Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ethernet Connections

Bluffplace
Aspirant

Ethernet Connections

I picked up an RBK23. On my FIOS cablemodem, I have 3 ethernet connections.  I am trying to avoid adding a switch and do not want to put the RBK23 in AP mode.  Can I still use the 3 ports on my cable modem? 

I'm thinking that I could change the dhcp range on the ORBI, put my cablemodem on transparent mode and give my 3 devices a static IP.  Would this work?

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 10
Bluffplace
Aspirant

The cablemodem is a FIOS Quantum Gateway Model FiOS-G1100

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, yes, this has a built in router. 

Try option 2 first. 

Message 4 of 10
ekhalil
Master

@Bluffplace wrote:

......  Can I still use the 3 ports on my cable modem? 

Your ISP router (if bridged) provides you with -usually- one IP address, so you will not be able to use the other ports in the modem if you already use that IP address for Orbi

Message 5 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Maybe this is an appropriate time to ask why you do not want to put the Orbi in AP mode?  Does Orbi have "better" router functions than the FIOS router?  (People seem to complain incessantly about Orbi's shortcomings, and it appears that lots of people prefer to put their Orbi in AP mode.)  Are Orbi's router capabilities enough better that you will eat the cost of an inexpensive gigabit (unmanaged) switch?  (You can get a switch for under $20, and there are LOTS of choices for under $50.)

Page 40 of the FIOS manual describes how to turn off the WiFi radios on it, which means it would not interfere with the Orbi.

https://www.verizon.com/about/sites/default/files/fios-qgr-userguide140925.pdf

I learn something new from every question that people ask on the Forum, so I'd like to understand your situation.

Message 6 of 10

@CrimpOn wrote:

Maybe this is an appropriate time to ask why you do not want to put the Orbi in AP mode? 

Good question, but maybe they read this and saw a feature that they need:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Using the DMZ on the FIOS router, maybe he could use the Orbi in router mode and have the best of both worlds. However there is the AP mode option too. 

Message 8 of 10
ekhalil
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Using the DMZ on the FIOS router, maybe he could use the Orbi in router mode and have the best of both worlds. However there is the AP mode option too. 

DMZ on the FIOS is almost equivalent to bridging/bypassing the ISP router so he will not be able to use the ISP router's functionality with this setting.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes I already know this. Reason why it's mentioned in my initial post. 

@ekhalil wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

DMZ on the FIOS is almost equivalent to bridging/bypassing the ISP router so he will not be able to use the ISP router's functionality with this setting.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7