Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extending coverage

Lethal57
Guide

Extending coverage

Hi, I have placed my R6400V2 next to the ISP supplied modem/router, which wont cover more than 5 metres (poor tech choice by isp).

They seem to work ok together  (bandwidth/frequency wise).

Wondering if the Netgear ac2200 (rbk30) would work with the R6400V2

Looking forward to further advises

Lethal

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17
plemans
Guru

Re: Extending coverage

@Lethal57 wrote:

Hi, I have placed my R6400V2 next to the ISP supplied modem/router, which wont cover more than 5 metres (poor tech choice by isp).

They seem to work ok together  (bandwidth/frequency wise).

Wondering if the Netgear ac2200 (rbk30) would work with the R6400V2

Lethal

So what you're trying to do is this?

ISP modem-->R6400v2-->RBK30

What I'd try to do is go:

ISP modem/router--->RBK30  

See how that works.  the RBK30 should cover around 3500 square ft if setup properly. How much area are you trying to cover? If it doesn't cover enough, you can add the r6400v2 back in. In my opinion, simpler is better as it reduces conflict or chances of failure.

If you get the Orbi set, I'd shut off the wireless on the isp supplied device unless you really need it.   

Message 2 of 17

@Lethal57 wrote:

If you have the R6400V2 sitting next to a modem/router that also delivers wifi, then you shouldn't need the wifi from the modem.router. Best turn it off.

If the R6400V2 doesn't cover five metres, then something is wrong.

You should not need anything else to go that far.

If you don't own the RBK30 already, before spending money on more equipment, I'd put a bit of effort into setting up what I already own.

It might help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

That it the ISP's box supplies wifi suggests that it is a modem/router. Two routers on your network can cause headaches. This might screw up your existing wifi sources.

Message 3 of 17
plemans
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Lethal57 wrote:

If you have the R6400V2 sitting next to a modem/router that also delivers wifi, then you shouldn't need the wifi from the modem.router. Best turn it off.

If the R6400V2 doesn't cover five metres, then something is wrong.

I think the OP is stating that the ISP's equipment won't cover more than 5 meters, not the R6400v2. I could be wrong though. 

Message 4 of 17

@plemans wrote:

I think the OP is stating that the ISP's equipment won't cover more than 5 meters, not the R6400v2. I could be wrong though. 

Who knows?

But plugging the R6400v2 into a modem/router means that they probably have two wifi sources sitting next to each other. Not a good idea.

Message 5 of 17
plemans
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@plemans wrote:

Who knows?

But plugging the R6400v2 into a modem/router means that they probably have two wifi sources sitting next to each other. Not a good idea.

Agree 100% with that. Never good to have 2 devices broadcasting if you can help it. its why i wouldn't add the orbi into the mix without shutting off wifi on the ISP supplied device and not hooking up the R6400v2 unless needed. Thanks for helping clarify for the OP 

Message 6 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 7 of 17
Lethal57
Guide

Hi 

Thanks muchly for your contribution/response. Indeed thank you all for your responses!

Just how would you "If you don't own the RBK30 already, before spending money on more equipment, I'd put a bit of effort into setting up what I already own.'???

The ISP Modem is a Sagemcom AC WiFi modem. If this helps...

I have had issues with it previously whilst a cable customer of the same isp, their NBN model is worse!

Secondly, the r6400v2 does not unfortuntely support VOIP...hence the need for the isp modem (which does).

Looking forward to your response

Message 8 of 17

@Lethal57 wrote:

Just how would you "If you don't own the RBK30 already, before spending money on more equipment, I'd put a bit of effort into setting up what I already own.'???

I don't understand. What's the question?

Like I said if you don't own the RBK30, spend some time setting up the R6400V2.

The ISP Modem is a Sagemcom AC WiFi modem. If this helps...

That is not much help. Sagemcom is a brand name. What is the model?

If it does wifi, then it is probably also a router. Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

Iy may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the R6400V2 as the router. But sometimes it is just easier to put the R6400V2 into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unfortunately, it still isn't clear to me what your problem is and what you are trying to do.

Message 9 of 17
Lethal57
Guide

Hi   michaelkenward , Apologies, I may have confused when trying to answer questions both from yourself and others.

I like the idea of a RBK30 next to the isp modem (which would still be powered to service the voip).

As far as putting the r6400v2 as the router...it current coverage is not quite there (though as you stated, this could be due to having TWO routers).

You stated about applying a bit more effort before buying a rbk30....how would you do this...I have already moved and reconfigured many associated items (like a power line adapter, foxtel service)...and as mentioned I currently need the sagemcom (  'gateway 3864 v3 AC   ) for VOIP.

