Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extending Orbi

Jagmonkey
Follower

Extending Orbi

Can I use either my nighthawk AC5300 or AC2200 as satellites to extend Orbi?  If so then how?  I would rather use something I already have rather than shelling out another $250 on a satellite.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
loomis1975
Luminary

Re: Extending Orbi

No, you can't use any Netgear routers as a satellite on the Orbi system.  It uses a dedicated backhaul signal between Orbi Router and Orbi Satellites only currently (firmware may add Mesh functionality in the future with hops between Satellites back to the router).  I believe this backhaul signal is even setup differently than is normally used, so that further adds to why you can't use other Routers to simulate a satellite.

View solution in original post

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 2 of 4

All Replies
loomis1975
Luminary

No, you can't use any Netgear routers as a satellite on the Orbi system.  It uses a dedicated backhaul signal between Orbi Router and Orbi Satellites only currently (firmware may add Mesh functionality in the future with hops between Satellites back to the router).  I believe this backhaul signal is even setup differently than is normally used, so that further adds to why you can't use other Routers to simulate a satellite.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 2 of 4

@Jagmonkey wrote:

Can I use either my nighthawk AC5300 or AC2200 as satellites to extend Orbi?  If so then how?  I would rather use something I already have rather than shelling out another $250 on a satellite.

the simple answer is no as the way the sat works is different

you can however use the 5300 as a media bridge connected back to the orbi router or sat depending where it is in relation to ether of the above

the ac2200 might just be a different kettle of fish

you could try pushing the wps button on the orbi router and the wps button on the ac2200 and see what happens as you never know 🙂

Message 3 of 4

@loomis1975 wrote:

I believe this backhaul signal is even setup differently than is normally used, so that further adds to why you can't use other Routers to simulate a satellite.

no smoke and mirrors stuff here as i believe they just use a different wps password , the syncing of the sat's is just based on wps and the channel runs in the middle or high 5 gig bandwidth

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7