 6sP and seeing 690-790Mb both at the router and Satellite. Using that wifi sweetspot app.

Message 10 of 25
sh2sg
Apprentice

I never used this app, but looks like it only measures theoretical speed by the rate of signal dBm. you should try speedtest app, it tells the round-trip from your device to orbi to modem to internet, it is the real speed you can get.

Message 11 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes have the speedtest app as well. Seeing 200/10 consitantly...just tested this today. 

Message 12 of 25
eljarviso
Luminary

The best way to test performance is with iperf.  Setup a wired machine on the router running the iperf server and then run iperf client from your mac.  This will accurately test TCP or UDP transfer rates between the two devices.

Message 13 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there a version of iPerf for OSX?

@eljarviso wrote:

The best way to test performance is with iperf.  Setup a wired machine on the router running the iperf server and then run iperf client from your mac.  This will accurately test TCP or UDP transfer rates between the two devices.

Message 14 of 25
eljarviso
Luminary

Yep. Https://iperf.fr has pre-compiled binaries. Alternately you can install homebrew/macports and get the command line version there.

To run on the server type. iperf3 -s
On the client type: iperf3 -c serveripaddress -t 10 -P 10 (capital P).

This will run iperf for 10 seconds and run 10 parallel threads. If you want to do things like specify bitrate or bytes you can go through the built in help or do some google searching.
Message 15 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Kewl. I'll check this out. Thank you for posting.

Message 16 of 25
sh2sg
Apprentice

Update.

I spent some hours last weekend, upgraded/downgraded v2.0.1.4 and v2.1.3.4 back and forth multiple times, ran debug capture while testing speed. I couldn't reprocude the same problem any more. v2.1.3.4 firmware, in terms of download speed, is same or slightly better than v2.0.1.4.

However I did notice something during the tests and I think that might be the reason caused performance drop as I noticed at the first place. There are 2 times, when I tried to install firmware, after uploaded firmware image, Web UI said session timedout server busy something... Checked the debug page of Router and Sattlite, I noticed CPU usage were about 100% on both, and stayed at 100% (checked again after 10 mins, still 100%). I had to restart Router and Satellite in order to install firmware.

I can't give the exact scenario which could keep CPU such busy, I think repeating start capture / save debug log / start capture / save debug log / ... could be one of the reason but I am not sure.

100% CPU usage definitely imapcts everything, including performance.

Netgear support suggested factory reset on Satellite, I did but didn't touch Router, so if Router was also 100% CPU, the wireless backhaul between Router and Satellite was probably affected, that may explain why I got lower speeds on Satellite.

After the tests I stayed at v2.1.3.4 and monitored it for 2 days, I did speedtests at different hours and checked CPU usages, so far so good, speedtest results on Wireless AC on Satellite are about 620Mbps - 670Mbps, max CPU usages were about 50-60% during the speedtest, and immediately went back to 10% after download completed.

Very high CPU usage could be the sign of unexpected issues, and it is hard to be drawn the attention even someone is aware of the existence of debug page. I whish Netgear can think of displaying CPU and/or other Router/Satellite stats in the Orbi app.

Message 17 of 25
sh2sg
Apprentice

just a new update.

it is almost reproducable. RBR50 drops speed after 5 days: enountered 2 rounds.

after stayed with firmware 2.1.4.10 for 5 days without any issue, on the 6th day, it started throwing performance issue, speedtest result dropped by 200Mbps (from 660Mbps to 430Mbps) when wireless on Satellite. monitored for 2 days, didn't see any improvement.

CPU load / memory usage / temperature all look pretty good.
Wireless Backhaul status is good too.

retarted Orbi Satellite, didn't help.

restarted Orbi Router, speed was back.

Although I always test on Satellite, but the problem seems to be on Router side, looks like a time bomb something in Router, that reduces backhaul performance after 5 days (to remind to reboot?)

I am getting a bit frustrated now.

Provided Netgear support debug logs, don't think they looked it...

Message 18 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 19 of 25
sh2sg
Apprentice

Forgot to mention what I have observed.

After speed dropped on the 6th day,

I firstly restarted Router, when Router was back, I noticed the wireless backhaul status is poor and stayed at Poor. I tried speedtest (on Satellite), same poor speed.

I then restarted Satellite too, wireless backhaul status was back to Good, re-tested speedtest, it now gave expected result.

It looks like wireless backhaul somehow became poor after some days, but the status shown in Attached Devices page wasn't correctly refreshed. Only when you restarted Router, it then showed correct status, which may explain where the performance problem came from: it was actually due to poor wireless backhaul but you couldn't see the correct status from Web UI.

So there are 2 problems:

1. Why wireless backhaul became poort after some days? 

2. Why the status was not correct?

To be honest I like Orbi, it simplifies wireless setup with good coverage, but the performance issue is really annoy, now I have to restart Router and Satellite every week to get it worked properly... When I was using my old Router, I didn't even need to restart it in a year.

Message 20 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible you have a bad satellite going bad. IF you reboot the satelite after it's Poor condition and it comes back to Good then falls back to poor, I would look into replacing the Satellite.

Message 21 of 25
budy
Luminary

Actually, I don't think that the satellite is bad. I had observed something similar, when I was on 2.1.2.18 and speedtests where only showing 50mbps instead of 100mps. I fixed that also with a reboot of either the satellite or the router - I can't remember exactly which one. So, this seems to be more of a software issue than a hardware issue.

And frankly, having monitored this forum for a couple of months now, I conclude that the Orbi HW is not the issue im general, as there are a lot of post of people having had their units replaced, but their problems persistet. This also indicates, that the Orbi HW is very good, but the FW still needs attention. And I know, that we concurr on the latter one. Smiley Wink

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 22 of 25
sh2sg
Apprentice

I believe it is due to firmware, I don't have such problem with 2.0.1.4. As I described in the first post, those versions after 2.0.1.4 seemed to have some built-in logics to purposely reduce speed.

Message 23 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Something you might contact one of the forum Moderators and ask about:

@DarrenM

Message 24 of 25
sh2sg
Apprentice

Running beta firmware v2.1.5.2 about one month, didn't restart Router and Satellite (System Uptime 31:18:16:19), so far so good, didn't enouter obvious speed drop on Satellite.

speed test results in the past one month

Xnip2018-06-24_14-50-16.jpg

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7