Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Easy way to migrate from Orbi RBK20 to RBK50?

kncd
Aspirant

Easy way to migrate from Orbi RBK20 to RBK50?

I have an Orbi RBK22 that I have used for a while, but wanted to add a satellite to it.  I got a good deal on a RBK53 system, so I have decided to replace the RBK22 with it.  Is there an easy way to move from one to the other (migrating configuration settings, etc.) or do I need to configure the authorized users/devices for RBK53 from scratch?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Easy way to migrate from Orbi RBK20 to RBK50?

I'm a fan of configuring from scratch whenever I change primary routers. 

Tends to have less issues down the line. 

Message 2 of 6
kncd
Aspirant

Thanks.  I was thinking that might be the best, just to make sure there is nothing still in the config that doesn't need to be there any longer.  Since my android app is already associated with the RBK22, is there anything special I need to do to "disassociate" it with the RBK22 and associate it with the RBK53?

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

You can follow the "new system setup" through the app. 

I'm not a huge fan of the app and usually setup via a pc. The install tends to go faster this route. 

Message 4 of 6
kncd
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

You can follow the "new system setup" through the app. 

I'm not a huge fan of the app and usually setup via a pc. The install tends to go faster this route. 

Thanks.  I am with you on that.  More often than not I manage the router through a hardwired PC.  Every so often, I use the android app.  I just was wondering if there would be anything I have to do so that the app would just see the RBK53S and not the the RBK22.

One other question.  Do you have any opinion of Net Armor?  I get a free year of it with the new setup, but I am not sure if it's worth messing with it.  I had heard some complaints in the past, but don't remember why they were complaining.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

I've used armor and tested armor. 

What I'd do? Test the speeds/performance without activating it right away.

then activate it. If its free it doesn't hurt to activate, see how it performs and whether you like it or not. 

I wasn't a huge fan but I've drilled internet security into my significant other. When my kids are older, i'll need a new system but for now its working for me. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7