Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Excessive static definitions on RBK-53

varase
Guide

Excessive static definitions on RBK-53

Anyone notice that if you add too many static entries, DHCP seems to stop working?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
martyfp
Luminary

Re: Excessive static definitions on RBK-53

how many is "too many" ?  I have something like 20 static IPs. I tend to apply a static IP to anything that never leaves the network, including the Satellite.

DHCP works fine for me.

Message 2 of 5
varase
Guide

I put in about 14 or 15 and our iPhones stopped connecting - removed all the unnecessary ones and the iPhones came back.

Spooky.

Message 3 of 5
martyfp
Luminary

You could try getting the iphones to "forget" the network and then rejoin.  That might kick them into life.

Message 4 of 5
varase
Guide

Well, it seems like our iPhones start losing connectivity when I have more than eight static (I guess since I'm assigning addresses by MAC address that should be fixed-addresses) defintions.

I've got a 192.168.1.2-99 dynamic range, and place the fixed addresses at >=100. Is that how NetGear's DHCP is supposed to work?

(I administer our enterprise's ISC DHCP and for that, host entries should be placed outside the dyanamic range to prevent collisions from powered-up fixed address clients).

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7