Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Dropcam issues and separate SSID's for 2.4 and 5.0 GHZ

Yld2rob
Luminary

Dropcam issues and separate SSID's for 2.4 and 5.0 GHZ

I have an issue and also a question. I have over 50 devices, phones, ipads,compters, smarthome hubs and devices(which all stay connect the the network). I also have two Dropcam cameras which can connect to 2.4 or 5.0 Ghz. A couple times a day they disconnect from the network (keep in mind these camers are both getting a very strong wi-fi signal and I had no disconnect issues at all using my previous router). Is there a way or will there be a way to transmit 2 seperate SSID's? One for 2.4 and one for 5.0Ghz?

Message 1 of 6

Re: Dropcam issues and separate SSID's for 2.4 and 5.0 GHZ

@Yld2rob wrote:

I have an issue and also a question. I have over 50 devices, phones, ipads,compters, smarthome hubs and devices(which all stay connect the the network). I also have two Dropcam cameras which can connect to 2.4 or 5.0 Ghz. A couple times a day they disconnect from the network (keep in mind these camers are both getting a very strong wi-fi signal and I had no disconnect issues at all using my previous router). Is there a way or will there be a way to transmit 2 seperate SSID's? One for 2.4 and one for 5.0Ghz?

i would suggest thats not the approach netgear want to go with the orbi as its whole home wifi using smart coonnect and bad and ap steering , if you had separate ssid's those features wouldnt work so well if at all

i believe the is a know issue around the drop cams and a few other devices but first you need to make sure the router and sat are far enough apart from the camera that its only seeing one of the transmission as a strong signal as if the router and sat are overlapping too much this can confuse the camera

think of the radiation pattern of the router and sat as 2 balls , you only want those 2 balls to overlap by about 20 to 30 %

Message 2 of 6
Skrymir
Guide

Yld2rob,

The Dropcam disconnect problem is a known issues. You'll need to disable implicit breamforming in the Orbi config to fix the problem.

-Josh

Message 3 of 6
Yld2rob
Luminary

Thanks. I thought I was going crazy. So Netgear is working on a fix? Beamforming is a feature that some of my other devices use and would like them to take advantage of.

Message 4 of 6
Skrymir
Guide

We think they are working on a fix, but there has been no real confirmation.

Your AC devices will still use beamforming, as they use explicit beamforming. Your non-ac devices will not be able to use it.  I haven't been able to see any performance change on non-ac devices when turning implicit on/off

Message 5 of 6
Yld2rob
Luminary

Tier 2 Netgear support confirmed there is a issue with Nest Dropcam cameras losing connection when "Explicit Beamforming" is enabled. They are working on a solution. I can confirm by disabling that feature, the cameras no longer disconnect.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7