Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware 2.5.18 Slows Down

Haj
Aspirant
Aspirant

Firmware 2.5.18 Slows Down

I updated the firmware to 2.5.1.8 on both the RBR50 and RBS50.  The device map and naming functionality is nice.  However, after 24 hours or so, the system slows down to about 40 Mbps on all wireless devices (iOS, Mac and Win10 all tested).  I have a gigabit connection with Verizon and the wired devices are not impacted by this reproducible slow down. A reboot or the RBR50 restores full speed on the wirless devices for another 24 hours or so, at which point the speed throttles back to 40Mbps.  

I fell back to 2.3.5.30 and full wireless speeds are maintained.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Above suggestions working:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed after applying the v2.5.1..8 FW update?

Message 2 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Above suggestions working:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed after applying the v2.5.1..8 FW update?

Why are my posts being removed?  It was a valid question.

Message 3 of 12
SeaMonkey80
Apprentice

@Haj wrote:

I updated the firmware to 2.5.1.8 on both the RBR50 and RBS50.  The device map and naming functionality is nice.  However, after 24 hours or so, the system slows down to about 40 Mbps on all wireless devices (iOS, Mac and Win10 all tested).  I have a gigabit connection with Verizon and the wired devices are not impacted by this reproducible slow down. A reboot or the RBR50 restores full speed on the wirless devices for another 24 hours or so, at which point the speed throttles back to 40Mbps.  

I have experienced the same issue on 2.5.1.8.  My system is setup with Ethernet Backhaul (AP Mode), and I am on Xfinity Gigabit.  After a few days, the wireless speeds will drop (download drops from ~600 Mbps to ~150 Mbps; upload drops from ~40 Mbps to ~10 Mbps.  Factory reset does nothing to remedy this situation, no settings have been changed (or need to be changed), and the wired clients do not see this same type of drop.

It is frustrating having to reboot the system to get these speeds back.  Also, I was having this same issue on 2.3.5.30...although it would last longer before the speeds would drop.  There is clearly a glitch in the firmware as my system has been rock solid before either of these two updates.  Hopefully, NG gets their act together and fixes the problem.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

What devices are you using to wireless speed test? 

Are wired speed with a LAN cable connected PC still good? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@SeaMonkey80 wrote:

@Haj wrote:

I have experienced the same issue on 2.5.1.8.  My system is setup with Ethernet Backhaul (AP Mode), and I am on Xfinity Gigabit.  After a few days, the wireless speeds will drop (download drops from ~600 Mbps to ~150 Mbps; upload drops from ~40 Mbps to ~10 Mbps.  Factory reset does nothing to remedy this situation, no settings have been changed (or need to be changed), and the wired clients do not see this same type of drop.

It is frustrating having to reboot the system to get these speeds back.  Also, I was having this same issue on 2.3.5.30...although it would last longer before the speeds would drop.  There is clearly a glitch in the firmware as my system has been rock solid before either of these two updates.  Hopefully, NG gets their act together and fixes the problem.

Message 5 of 12
SeaMonkey80
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What devices are you using to wireless speed test? 

Are wired speed with a LAN cable connected PC still good? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

@SeaMonkey80 wrote:

@Haj wrote:

Posting the same questions without reading my comment serves no purpose.  I have been an Orbi user for a long time, and can troubleshoot with the best of them.  There is an issue with the firmware. Plain and simple.

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Then please file a support ticket and let NG know what your having problems with as theres nothing we can do here in the forums in regards to FW fixes. 

If your Orbi is out of warrenty, you can give Voxels Orbi FW a try:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-1-1...

Good Luck. 

Message 7 of 12
ChrisEchWH
Aspirant

HI,

I've been struggling with exacytly the same behavior.

RBR50 Orbi with 1 satellite.

Various devices throughout the house, including my 2017 MacBookPro, used daily.

In recent months, it's getting throttled down to 40Mbps, while my iPhone Xs in my hand literally next to the MacBook Pro shows full speeds (>300Mbps). 

I reboot router, then MBP gets full speed back, but within a dauy ror two, it's again throttled back down to 40Mbps.

RBR50 firmware is v2.3.5.30.

Is there a fix?? 

TIA,

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Can try updating FW as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

@ChrisEchWH wrote:

HI,

I've been struggling with exacytly the same behavior.

RBR50 Orbi with 1 satellite.

Various devices throughout the house, including my 2017 MacBookPro, used daily.

In recent months, it's getting throttled down to 40Mbps, while my iPhone Xs in my hand literally next to the MacBook Pro shows full speeds (>300Mbps). 

I reboot router, then MBP gets full speed back, but within a dauy ror two, it's again throttled back down to 40Mbps.

RBR50 firmware is v2.3.5.30.

Is there a fix?? 

TIA,

Message 9 of 12
Haj
Aspirant
Aspirant

My fix was to ditch the Orbi router since Netgear was doing and has done nothing to fix this issue.

Message 10 of 12
Haj
Aspirant
Aspirant

This stock response, which you paste into responses all over this forum, and in fact had already pasted into TWO other replies is fundamentally unhelpful.  It was unhelpful the first two times you responded in relation to clearly documented issue.  The most recent poster had clearly read the thread (includng the two other times you posted the unhelpful paste job) so there was zero reason to add the same response yet again.  It is nice to want to help others but posting the same worthless thing for the THIRD time in the same thread is, like I said, fundamentally unhelpful

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

May have been unhelpful to you but clearly other users haven't responded and other users have different configurations and environements. Not every one has the system configurations and envrionments. Also there is newer FW as well newer than v8 that you didn't test out either. But you'll not know if that helped you or not since you moved on. Mines working fine on v16. 

Will let the others respond. 

Glad you found something that works. 

Good luck. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7