Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Don't understand some core things about my new RBR850

Hogwarts
Guide

Don't understand some core things about my new RBR850

So i am three days into my new RBR850's and i dont understand some things

1.    I cant get the Traffic meter to show traffic by device.    I dont care about the total and cant figure out how to see it by device

2.    QOS - i am trying to set up QOS for my primary device but there is no user Interface under the QOS tab, what am i missing

3.    I just paid for 3 RBR850's why is it asking me to pay to Bitdefender 

4.    Chat support on IOS requires that you stay in the app , even if there is a 30 minute wait otherwise it drops you out. Plus the      customer service person in chat gave me some URL's yet after the chat the whole thing is gone

5.     I have one device in the garage that is too far away from my ORBI how do i get an addioanl device to support a single device

Interesting device but the above issues are disappointing 

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Don't understand some core things about my new RBR850

@Hogwarts wrote:

1.    I cant get the Traffic meter to show traffic by device.    I dont care about the total and cant figure out how to see it by device

Traffic Meter only supports over all data useage. 

2.    QOS - i am trying to set up QOS for my primary device but there is no user Interface under the QOS tab, what am i missing

Theres only the speedtest app seen under QoS. QoS is mostly automatic on Orbi systems. Nothing to configure.

Something to post about here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor
https://www.netgear.com/landings/armor

4.    Chat support on IOS requires that you stay in the app , even if there is a 30 minute wait otherwise it drops you out. Plus the      customer service person in chat gave me some URL's yet after the chat the whole thing is gone

Try using a PC and web browesr when contacting NG support or Support Chat.

5.     I have one device in the garage that is too far away from my ORBI how do i get an addioanl device to support a single device

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. You can try putting the RBS farther out. Usually 50-60 feet is max distance. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

If not, install another RBS to help with coverage. 

Message 2 of 6
Hogwarts
Guide

Well those are not great answers.     Do they plan on supporting QOS?  Whay have a tab and call it QOS if your not doing QOS.    Any 5 year old router will tell me my total usage, I woudl expect a brand new Wi-Fi 6 router to tell me by device.    My Garage in concrete with a metal door adn more than 30 feet away.  I appreciate  that it theoretically possable to buy another satellite device but i only need it for one Wi-FI device so even if they were available (its not) its a  crazy price.  

@Hogwarts wrote:

Interesting device but the above issues are disappointing 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I agree, I wish they would change the QoS wording. It's a bit misleading. 

I don't think NG will be supporting the more advanced QoS features on Orbi since QoS seems to be automatic in it's handling and runs behind the scenes. Something we don't seen on Orbi AC or AX systems. 

I presume if you need more advanced features then you may need to find a router that supports this, like NGs R, RAX series routers. 

I personally wouldn't connect a garage door to wifi. Most garages have remotes already. You could install a sheep wired AP in the garage which would be one suggestion. 

Good Luck.

Message 4 of 6
Hogwarts
Guide

Its my car that needs the WIFi connection. for software updates 
@FURRYe38 wrote:

I agree, I wish they would change the QoS wording. It's a bit misleading. 

I don't think NG will be supporting the more advanced QoS features on Orbi since QoS seems to be automatic in it's handling and runs behind the scenes. Something we don't seen on Orbi AC or AX systems. 

I presume if you need more advanced features then you may need to find a router that supports this, like NGs R, RAX series routers. 

I personally wouldn't connect a garage door to wifi. Most garages have remotes already. You could install a sheep wired AP in the garage which would be one suggestion. 

Good Luck.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Well, one could put in power line adapters between the RBR and the garage and put in a cheap wireless AP there in the garage as an idea. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7