Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Envy 7550 Connection to orbi 5g

madotom
Aspirant

Envy 7550 Connection to orbi 5g

How do I connect to 5g?
Message 1 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Envy 7550 Connection to orbi 5g

normally with a mesh system this question is NOT a concern

tell us more about why you want to connect to 5?....device...setup..??????

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@madotom wrote:
How do I connect to 5g?

Perhaps there is a typo. When I search for "HP Envy 7550" or "Envy 7550", I get no hits.  Is this the exact model number?

Message 3 of 9
madotom
Aspirant

It is 7855
Message 4 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the clarification.  (I wanted to confirm that the printer supports 5G WiFi, and the specs say it does.)

For something like printing, the speed of connection is of little importance.  My guess is that the printer software compared the Orbi 2.4G and 5G WiFi signals and said, "2.4G is fine. I'll use it."

If you are up for an experiment, you can try this:

• Use the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings to temporarily stop broadcasting the Orbi SSID on the 2.4 channel.  This will not cause any devices that are currently connected at 2.4G to be disconnected.
  • Go to the printer setup, have it "Forget" the Orbi SSID (maybe by attempting to select a neighbor's WiFi - which will fail), then select the Orbi SSID again, which should be the 5G channel.
  • After the printer connects, look at "Attached Devices" to see what channel it has connected at.
  • Go back and check "broadcast SSID" on the 2.4G channel.

Message 5 of 9
madotom
Aspirant

Thank you
Message 6 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

I probably should have pointed out that even if this experiment is successful, it may not be practical.  The printer almost certainly stores only the WiFi name (SSID) and password to the WiFi network.  It most likely will not store the actual MAC address of the access point radio. So, if the printer is ever turned off and back on again, it will look at all the available WiFi SSID's and pick the one that it recognizes, which may be at the 2.4G frequency.

Message 7 of 9
madotom
Aspirant

Answer a question for me. My current printer/ scanner has been acting up. The geek squad remotes in and said the problem was that my printer was getting a 5g signal. My device manger on my orbi showed the printer using 2.4 g like you said previously. The problem turned out to be a driver issue. But that bring up a question how do certain device use 2.4 ( printer)and others 5g..will the printer lalways find the 2.4 signal? Dumb question I know but I’m learning
Message 8 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@madotom wrote:
Answer a question for me. My current printer/ scanner has been acting up. The geek squad remotes in and said the problem was that my printer was getting a 5g signal. My device manger on my orbi showed the printer using 2.4 g like you said previously. The problem turned out to be a driver issue. But that bring up a question how do certain device use 2.4 ( printer)and others 5g..will the printer lalways find the 2.4 signal? Dumb question I know but I’m learning

Bless their little hearts.  "Getting a 5G signal."  Well, the specs say it supports 5G.  My guess is that whatever software in the printer led it to select the 2.4G signal over the 5G signal the first time will work the same way every time.  And, for printing "it hardly matters."  2.4G WiFi can provide 100 times the data that a printer can absorb.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7