Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware not updating on NetGear web site or via smart phone

LaSabana
Aspirant

Firmware not updating on NetGear web site or via smart phone

Unable to update firmware from the website or from my smart phone. This system is equipped with Satellite RBW30. On the Smart phone i am seeing CHECK FIRMWARE Error and on the ORBI site i get an indication the Firmware-Failed upload. Up to this point i have never experienced this error. Any thoughts anyone? Thanks

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Manual update requires that the zip file be "unpacked" to extract the actual firmware image, which in the case of the RBW30 has a file extension of chk. It is not clear from the post if that step was done.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 21

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

can you try connecting directly to the web site of the RBW30 satellite.  Its IP address will appear in the web interface Attached Devices display.

Message 2 of 21
LaSabana
Aspirant

Thanks Crimp On,  I have the Satellite IP address;  is there some action should take with IP address?

Message 3 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

the satellite web page should have a menu item for "Firmware Update", where you can upload the *.chk file that came from Netgear support site.

Message 4 of 21
LaSabana
Aspirant

Thanks CrimpOn,
Are you suggesting that I log into the satellite ip address site and see if there is a firmware update?
Message 5 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry. I got ahead of myself.  I see now that the question is how to check whether the satellite has the most current firmware and neither the Orbi web interface nor the Orbi "app" are doing that correctly.

The definitive way to know if there is new firmware for an Orbi device is to check the Netgear support web site.

For the Orbi RBS30, this site is:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBW30.aspx#download 

which says that v2.6.2.2 is the most recent firmware.

Connecting to the satellite web page will display the firmware version currently running on the satellite, i.e.

http://<IP address of satellite>

If you want to change the firmware on the satellite, the process is

• Connect to the support site
  • Select which firmware version you want to load on the satellite
    ("+" sign displays any previous versions.  sometimes people want to "go back" to a previous version)
  • Download the relevant zip file
  • Unpack the firmware from the zip file.
    (RBW30 firmware files have a file extension of "chk" rather than "img")
  • Connect directly to the satellite and select the menu item Firmware Update

Hope this helps

Message 6 of 21
LaSabana
Aspirant

Thanks again CrimpOn,
V2.6.2.2 is current update for this satellite. Maybe when manually forcing an update the default message is to indicate "Firmware check error", but otherwise, the system is current or updated.
Message 7 of 21
LaSabana
Aspirant

Thanks CrimpOn for this info. I apologize for not replying sooner--opps much soonerSmiley Very Happy I'll check out this site. Up until recently the ORBI app on my phone and IPAD would update the firmware but that is no longer the case. Thanks again

Message 8 of 21
LaSabana
Aspirant

Hi CrimpOn, 

Thanks for your feedback much appreciated. I went into netgear.com/support and i see that the latest version for RBW30-Satelite is V2.6.2.6 vs my current 2.6.2.2. I downloaded the file to my computer and then opened ORBI gateway and went to manual Satelite update and then located the file to upload and did so however, I received an error indicating that the file cannot be uploaded. Apparently, the file extension should be .img vs .chd. Any thoughts? I am concerned with latest Malware that attacks mesh systems. Thanks again.

Message 9 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

Someone inside Netgear did not get the memo about *.img files and created the RBS30 satellite with *.chk firmware files.

I believe the way to handle this is to connect directly to the RBW30 satellite's web page by using the IP address of the satellite, and then select the menu item Firmware Update.

* of course, there was no 'memo'. it's just crazy and stupid.

Message 10 of 21
LaSabana
Aspirant

Thanks CrimpOn, i download the IP address for the Satelite RBW30 but i don't see a tab for for firmware update?

Message 11 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

Oh, fudge.  I do not have an RBW30 satellite.  Can you connect to the satellite, make a screen capture of the home screen, save it as a jpg file, and then "Attach" it to a post using the "Browse" button in the lower left?  (The Photos icon in the menu bar does not allow anyone else to see images until they are approved by a forum moderator, which can take days.)

I have attached a screen shot of my RBS50 home page

Message 12 of 21
LaSabana
Aspirant

Thanks again i'll give this a try.

Message 13 of 21
LaSabana
Aspirant

Hi CrimpOn,

This is becoming maddening almost an obsessionSmiley Mad I am trying to locate on my Orbi gateway the satelliteRBW30 layout that is similar to one you attached so that I can forward but I guess I am at a loss as to where to locate this schematic. You would you mind clarifying how to locate this layout? Thanks again.

Message 14 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

What I did was open my web browser,  connect to the Orbi router  (http://orbilogin.net), navigate to the Attached Devices page, and copy down the IP address of the satellite.  (In my case, satellites are 192.168.1.5, 192.168.1.50, and 192.168.1.70 because I did not "plan ahead" when setting up the Orbi.  What the OCD me now would rather have is all the Orbi's at the first: 1,2,3,4... But, I set up the router and connected two computers and a printer (which got 2,3,4) before adding the satellite (which got 5).  Three years later, I added another satellite, which got 50.  Then this fall I added yet another satellite, which got 70.)

Now open the satellite web page in the browser as http://<ip address of satellite>

That should bring up the home page of the satellite.

Message 15 of 21
LaSabana
Aspirant

thanks Ill give this a try. Thanks again

Message 16 of 21
LaSabana
Aspirant

Hi CrimpOn,

I finally located the ISP page for my RBW30 Satellite-it is the same page that you attached previously. I went to the Firmware update location and click on it  which went into the Browse File. I located the the file on my computer for RBW30-V2.6.2.6 1.0 zip which I downloaded directly from ORBI downloads. (This this the most current Version-V2.6.2.6 1.0 16 zip) And I clicked on UPDATE and I get a message that the Update Failed. 

So far, I have tried to update this RBW30 Satellite;

• Online update via ORBI login Portal
  • Manual update via ORBI login Portal
  • Manual update via my Android App
  • And lastly, Manual update via the RBW30 ISP Satellite page.

Do you have any other thoughts as to how I might download to the most current update? I hate to give up this task especailly when I see that there is another most recent version update. Thanks again.

Message 17 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

Manual update requires that the zip file be "unpacked" to extract the actual firmware image, which in the case of the RBW30 has a file extension of chk. It is not clear from the post if that step was done.

Message 18 of 21
LaSabana
Aspirant

Thanks CrimpOn for your quick reply. Much appreciated. When I extracted the Compressed Zipped File RBW30-V2.6.2.6_1.0 16 I got the following;

• RBW30- V2.6.2.6_1.0 16CHK
  • and RBW30-V2.6.2.6_1.0 16 Release Notes

Is there another step that I missed? Thank you

Message 19 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

(sorry for the delay. watching Olympic ice skaters)

Yes, this is correct. What I suggest is to connect directly to the RBW30 web page using the IP address of the RBW30. Select the "Firmware Update" menu item (bottom). Then browse to and select the *.chk file.

Message 20 of 21
LaSabana
Aspirant

Good Morning CrimpOn, it worked!!Smiley Very Happy the 2.6.2.6 downloaded with out much issue. Going forward is this process i will need to use if i see an update from Orbi that has not automatically updated. Thanks again for your patience and expertise. Be safe.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7