Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware Update 2.0x but still no option for enforced 5Ghz connection

Randnik_2017
Tutor

Firmware Update 2.0x but still no option for enforced 5Ghz connection

Dear all,

I am really frustrated by now, new firmware but still no solution for the problem that most of my apple and android devices all capable of 5Ghz connectivity are forced down to 2.4Ghz connectivity.

Really disappointing for such an expensive WiFi system. Can’t recommend some product like this to friends.

why is Netgear not listening to their customers and supply an option/fix in their firmware to enforce 5Ghz connectivity for devices??

FIX THIS NETGEAR !!!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5
st_shaw
Master

Orbi does not "force" your iOS and Android devices to use 2.4 GHz.  Your devices make the decision, based on the signal strength they receive. Your devices are deciding that the 5 GHz signal is inferior and choosing 2.4 GHz.

You should complain to Apple and the other manufacturers of your devices and ask them to add an option to select a specific WiFi band.

Meanwhile, lowering Orbi's power on 2.4 GHz should help your devices stay on 5 GHz.  Or, you could create separate SSIDs as shown in this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

Message 2 of 5
Randnik_2017
Tutor

Thanks a lot for the reply. 

Actually, it's only half true. 

It's Netgear setting the Signal level thresholds when a device is enforced to switch over from the 5 to the 2.4 band and vice versa. You can't influence currently. The defined Levels seem to be quite high. 

One solution path might be then to make policy rules available for each device based on the MAC address to set the signal threshold level individually for the 5 GHz band when the device falls back to the 5 GHz band. 

That should be not to difficult for Netgear to implementiert.

Message 3 of 5
st_shaw
Master

I don't have any problem with my iOS or Android devices preferring 2.4 GHz, so this is not a fundamental issue with Orbi.  It's more likely something due to your environment--poor 5 GHz propagation or high noise levels.

Also, you're saying you believe Orbi is forcing devices from the 5 GHz band to 2.4 GHz band. This should not happen if you have a good 5 GHz signal. The main purpose of band steering is to steer devices to 5 GHz, so Orbi is almost certainly not steering devices to 2.4 GHz. You must have poor 5 GHz signal where your devices are located and/or a 2.4 GHz signal that's too strong.

Start by reducing your 2.4 GHz power, as I suggested.  Set the power to 50% or even 25%.  That will help ensure the 2.4 GHz is not stronger than the 5 GHz. Band steering can have issues if the 2.4 GHz band is much stronger than the 5 GHz.

Message 4 of 5
Randnik_2017
Tutor

Thanks a lot again for the reply and suggestions.

But after trying solves the problem only to some extent.

Point is: before installing the Orbi I had an Asus access point and sitting next room at the position I sit now I had still a level of signal strength with 5 GHz with decent speed. The Orbi switches me at the same position to 2.4 GHz even with reduced 2.4 GHz band to 25% signal strength. So I think the threshold of Orbi for switch over is still set too high in the default mode.

If you want to avoid  a separate 5GHz SSID with the Orbi and keep the universal mesh SSID Orbi should allow for individual device policy settings for determining switch over from 5 to 2.4 band. That would allow to fine tune the system to given needs without giving up the universal mesh SSID. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7