Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does Firmware v2.7.5.4 Log Attacks?

CrimpOn
Guru

Does Firmware v2.7.5.4 Log Attacks?

I have kept logs from an RBR50 for almost four years.***  After updating to v2.7.5.4 in mid-March, the logs no longer contain "Known DoS attacks and Port Scans".

Rebooting the router did not cause it to resume logging attacks.

A Factory Reset and reload of configuration did not cause it to resume logging attacks.

The question is:

• Is MY RBR50 the only Orbi on v2.7.5.4 that does not log attacks, or
  • Do ALL Orbi's on v2.7.5.4 not log attacks?

If ALL Orbi's on v2.7.5.4 do not log attacks, then there is no point in pursuing this issue.  If it is only MY Orbi, then perhaps a couple of hours doing a Factory Reset and reconfiguration from scratch might be considered.

Thanks

*** I fully understand that the Orbi Firewall repels these "attacks" whether they are logged or not and that keeping a record is for my own amusement.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Does Firmware v2.7.5.4 Log Attacks?

May not be seeing them in the logs. Noticing this on Orbi AX systems as well. 

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

That's why I am hoping for a counter example.  If even one RBR50 running v2.7.5.4 does log attacks, then maybe something is "wrong" with mine.

I doubt that Netgear intended to remove this feature when releasing v2.7.5.4 because it remains a choice in the log setting and in the WAN setup menu.

Message 3 of 6
Jeffgear
Luminary

I’m now only seeing NTP and admin logins on this firmware.
Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the validation. There is not much value in those log entries, so I remain mostly annoyed.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Something we've noticed on Orbi AX as well. Possible NG maybe avoiding logging of attacks. Possible false negatives that may or may not be really needed. NG seems to have a long history of logs that are not really helpful. NG maybe getting rid of logging. 🙄

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7