Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Every 2-3 days I lose 90% of my speed on devices connected to the satellite

Thisjustin02
Aspirant

Every 2-3 days I lose 90% of my speed on devices connected to the satellite

I've had the the RBR50 for a little over a month. Every 2-3 days, I lose 90% of my speed on any device connected to the satellite. Making any change that reboots the network will speed things up again for a couple days, then it slows back down. I've connected a computer to the satellite via ethernet when this issue is happening and I get full speed, so it shouldn't be a communication issue between the satellite and the main. Netgear had me change the 2.4 and 5ghz channels, enable MU-MIMO, and enable Fast Roaming. It's only been a a couple hours, and so far, it kind of works? Now any device connected to the satellite is getting 100 Mbps less than the devices connected to the main, which isn't terrible, but....this doesn't make sense to me. Why would changing ANY setting be the solution if everything works at full speed for 1-2 days at a time? Anyone else seen this/have a solution?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? 

What WPA security modes are you using?

Ensure Beamforming in enabled. 

Try disabling the following and see:
 IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Message 2 of 23
ekhalil
Master

@Thisjustin02 wrote:

I've had the the RBR50 for a little over a month. Every 2-3 days, I lose 90% of my speed on any device connected to the satellite. Making any change that reboots the network will speed things up again for a couple days, then it slows back down. I've connected a computer to the satellite via ethernet when this issue is happening and I get full speed, so it shouldn't be a communication issue between the satellite and the main. Netgear had me change the 2.4 and 5ghz channels, enable MU-MIMO, and enable Fast Roaming. It's only been a a couple hours, and so far, it kind of works? Now any device connected to the satellite is getting 100 Mbps less than the devices connected to the main, which isn't terrible, but....this doesn't make sense to me. Why would changing ANY setting be the solution if everything works at full speed for 1-2 days at a time? Anyone else seen this/have a solution?

What wired devices do you have connected to Orbi? Any mesh speakers (e.g. Sonos)?

Message 3 of 23
Thisjustin02
Aspirant

I'll try to answer everyone's question at once.

My Orbi is connected to an Arris SURFboard SB6183.

The Orbi is running firmware V2.2.1.210.

I'm using 2.4 ch. 6 and 5.0 ch. 44. These were both previously set to auto, but the issue persists.

There are a ton of networks around me; I'm in a condo.

The main and satellite are probably 40 feet apart.

Again, the part that doen't make any sense is that, via ethernet, I can connect to the satellite at full speed...so I don't see how it could be any of the wireless settings. If my devices connect to the main wirelessly, they work fine.

I've made the changes you suggested, so we'll see how it goes...but I don't think it's going to work.

Message 4 of 23

@Thisjustin02 wrote:

That might be a stretch in a noisy wifi environment.

Is the satellite at the far extreme of the property, or somewhere in the middle, between the extremities and the main router? The latter is better.

Message 5 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try setting the power output levels on the Orbi from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Being in a noise or wifi congested environment can cause problems like this. 

You might try turning OFF the Satellite for a short period of time and just test the router alone to see if the problem continues. 

@Thisjustin02 wrote:

I'll try to answer everyone's question at once.

My Orbi is connected to an Arris SURFboard SB6183.

The Orbi is running firmware V2.2.1.210.

I'm using 2.4 ch. 6 and 5.0 ch. 44. These were both previously set to auto, but the issue persists.

There are a ton of networks around me; I'm in a condo.

Again, the part that doen't make any sense is that, via ethernet, I can connect to the satellite at full speed...so I don't see how it could be any of the wireless settings. If my devices connect to the main wirelessly, they work fine.

I've made the changes you suggested, so we'll see how it goes...but I don't think it's going to work.

Message 6 of 23
Thisjustin02
Aspirant

It took ten days, but the issue is back. If I connect via ethernet to the satellite, I get full speed. So...I don't think it an issue with the main communicating with the satellite. Otherwise ethernet wouudn't work at full speed. This seems like a firmware issue or something.

Message 7 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try setting the power output levels on the Orbi from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Being in a noisey or wifi congested environment can cause problems like this. 

@Thisjustin02 wrote:

It took ten days, but the issue is back. If I connect via ethernet to the satellite, I get full speed. So...I don't think it an issue with the main communicating with the satellite. Otherwise ethernet wouudn't work at full speed. This seems like a firmware issue or something.

Message 8 of 23
Thisjustin02
Aspirant

I disconnected my satellite since Netgear said there's a hardware issue and the main started doing the same thing. This is getting really frustrating.

Message 9 of 23
Chuck_M
Mentor

Can you characterize the environement which you live?  Is it a dense electromagnetic environment?  (Lots of people, lots of WIFI SSIDs, near an airport?  Near something that would produce a lot of radio frequency power?)

