Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Gigabit line now operating at 10/100!!

Blair2201
Tutor

Gigabit line now operating at 10/100!!

Hi

I have a RBR40 which runs a hard line (Cat6) to a D-Link DGS-108 switch (about 4 metres) which then runs another hard line (8-10 mtrs) to my RBS40 which located in my garden office.  The cable is terminated to a cat 6 wall plate.  I have a  350mbps broadband service.

When I originally installed the ethernet cable to the garden office I was getting good speeds, however, about a month ago this dropped to below 100mbps.  I checked the line with a ethernet cable tester and all 8 pins are good at both ends.  All patch cables used are either cat6 or cat7.

To add, when terminating the cable to the wall plate in the garden office, I had an issue with all 8 pins lighting up on the tester, which was caused by some of the wire ends not seating properly in the module.  (the cable I bought has flexible wires instead of stiff ones)

I appreciate that this is not essentially an Orbi problem, but if there is anyone that can suggest a cause I would be eternally grateful.  

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 8
Blair2201
Tutor

Re: Gigabit line now operating at 10/100!!

I've done some more research and found that the installation engineer has installed CCA Cat 6 cable - it may have been damaged during installation causing the lowering of speed.  But as the line has run over 300mbps it does beg the question whether there is something else at fault.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

Have you tried a different switch? 

Message 3 of 8
Blair2201
Tutor

Not as yet.  Because the drop outs happen maybe once a day; it's not something that you can check works instantly, but I will plug in the Netgear Switch.

Also I found out that the Installation engineer used Cat6 CCA cable, not solid copper - and as CCA is brittle, it may have been damaged during installation; I'm wondering if that's a contributing factor? 

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

tough to say 100%.
I'd try testing the things you can test.
For a test, if you have a long cable, just temporarily run a cable to the satellite and run it for a period (doesn't have to be the full distance, just at least 30ft). See if it stays stable and gets full speeds.
If it does then it narrows it to either the switch or the cabling. Then you could try a different switch to see if that fixes it
Message 5 of 8
Blair2201
Tutor

It never occured to me, to run a separate cable from the same switch to check speeds.  I'll get some cable ordered and try it out.  Thanks for your help.

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

also try it directly off the router. Just helps narrow what could cause the problem
Message 7 of 8
Blair2201
Tutor

Will do plemans

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7