Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Frequently switching between 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz

sh2sg
Apprentice

Frequently switching between 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz

Not sure if it is due to macOS Big Sur or Orbi 2.5.2.4 firmware,I noticed my MacBook Pro (late 2013) frequently switched between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, laptop is always right beside RBS50 satellite.

I used an app called Wi-Fi Signal, which allows you to put annonation based on BSSID (2.4Ghz/5Ghz's Mac Address) and displays the annonation on top menu bar, so I can easily know which node which band I am connecting to, it also sends notifications when network is changed, I started using this app after upgraded to macOS Big Sur, so I am not sure if the same behavior existed in previous versions of macOS or Orbi firmware...

Any Mac users noticed the same?

Screenshot 2020-11-27 at 12.31.37.png

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

You might try v40:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

I haven't tried v4 FW, I know 16 works well with my Mac Book Pro.

Message 2 of 8
sh2sg
Apprentice

It works 'well' too if I don't use the software to monitor WiFi node/band change... since it will always auto-switch back to 5Ghz.

I am not aware of new version of firmware 2.6.1.40, it is in the RBK53 download page but not in Orbi Admin page or Orbi app. Will try it. 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

You might try v40:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

I haven't tried v4 FW, I know 16 works well with my Mac Book Pro.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I would reset and setup from scratch afterwards...

Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@sh2sg wrote:

I used an app called Wi-Fi Signal, which allows you to put annonation based on BSSID (2.4Ghz/5Ghz's Mac Address) and displays the annonation on top menu bar, so I can easily know which node which band I am connecting to, it also sends notifications when network is changed, I started using this app after upgraded to macOS Big Sur, so I am not sure if the same behavior existed in previous versions of macOS or Orbi firmware...

Well, fudge.  I cannot find a version of this software for Android and/or Windows.

Message 5 of 8
sh2sg
Apprentice

@CrimpOn wrote:

@sh2sg wrote:

Well, fudge.  I cannot find a version of this software for Android and/or Windows.

Looks like it is only available in macOS

Message 6 of 8
sh2sg
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I would reset and setup from scratch afterwards...

Tried 2.6.1.40, didn't reset, just upgraded.

It still happned in the first few hours after upgrade, but after that, it didn't auto-switch any more, stay on 5Ghz... almost 3 days now.

I don't think it is Orbi hardware or firmware issue, I have 2 other MacBook at home, they didn't have this problem at all...

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, I guess let it run and see if it happens again. If it does, try a reset and setup from scratch, if still happens, I'd downgrade to v16. Most table FW currently. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7