Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware V2.5.1.22 seems to be creating problems with Orbi Satellite RBS40

kpretlaw
Aspirant

Re: Firmware V2.5.1.22 seems to be creating problems with Orbi Satellite RBS40

@Mstrbig wrote:

@kpretlaw wrote:

Thanks for the note.  I went to the download site today and interestingly, I don't see v2.5.1.22 anymore.  They only list v2.5.1.16.  Looks like they may have pulled 22 unless I just am looking in the wrong spot.  Where did you get v2.7.0.70?  I will rebuild my original set-up when I can get some time.

v2.5.1.22 and v2.7.0.70 are auto updates that were never on to official download site. Some users leaked them on the forums. So they are not considered official releases, even though Netgear pushed them to certain Netgear Orbi products. If you search for Orbi firmware 2.7.0.70, you will find downloads for them. But be warned some have reported issues with any firmware over 2.5.1.16, so update at your own risk. However a factory reset may have to be done, before they work correctly.  

It is my opinion that all the firmware releases from 2.5.1.16 on, are fine for updating, and any issues users have may be a result of updating the router before updating the satellites, fail to reboot, power or just an update overwrite glitch.

I cannot speak for others but my 2.7.0.70 system was running so stable, I just updated my personal RBK50 system to 2.7.0.70 and have no complaints, after resetting some device WIFI connections and rebooting the system.

You said something interesting here that I hadn't considered....the order of firmware updating.  So, your recommendation is to update satellites first and then the router.  I'll give that a try when I rebuild.

Message 26 of 35
Mstrbig
Master

@kpretlaw wrote:

You said something interesting here that I hadn't considered....the order of firmware updating.  So, your recommendation is to update satellites first and then the router.  I'll give that a try when I rebuild.

I can't take credit as it's actually not my recommendation, but written in the Orbi manual and support page "How do I update the firmware of my Orbi WiFi System?" 

Message 27 of 35
kent11
Aspirant

Rif.: Firmware V2.5.1.22 seems to be creating problems with Orbi Satellite RBS40

@GCassulo wrote:

Hi, also my Orbi RBR 40 (connected to RBW30 satellite) has updated to v2.5.1.22 too and since that I have some connections problem.

Obviously the v2.5.1.22 has issue and just try to manually restore the v2.5.1.16 then unplug both devices for awhile. If that still doesn't work, then you may have to reset the devices, although I doubted if the resetting process according to the manual is actually work as I tried the reset and my experience was all the old setting, including device name, SSID and even password, were still there afterward. But at that time the firmware version was the one before v2.5.1.16 so hopefully they have fixed the issue.

Message 28 of 35
GCassulo
Aspirant

Rif.: Firmware V2.5.1.22 seems to be creating problems with Orbi Satellite RBS40

Today i have downgraded my RBR40 firmware from V2.5.1.22 to V2.5.1.16.

After reboot in Firmware update section I see that there is a new version V.2.5.1.22 but if I looking for it on Netgear site I can't find it.

Where came from this verision ?

Message 29 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

IT's on NGs auto update servers however has not been posted to the public download web site as of yet. You don't have to update either. 

@GCassulo wrote:

Today i have downgraded my RBR40 firmware from V2.5.1.22 to V2.5.1.16.

After reboot in Firmware update section I see that there is a new version V.2.5.1.22 but if I looking for it on Netgear site I can't find it.

Where came from this verision ?

Message 30 of 35
Xalint
Aspirant

When you check for new firmware in the router interface it was offered. I had updated to it a week a go or so still no issue out of it.

Message 31 of 35
jarih67
Aspirant

Hi. I am facing exactly the same issue. How was it resolved?
Message 32 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 33 of 35
Xalint
Aspirant

This firmware V2.5.1.22 is a older firmware at this point just install 2.6.1.38. 

Message 34 of 35
npapanik70
Aspirant

On the site the latest fw are: 2.6.1.36 and 2.6.1.38 for the sattelite: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbk40.aspx#RBR40%20Firmware%20Version%202.6.1.36

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 35 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7