My aim is to extend the coverage of the current 'config'...the NBN (in australia) is a mandated (by govt) connection...that has congestion and regular drop outs...(hope this clarifies my issue and intention).

FYI I have a single storey, four bedroom house on a 540 Sq.Meter block

Message 10 of 17

You stated about applying a bit more effort before buying a rbk30....how would you do this...I have already moved and reconfigured many associated items (like a power line adapter, foxtel service)...and as mentioned I currently need the sagemcom (  'gateway 3864 v3 AC   ) for VOIP.

If the sagemcom is this thing:

Sagemcom Gateway F@ST 3864 - Optus

it looks like a modem/router, with all those LAN ports on the back.

If you put that together with the R6400V2 that is a recipe for trouble This could explain why you have problems with your wifi.

You have two routers trying to manage your wifi connections.

You say "current coverage is not quite there". Unfortunately, this does not tell us much. Are there areas with no wifi? Does the connection keep dying?

Given that you want to use the Sagemcom as a "gateway", then you might find it easiest to turn off the wifi on the Sagemcom and then to put the R6400V2 into AP mode. That would leave the Sagemcom managing the network connections but not confusing wifi clients.

It seems that you cannot put the Sagemcom in to modem only mode.

Bridging a SageMCom F@st 3864 Modem-Router on NBN - Yes Crowd

This is another reason for thinking that AP mode is the best option.

If this still does not solve your wifi problems, then an Orbi system would work, but there too you will have to put it into AP mode. There would also be little point in using the R6400V2  alongside an Orbi system.

Message 11 of 17
Lethal57
Guide

Thanks  michaelkenward ...that DOES make a bit of sense (espec to THIS lay-person).

1 - The sagemcom shown in your link is close to what Optus have provided.

2- I had to place the r6400v2 near the sagecom (front of the house) to get coverage to my main pc (middle of the house)...as the sagemcom only has about 5 meters in wifi coverage....this is what I meant by 'not quite there'.

3- Without the r6400v2 I would have no wifi to the middle or back part of the house.

I will certainly try your suggestion about R6400v2 in AP Mode, and turn of the wifi in the sagemcom.

If later I had to invest in the Orbi...I may use the r6400v2 as an extender/AP ...as I am not confident of getting whole of house coverage (as mentioned earlier the orbi has a 3500 sqm maximum.

I assume I can get info on how to turn the r6400v2 in AP mode on the site....

regards

Message 12 of 17

@Lethal57 wrote:

I assume I can get info on how to turn the r6400v2 in AP mode on the site....

There is support for the R6400v2, including documentation and firmware, here:

>>>> R6400v2 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

See the section Use the Router as a Wireless Access Point.

Message 13 of 17
Lethal57
Guide

Hi  michaelkenward,

I was able to successfully change the netgear r6400v2 to AP mode. However my wifi tongle did not and could not detect the router when the wps button was used (whilst being 3 feet away).

This is crucial as it is the only source of wifi for my main PC.

I could connect the dongle when ap mode was checked.

Further, it turns out that the sagemcom modem/router had wifi turned off in it settings anyhow, despite the external wifi light being lit!!

Long communication with optus and i am going to get a THIRD one of these modems (as the external button should turn it on and off, yet only resets it)...that's if it was enabled in settings!

Confusing a little...YES

I am still negitiating with optus for a AVM FRITZ!Box AVM7490.

looking forward to your advises

Message 14 of 17
Lethal57
Guide

Hi,

After configuring as advised...and not being successful.

I then noted no response for a time...and in looking for a better NBN Modem, was advised stongly to purchase either:

- NG PLW1000 or

- a Billion BiPAC 8900X....(a nbn modem that requires some initial config, but works better than most).

I have purchased a NG PLW1000...see how we go

regards

Lethal

Message 15 of 17

@Lethal57 wrote:

- NGPLW1000

If that means Netgear PLW1000, that is not a modem, or even a router.

It is "Powerline Ethernet" that runs over the mains circuit with a wifi access point at the "remote" end.

Powerline Networking | Powerline Ethernet | NETGEAR

Message 16 of 17
Lethal57
Guide

Hi  michaelkenward,

Nice to hear from you.

I am aware what this PLW1000 is.

It will at least give me some descent wifi coverage from the mid point of the house.....not from the front (which is unfortunely the locale for both the nbn modem & the r6400v2). The Netgear ac2200 (rbk30) has dropped right off the radar.

The PLW100 will be plugged into the r6400v2.

When I did hear back from yourself after reading the results of my post of 10/4 11.07pm...I had a discussion about nbn Modems with a Tech/computer company (online sales)...who suggested the PLW1000 or the billion...over the AVM Fritz!box.

regards

Lethal

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7