Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does Orbi work with FiOS, directly to the ONT, with ethernet backhaul yet?

jimpc
Aspirant

Does Orbi work with FiOS, directly to the ONT, with ethernet backhaul yet?

So is the RBK50 system able to connect directly to the FiOS ONT while sending signal to the other Orbi's via ethernet backhaul yet? Trying this 2 years ago, then a year later, resulted in the system being completely useless.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Does Orbi work with FiOS, directly to the ONT, with ethernet backhaul yet?

Orbi ethernet back haul has been working for a while now. Doesn't depend on ISP services. Just having good ethernet cabling and the use of non managed non green ethernet switches for best operation for Orbi ethernet backhaul. 

Message 2 of 7
jimpc
Aspirant

Please don't respond unless you are familiar with the situation. The Orbi system up until at least a year ago, when I last tried, had a well known issue connecting directly to the ONT while using ethernet backhaul for other units. Using wireless connection or putting the fios gateway between the Orbi and the ONT worked fine. It was a problem with the orbi being able to properly grab an ip address if I remember correctly. This was a well known and documented issue among users in this community exclusive to this use case. Meanwhile TP-link, Eero, and Google's mesh systems worked just fine in this use case. Again, please don't respond with a generic statement about how the Orbi's generally work that don't pertain to this use case.   

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

IF the Orbi gets and IP from the ONT, which from what others have mentioned here in the resent past, Orbi is working for ONT and other ISP services. Again Orbi ethernet backhaul is NOT effected by ISP services or ONTs. If the Orbi is not getting an IP address from the ONT or gateway, then there is mis-configuration of the Orbi, cableing, ISP services or last resort a HW failure of the RBR. The ethernet backhaul is independent upon ISP services. You can connect any Orbi up with Ethernet backhaul with out ISP modem or ONT and the RBS will still work as far as getting IP and LAN side resources. 

Hope other ONT users will post there experiences for you as well. 

It was suggested to you to contact NG support about this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Does-ethernet-backhaul-work-on-FiOS-yet/m-p/1662046

I guess you didn't? 

I'll post as I see fit. Thank you. 

Message 4 of 7
jimpc
Aspirant

No again, you don't know what you're talking about. The Orbi firmware was set up so poorly that it didn't use to properly identify which unit is the router and which is the secondary unit when connected directly to the fios ont while using ethernet backhaul. The reason why it worked with wireless was because only the main Orbi was physically connected to the ONT so no mixup could happen. This resulted in the system going useless after 15 minutes of a full factory reset because eventually both units would be tricked into swapping as primary and secondary which causes the whole thing to collapse because only one unit is actually connected to the ONT. It was a KNOWN issue on the forums with responses from Netgear saying they were working on it. I'm asking if that has been resolved. I can tell you love having that Sensei next to your name so you mindlessly reply to as many posts as you can but please, realize in this instance you have no idea what you're talking about.    

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried the latest FW? Maybe you should instead of claiming it doesnt' work. Maybe NG has resolved it. 

If you haven't been in contact with NG then maybe contact them and see. 

Message 6 of 7

@jimpc wrote:

No again, you don't know what you're talking about.

NETGEAR-Community-Terms-Of-Service

Behave with civility and mutual respect. Flaming or name calling will not be tolerated.

There is no need to be offensive when you don't like the messages you receive. A cool and calm discussion will get you much further.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7