Message 10 of 23
ekhalil
Master

Message 11 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try setting the power output levels on the Orbi from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Being in a noisey or wifi congested environment as you already mentioned, can cause problems like this. 

@Thisjustin02 wrote:

I disconnected my satellite since Netgear said there's a hardware issue and the main started doing the same thing. This is getting really frustrating.

Message 12 of 23
Thisjustin02
Aspirant

I rebooted the main and it’s back to normal, for now. I’m grateful for the advice, but can you explain it a little? Like what does the transmit power have to do with losing 90% of my speed? And if a setting is an issue, why would power cycling fix it?
Message 13 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Since you said you had tons of wifi neighbors around, Being in a noisey or wifi congested environment as you already mentioned, can cause problems like this. After a reboot, the system works for a while, however due to the noisy environment, the system operation degrades. To help isolate your wifi from others, lowering the power output of the wifi radios can help in reducing the overall foot print of the wifi broadcast and make the foot print smaller. This does not redude speeds. It reduces wifi covrage and range. 

@Thisjustin02 wrote:
I rebooted the main and it’s back to normal, for now. I’m grateful for the advice, but can you explain it a little? Like what does the transmit power have to do with losing 90% of my speed? And if a setting is an issue, why would power cycling fix it?

Message 14 of 23
Thisjustin02
Aspirant

I cut transmit power to 50% and so far so good. I lost about 50mbps, but haven’t seen any major drops yet. I’m not sure I love that I have to worry about any kind of degradation on a system I just bought two months ago, but we’ll see.
Message 15 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Wifi congestion can be problematic if you live near many others with Wifi signals. Reason why you can lower the power. If it's working at 50%, try 75% to see if you notice any drops. 

@Thisjustin02 wrote:
I cut transmit power to 50% and so far so good. I lost about 50mbps, but haven’t seen any major drops yet. I’m not sure I love that I have to worry about any kind of degradation on a system I just bought two months ago, but we’ll see.

Message 16 of 23
Thisjustin02
Aspirant

I’m at 50% power now and the issue is still happening. I think I’m done. My hardware warranty isn’t up, but I’m not paying for support. I’m just going to buy a different product. It’s been nothing but trouble since I bought it.
Message 17 of 23
xQuestx3
Tutor

I get the same exact issue. I can go days at full speed wifi then all of a sudden it drops to under 10Mbps. I have the RBR40 with v2.3.0.28. I seems like a memory leak of some sort. once I reset the router it's back to normal for awhile. is the nvram overloaded? I've tried turing off and on daisy-chain beamforming mu-mmo and fast roaming always does it.

Message 18 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed this the update? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@xQuestx3 wrote:

I get the same exact issue. I can go days at full speed wifi then all of a sudden it drops to under 10Mbps. I have the RBR40 with v2.3.0.28. I seems like a memory leak of some sort. once I reset the router it's back to normal for awhile. is the nvram overloaded? I've tried turing off and on daisy-chain beamforming mu-mmo and fast roaming always does it.

Message 19 of 23
xQuestx3
Tutor

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?  1100 sq feet

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? Around 30 feet, says good connection on the satellite.

What channels are you using? I’ve tried auto, 1-11

Any Wifi Neighbors nearby? I’d say around 6-8 wifi around me.

What WPA security modes are you using? WPA2-PSK

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. I’ve tried on and off, and factory reset.

I’ve used other routers and custom firmware etc , and never experienced anything like this. I think it’s a memory issue in the router. I also see other people having the same problem. Why would ethernet get full speed?

Message 20 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible wifi interferences from neighboring wifi could be an issue. 

Try this, turn OFF the satellite. Just run the RBR alone for a few days. 

Set the power output of the RBR from 100% to 75% or 50% if you feel like it. Test this configuration for a few days. Test speeds wired and wireless right after making changes, then speed test in a couple of days. 

Might try a manual FW re-load of the system, reset and setup from scratch as a last resort. 

What device do you have connected to the Orbi system? 

@xQuestx3 wrote:

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? Around 30 feet, says good connection on the satellite.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. I’ve tried on and off, and factory reset.

I’ve used other routers and custom firmware etc , and never experienced anything like this. I think it’s a memory issue in the router. I also see other people having the same problem. Why would ethernet get full speed?

Message 21 of 23
Thisjustin02
Aspirant

I tend to agree, there has to be an underlying issue of some kind. I know WiFi inference can cause all kinds of crazy issues, but it doesn’t make sense that things connected to the satellite get full speed on Ethernet. The Orbi main doesn’t change channels when you restart it, so It doesn’t make sense that that temporarily resolves the issue either. I guess I can try replacing the main; I’ve already replaced the satellite and that didn’t help.
Message 22 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how its going. 

@xQuestx3 wrote:

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7