Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Existing Orbi RBR50 and RBS50 - ADDING RBS40V 200 as SATELITE

IAndy
Aspirant

Existing Orbi RBR50 and RBS50 - ADDING RBS40V 200 as SATELITE

Hi there,

I have an existing mesh network of an RBR50 router and 1 (one) RBS50 satelite.  Had this for a year or so.

I'm wanting to expand this now and get an additional satelite for my guest room upstairs.  Preferably one with at least 2 Ethernet connections on the back.  It will be a satelite though and not another router.  I don't want to change my existing kit.

1). Is there a restriction on what version number of Orbi satelite I can add? (I know PRO and AX won't work).

E.g.: do I HAVE to get another RBS50?  Or will another one do?

I want it to be AT LEAST the same specification and able to provide the same wireless back haul and WiFi technology as the RBR50 and RBS50.

2). Can I get the Netgear Orbi RBS40V (the smart speaker Alexa device) and use that as a compatible satelite?  If so, is it the same technology, speed etc as my existing set up? (The numbers imply its less as its 40 not 50???)

Many thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Existing Orbi RBR50 and RBS50 - ADDING RBS40V 200 as SATELITE

RBS20, RBW30, RBS40v will work. 

The only item that differs is the wireless back haul on the 20, 30 and 40 series is 866Mbps vs 1733mbps on the RBS50. 

Message 2 of 8
IAndy
Aspirant

Many thanks. That makes sense.

Next question then, if I go for the 40 with a slower backhaul, will my existing backhaul drop to that speed too by default or will it maintain as close to its maximum it can? (I.e: does it always drop to the lowest common denominator?)
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Only th RBS40 will have the lower backhaul. 

Message 4 of 8
Ketan
Aspirant

Hello,
I have similar setup as yours. Along with RBR50 and RBS50 I also have Orbi RBR12 mesh router and satellite. I have tried connecting the satellite of RBR12 with RBR5but it failed to recognise the primary router RBR50. I had opened case with Netgear in this regards amd it was confirmed by them that different ORBI MESH Systems do not have interoperability between them. So to answer your question if you want your existing Wi-Fi network to get extended in the existing Mesh network you will need to buy RBS50 satellite.
In my case since I had RBR12 mesh system already with me, I connected the Router of RBR12 in router mode with RBR50 Router via wired LAN connection (From Ethernet of RBR50 to WAN/Internet Port of RBR12) and assigned manual IP address to the interface. With this O got internet connectivity to my RBR12 router to which I further connected it's satellite box.
The major disadvantage of this setup is - we don't get MESH System and there will be different SSID for the other RBR12 Router.
Hope you now have the clarity to your question.

Ketan
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

From what I understand from other users of the 1 series Orbi, the 1 series won't connect to other Orbi systems. Only 1 series Orbi. 

The 50 series accepts all other 20, 30 and 40 series RBS. 

@Ketan wrote:
Hello,
I have similar setup as yours. Along with RBR50 and RBS50 I also have Orbi RBR12 mesh router and satellite. I have tried connecting the satellite of RBR12 with RBR5but it failed to recognise the primary router RBR50. I had opened case with Netgear in this regards amd it was confirmed by them that different ORBI MESH Systems do not have interoperability between them. So to answer your question if you want your existing Wi-Fi network to get extended in the existing Mesh network you will need to buy RBS50 satellite.
In my case since I had RBR12 mesh system already with me, I connected the Router of RBR12 in router mode with RBR50 Router via wired LAN connection (From Ethernet of RBR50 to WAN/Internet Port of RBR12) and assigned manual IP address to the interface. With this O got internet connectivity to my RBR12 router to which I further connected it's satellite box.
The major disadvantage of this setup is - we don't get MESH System and there will be different SSID for the other RBR12 Router.

Ketan

Message 6 of 8
IAndy
Aspirant

f I go for the 40 with a slower backhaul, will my existing backhaul drop to that speed too by default or will it maintain as close to its maximum it can? (I.e: does it always drop to the lowest common denominator?)

@FURRYe38 wrote:

From what I understand from other users of the 1 series Orbi, the 1 series won't connect to other Orbi systems. Only 1 series Orbi. 

The 50 series accepts all other 20, 30 and 40 series RBS. 

@Ketan wrote:
Hello,

Ketan

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Only the back haul of the RBS40 will work at the lower speed. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7