Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Frustrating WIFI Drops - RBR50V2

gebert63
Follower

Frustrating WIFI Drops - RBR50V2

We had a perfecting working system (1 RBR50V2 with (2) RBS50V2 Satellites. We received them in a single box as a kit.  It ran great for over 15 months and we couldn't be happier with it.  About a month back give or take, it started intermittently dropping the abiltiy to reach the internet when on WIFI.  Our devices are talking to the WIFI, but they can't get to the internet.  We have a computer hardwired through the modem, so we know the internet is functioning fine.   Recycling power sometimes fixes the problems and sometimes, it fixes itself.  What happened in the last 6 weeks to cause this?  Recently, it is down more than it is operational.  Did Netgear push a Firmware (currently on v2.7.2.104) that might of caused this?  We are 35 - 40 feet between Satellites and have not moved nor touched anything.   Frustrating!!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
vajim
Master

Re: Frustrating WIFI Drops - RBR50V2

@gebert63 wrote:

We had a perfecting working system (1 RBR50V2 with (2) RBS50V2 Satellites. We received them in a single box as a kit.  It ran great for over 15 months and we couldn't be happier with it.  About a month back give or take, it started intermittently dropping the abiltiy to reach the internet when on WIFI.  Our devices are talking to the WIFI, but they can't get to the internet.  We have a computer hardwired through the modem, so we know the internet is functioning fine.   Recycling power sometimes fixes the problems and sometimes, it fixes itself.  What happened in the last 6 weeks to cause this?  Recently, it is down more than it is operational.  Did Netgear push a Firmware (currently on v2.7.2.104) that might of caused this?  We are 35 - 40 feet between Satellites and have not moved nor touched anything.   Frustrating!!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this.

2.7.2.104 is faulty but I doubt netgear pushed it 

Message 2 of 13
sspoly77
Aspirant

I have an RBR50 and I've recently had the same issue.  Devices can connect to the wifi, but not the internet.  Devices hard wired into the base, or satelites work just fine, but anything wifi doesn't.

I can reboot the router and things will work fine for about 10 minutes or so, then nothing wifi will connect to the internet anymore.

Modem is a Aris Surfboard TM822R

Router is RBR50 with the new update just pushed V2.7.2.104

Orbi is in Router mode.

The issue started before the update was installed I believe, but now it's constant.  I can reboot the router and things can connect for a bit, then they just stop working.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 13
vajim
Master

@sspoly77 wrote:

I have an RBR50 and I've recently had the same issue.  Devices can connect to the wifi, but not the internet.  Devices hard wired into the base, or satelites work just fine, but anything wifi doesn't.

I can reboot the router and things will work fine for about 10 minutes or so, then nothing wifi will connect to the internet anymore.

Modem is a Aris Surfboard TM822R

Router is RBR50 with the new update just pushed V2.7.2.104

Orbi is in Router mode.

The issue started before the update was installed I believe, but now it's constant.  I can reboot the router and things can connect for a bit, then they just stop working.

The issue started before the update was installed I believe, but now it's constant.

only you will know that 

how often do you update your firmware?

Message 4 of 13
sspoly77
Aspirant

very rarely.  It was having some drop issues so I installed the new update. Not sure if it was the same issue or not.

Message 5 of 13
vajim
Master

@sspoly77 wrote:

very rarely.  It was having some drop issues so I installed the new update. Not sure if it was the same issue or not.

Do a search in here

lots of folks complaining about V2.7.2.104

some roll the firmware back

others play 1000 questions to nowhere 

Message 6 of 13
vajim
Master

@sspoly77 wrote:

You may want to reach out to @Ha_Ku_Na 

he claims to be able to fix this 

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Be sure to disable Traffic Meter if you have it enabled. 

@sspoly77 wrote:

Message 8 of 13
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Be sure to disable Traffic Meter if you have it enabled. 

@sspoly77 wrote:

Factory reset to fix firmware?

Message 9 of 13
sspoly77
Aspirant

Didn't try a factory Reset, but did a firmwear downgrade to 2.3.5.30.  So far it sems to be working fine after 5 hours or so.

Message 10 of 13
vajim
Master

@sspoly77 wrote:

Didn't try a factory Reset, but did a firmwear downgrade to 2.3.5.30.  So far it sems to be working fine after 5 hours or so.

good decision

now leave it alone and be very leary about future firmware updates

Message 11 of 13
SCMrEason
Guide

I have same Orbi and was having the same problem in late March, after working perfectly for five months. This solution worked for me (thanks again @CrimpOn, I'm just paying it forward).

"There is a horrible situation that started with the change in Daylight Saving Time that causes certain Orbi RBR50 routers to stop resolving Domain Names until they are restarted. Netgear engineers have traced the problem to a coding error in the Traffic Meter feature. Looks like there is abolutely no chance Netgear will release a firmware fix before April, so the easiest solution is to go into the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Traffic Meter (toward the bottom of the menu) and uncheck "Enable Traffic Meter" and Apply." - @CrimpOn 

Message 12 of 13
SCMrEason
Guide

I have same Orbi and was having the same problem in late March, after working perfectly for five months. This solution worked for me (thanks again @CrimpOn, I'm just paying it forward).

"There is a horrible situation that started with the change in Daylight Saving Time that causes certain Orbi RBR50 routers to stop resolving Domain Names until they are restarted. Netgear engineers have traced the problem to a coding error in the Traffic Meter feature. Looks like there is abolutely no chance Netgear will release a firmware fix before April, so the easiest solution is to go into the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Traffic Meter (toward the bottom of the menu) and uncheck "Enable Traffic Meter" and Apply." - @CrimpOn 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7