Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Fast Roaming on Orbi RBK50 AC3000

cw71
Tutor

Fast Roaming on Orbi RBK50 AC3000

I am using RBK50 AC3000 with two satellites below and added one ubiquiti unifi ac lr ap to the wifi network.

RBR50 router and RBS50 satellite running Firmware Version V2.7.2.104

RBS20 satellite running Firmware Version V2.5.1.16

Does Fast Roaming really help with connecting to ap and satellites with the RBK50?

WiFi Fast Roaming, Simplified - [https://www.networkcomputing.com/wireless-infrastructure/wifi-fast-roaming-simplified](https://www.n...)

Thank you.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Fast Roaming on Orbi RBK50 AC3000

@cw71 wrote:
I am using RBK50 AC3000 with two satellites below and added one ubiquiti unifi ac lr ap to the wifi network.
Does Fast Roaming really help with connecting to ap and satellites with the RBK50?

I have Fast Roaming turned on and it certainly does not appear to have caused any problems.

It is not clear (to me) that the combination of Orbi and Ubiquiti will take advantage of 802..11r.

I have always believed that devices which attach to a "separate WiFi access point", even if it has SSID/password identical to the Orbi, will NOT roam between the two systems.  Would be fascinated to learn if devices "roam" with your setup.

Message 2 of 4
cw71
Tutor

@CrimpOn wrote:

@cw71 wrote:

I have Fast Roaming turned on and it certainly does not appear to have caused any problems.

It is not clear (to me) that the combination of Orbi and Ubiquiti will take advantage of 802..11r.

I have always believed that devices which attach to a "separate WiFi access point", even if it has SSID/password identical to the Orbi, will NOT roam between the two systems.  Would be fascinated to learn if devices "roam" with your setup.

Thank you for the information.

What is your orbi router firmware version?

Are you using any ap with your orbi?

How many satellites are you using?

I guess will need to enable Fast Roaming to see the results.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@cw71 wrote:

Thank you for the information.

What is your orbi router firmware version?

Are you using any ap with your orbi?

How many satellites are you using?

I guess will need to enable Fast Roaming to see the results.

Right now, I am on 2.7.2.104.

Two satellites (RBS50 and RBS40V).

I am sort of cranky this evening because I have devices that are working perfectly but do not show in the Attached Devices display.

(I believe they all showed up on firmware 2.5.1.16)  Part of me says,"screw it. they're working. let it be. go read a book." My inner Nerd is going to pick at this until either I solve it or get fed up and go back to 2.5.1.16.

p.s. I HATE the damn Orbi "app".

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7