Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Expanding Orbi RBK752 with another RBK752

KaketheFinn
Follower

Expanding Orbi RBK752 with another RBK752

Hi folks

I've got this problem. Have RBK752 mesh (router and one satellite). Now I need to expand my wifi network. I do know that buying single satellites is the easiest solution. Also the most expensive. Most likely I need two more satellites. So, what if I buy another set of RBK752. Can I use new router as an satellite? I know that someone has already asked the same question. He/she got an "nope" answer. But I have wired home network in addition. And I could connect this new "router"(RBR752) to my existing system via cable(cat6). If I do so, will this new RBR752 work as an satellite in my current wifi ? 
Single satellite will cost me about 290€, and RBK 752 set (router and satellite) about 380€. 
Brgds
Kake

Message 1 of 5
vajim
Master

Re: Expanding Orbi RBK752 with another RBK752

routers can not act as sats

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@KaketheFinn wrote:

But I have wired home network in addition. And I could connect this new "router"(RBR752) to my existing system via cable(cat6). If I do so, will this new RBR752 work as an satellite in my current wifi ? 

The answer remains the same.  No Orbi router can function as a satellite, and no Orbi router can be connected to another system over WiFi.

The ethernet wiring addresses the "No connection over WiFi" issue.

The RBR750 router can be configured as an Access Point (AP), which allows the primary Orbi router to handle all "router functions."  The main issue is that devices will not "roam" between the primary Orbi network and this access point.  If the goal is to connect WiFi devices that never move (security cameras, printers, smart plugs, televisions, etc. etc.), then this is not a problem.  The experience with mobile devices (phones, tablets, laptops) will be miserable.  When they roam from strong coverage in one part of the house into the area where this Orbi has strong coverage, they will not automatically switch networks.  (And the same in reverse.)  The user will have to notice, "oh, darn, my WiFi signal is really poor.  I need to disconnect from WiFi and reconnect."  Will take only a few seconds, but it will never be automatic.  No starting a Facetime meeting on a tablet and then walking around the house.

One of the most frustrating design decisions of the Orbi product.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

@KaketheFinn wrote:

Hi folks

I've got this problem. Have RBK752 mesh (router and one satellite). Now I need to expand my wifi network. I do know that buying single satellites is the easiest solution. Also the most expensive. Most likely I need two more satellites. So, what if I buy another set of RBK752. Can I use new router as an satellite? I know that someone has already asked the same question. He/she got an "nope" answer. But I have wired home network in addition. And I could connect this new "router"(RBR752) to my existing system via cable(cat6). If I do so, will this new RBR752 work as an satellite in my current wifi ? 
Single satellite will cost me about 290€, and RBK 752 set (router and satellite) about 380€. 
Brgds
Kake

Message 4 of 5
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

@KaketheFinn wrote:

Hi folks

Brgds
Kake

those of us ...??

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7