Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Explicit MAC Filtering

stevefxp
Apprentice

Explicit MAC Filtering

Hello all,

Is there a way to explicitly exclude a MAC from connecting to my Orbi Wifi? I do not see a way to enter a MAC, so that it would be excluded.

Thanks,

Steve

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Explicit MAC Filtering

@stevefxp wrote:

Is there a way to explicitly exclude a MAC from connecting to my Orbi Wifi? I do not see a way to enter a MAC, so that it would be excluded.

I think this is the intended purpose of Access Control.  Under the "Advanced" tab, select Security, then Access Control.  At the bottom of the screen is where devices which may NOT connect are entered by MAC address.

(Caveat) My understanding is that Access Control was reported not to work correctly in previous firmware versions.  I have never tried it (before today).  I am not charging an old smartphone, have entered the MAC address into the table, and will "see what happens" once it gets charged.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Check under parental controls for blocking?

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@stevefxp wrote:

I think this is the intended purpose of Access Control.  Under the "Advanced" tab, select Security, then Access Control.  At the bottom of the screen is where devices which may NOT connect are entered by MAC address.

(Caveat) My understanding is that Access Control was reported not to work correctly in previous firmware versions.  I have never tried it (before today).  I am not charging an old smartphone, have entered the MAC address into the table, and will "see what happens" once it gets charged.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

I think the answer is "yes".  My old smartphone "connected" to my Orbi, but also said, "no internet."  Nada.  I even tried connecting through an AP in the garage which has a different SSID.  No Joy.

I have no idea if Access Control "works right" in all areas.  It appears to be able to block specific MAC addresses.  (I'm going to turn it back off now.)

Message 4 of 5
stevefxp
Apprentice

I did not see the two sections at the bottom. Thanks for that!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7