Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Echo Dot (G3) drops streaming song when browsing internet on phone

wpoconnor
Follower

Echo Dot (G3) drops streaming song when browsing internet on phone

I have one RBR50 and 1 RBS50 hooked up to the AT&T uverse at 300 Mbps - 2Wire 5268AC 2019 model.  Whenever I browse the internet, access email, etc... on my samsung galaxy s9+, songs that I am streaming to my echo dot stop playing.  When I close the apps on my phone, playing the song resumes.

I went looking for QoS settings, and I only saw a speedtest.  I think under the advance wireless settings, you can enabled Dynamic QoS, which is (not on my home network right now so can't verify exact settings.  According to Amazon support, to stream music and other content through Alexa, your Internet connection needs to be at least 512 Kbps (0.51 Mbps).  It would be nice to have the feature to set this in QoS settings.  Any other suggestions?

I am running firmware V2.2.1.210.  My router says my firmware is up to date, but I just found this on the netgear support site - v2.3.0.32

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Might be an easy way to see if it fixed the problem by upgrading the firmware. there was quite a few fixes in the most current update. 

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

I would update the system first, Start by udpating the satellies first, the apply v212 then v32 to the RBR lastly. Factory reset and setup from scratch.

Also regarding your ISP modem:

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Try option #2...

@wpoconnor wrote:

I have one RBR50 and 1 RBS50 hooked up to the AT&T uverse at 300 Mbps - 2Wire 5268AC 2019 model.  Whenever I browse the internet, access email, etc... on my samsung galaxy s9+, songs that I am streaming to my echo dot stop playing.  When I close the apps on my phone, playing the song resumes.

I went looking for QoS settings, and I only saw a speedtest.  I think under the advance wireless settings, you can enabled Dynamic QoS, which is (not on my home network right now so can't verify exact settings.  According to Amazon support, to stream music and other content through Alexa, your Internet connection needs to be at least 512 Kbps (0.51 Mbps).  It would be nice to have the feature to set this in QoS settings.  Any other suggestions?

I am running firmware V2.2.1.210.  My router says my firmware is up to date, but I just found this on the netgear support site - v2.3.0.32

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7