Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extending to garden office

py3083
Follower

Extending to garden office

Hello everyone - wonder if someone can help me out please?

I've just had an office put in the bottom of my garden and need reliable internet (obvs!)

Currently I have an RBR20 router at the front of the house, with 1 satellite near the back door, and another satellite upstairs.

I'm thinking of running an ethernet cable from the satellite at the back door, down the garden and in to the office.  I would then get another satellite to attach to the other end of that cable and therefore giving me my WIFI in the office too.  (I think it's too far in distance to just put another satellite in the office with no ethernet cable).  Maybe also worth noting that there is no possibility of putting a wired connection from the router to the satellite at the back door.

Does anyone know if this set up would work please?

Very grateful for any help.

Thanks

Phil.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Extending to garden office

@py3083 wrote:

Does anyone know if this set up would work please?

"It depends".  The maximum ethernet distance is 90 meters (approximately 300ft.).  If the garden shed is within this distance (in cable feet, not line of sight), then this is indeed the best solution - by far.

Orbi allows a combination of backhaul links (WiFi and ethernet).  As you have surmised, the optimal solution is to bypass that back door satellite and go directly to the router. #2 would be ethernet for both backhaul links.  But WiFi plus ethernet will work.

You might consider placing the ethernet cable in PVC conduit in case you need to replace it some time in the future. And, the cable termination on both ends is critical.

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 3 of 6
Satchell
Aspirant

I have the same garden office situation. I have nighthawk mesh 6 in the house and a cat 6 cable installed to the garden office. Do i just get another mesh 6 satellite and plug it in at the garden office?
Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Satchell wrote:
I have the same garden office situation. I have nighthawk mesh 6 in the house and a cat 6 cable installed to the garden office. Do i just get another mesh 6 satellite and plug it in at the garden office?

That specific question will get a more informed response if posted in the Netgear community forum for the Nighthawk mesh 6 products.

Maybe post here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-mesh-system 

The User Manual may have instructions on how satellites can connect on the Nighthawk mesh.

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

It seems the answer is "Yes".

From the Nighthawk mesh 6 product data sheet,the middle column of page 6: (also attached):

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/networking/nighthawkmesh/mk63S.pdf

The mesh 6 router has only one ethernet port on the LAN side, so a switch will be required if more than one ethernet device (including satellites) needs a connection.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7