Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extend Orbi network to metal building 50 meters away

Rexvaughn
Follower

Extend Orbi network to metal building 50 meters away

I have a Orbi RBR50 router with 2 Orbi satellites located in my home.   I would like to extend my network to a metal building located 50 meters from my home.   The building is across a road so no easy way to run cable.   Can I install RBS50Y outdoor Orbi satellite on the metal building to accomplish this?   Is there another product/solution I should consider?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Extend Orbi network to metal building 50 meters away

@Rexvaughn wrote:

I have a Orbi RBR50 router with 2 Orbi satellites located in my home.   I would like to extend my network to a metal building located 50 meters from my home.   The building is across a road so no easy way to run cable.   Can I install RBS50Y outdoor Orbi satellite on the metal building to accomplish this?   Is there another product/solution I should consider?

This is unlikely to work.  Orbi units have omnidirectional antennas. What you need is a "WiFi Bridge" which consists of two units that appear to be an ethernet cable.  Amazon lists many such products and there have been posts describing success using several of them. Prices range from $50/pair to (a lot of $$$). Ubiquity has been mentioned a number of times.  Most of the products include user reviews describing exactly this situation.

WiFi will have a hard time penetrating a metal building (but windows are relatively easy. Ubituity even sells a mount for glass).  Since these units are rated in terms of kilometers, getting through the house exterior wall should be easy, making the metal building the only "penetration" required (if there is not a window facing the house).  At the far end, any WiFi router can be connected to the bridge. Attaching an Orbi satellite would extend the "seamless mesh", but the distance is so far that any device that roams between the two locations will drop from one before acuiring the other.

I recommend two steps:

1. Do an internet search for "wireless bridge setup" or review.  Watch a couple.
  2. Search Amazon for "wireless bridge" and read some reviews.

Good Luck.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7